[Mk2] [NA] noob question about fitting bodykit

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

DotNetter

[Mk2] [NA] noob question about fitting bodykit

Post by DotNetter »

Hi all

I'm interested in fitting a bodykit to my two but I know nothing about what's invloved.

depending obviously on what type I went for, are side skirts stuck on to the body work? I only ask as I may one day want to return it to standard and I wouldn't want to ruin the existing body or paintwork - is it avoidable or is fitting a kit a one-way option?

cheers

Wayne
blue2

Re: [Mk2] [NA] noob question about fitting bodykit

Post by blue2 »

Nope, you can either screw on or glue on. You can take off using either method. Mine is screwed on and you cant see any screws, I think there is only 2 holes on each side. Are you fitting it yourself?
DotNetter

Post by DotNetter »

blue2 wrote:Nope, you can either screw on or glue on. You can take off using either method. Mine is screwed on and you cant see any screws, I think there is only 2 holes on each side. Are you fitting it yourself?

Not even fully decided on getting one yet, just playing with some ideas really.

How much is involved in DIY fittng? and if I screw skirts in place, I assume I'll be messing up the original body underneath (although granted any holes can be filled later if kit was removed)?

I'd also want it painting the same colour as car - original Toyota Red so should be fine but will most spray shops need to match paint against car to ensure an even match (given that the paint on these cars does pink up over time)?

cheers

Wayne
blue2

Post by blue2 »

Hi, not sure whats involved in fitting diy, I had mine fitted. Its a lot cheaper to diy though. For a full kit fitted and sprayed you will be looking at over £1000.

The hardest bit is matching the paint. With a red car the shade will differ slightly around the car. Mine is zircon blue and almost every panel is a slightly different shade.

I was going to have mine permanently attached using screws and filler and have all gaps filled in. But, if I ever cracked them or damaged them it would be a real pain in the ass to replace. Now its just a case of unscrewing and replacing.

All in all though having a kit makes your car look a lot better in my opinion :D
DotNetter

Post by DotNetter »

blue2 wrote:Hi, not sure whats involved in fitting diy, I had mine fitted. Its a lot cheaper to diy though. For a full kit fitted and sprayed you will be looking at over £1000.

The hardest bit is matching the paint. With a red car the shade will differ slightly around the car. Mine is zircon blue and almost every panel is a slightly different shade.

I was going to have mine permanently attached using screws and filler and have all gaps filled in. But, if I ever cracked them or damaged them it would be a real pain in the ass to replace. Now its just a case of unscrewing and replacing.

All in all though having a kit makes your car look a lot better in my opinion :D

Just looked at your profile - we talking about the Bomex kit you got?

I was thinking of that too (or maybe the Border kit) - £375 seems a good price - was that on ebay???

I was thinking of getting it professionally sprayed and then fitting it myself but I'll have to wait and see :)

Got any pics of yours - your profile pic is obvioulsy without.

Cheers

Wayne
SFLee

Post by SFLee »

people usually fitted then spray, because bodykit need adjustment to fit, and painting first then fit usually usually endup make paint peel or chip etc,
blue2

Post by blue2 »

Yeah I haven't uploaded any pics lately. Ive got a new phone and I havent quite worked ut how to upload them yet, I will do. At the moment my car is at woodsport having a v6 engine fitted :twisted: Ill take some when its back.

I got the bomex kit off a member on here, cant remember the name though. It was a good deal as I think these kits go for over £600 and are only available from Japan, which means the instructions are in japanese too doh!

I can pic text you some if you want, got 2 on my phone here just need a mobile number. :D
DotNetter

Post by DotNetter »

blue2 wrote:Yeah I haven't uploaded any pics lately. Ive got a new phone and I havent quite worked ut how to upload them yet, I will do. At the moment my car is at woodsport having a v6 engine fitted :twisted: Ill take some when its back.

I got the bomex kit off a member on here, cant remember the name though. It was a good deal as I think these kits go for over £600 and are only available from Japan, which means the instructions are in japanese too doh!

I can pic text you some if you want, got 2 on my phone here just need a mobile number. :D

You have PM mate ;)
Monaco

Post by Monaco »

First point...

Always fit the unpainted kit first, get it sitting right, then remove and send it off to be painted; There's always going to be some trimming and fettling required to get 99% of aftermarket kits to fit properly.

If you take your time with fitting, then it should be posible to put on a set of side skirts without causing too much damage to the car body after removal. Just make sure that any holes you drill are given a lick of paint so the bare metal doesn't start to rust underneath the kit.
DotNetter

Post by DotNetter »

I'd put silicone around any drill holes just to give some extra protection too - I think I heard that somewhere else.
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

best option would be too buy a kit that someone is selling second hand, the ebay kits can more times than not become a bit off a nightmare to fit and repair... :-k
MikeyMR2

Post by MikeyMR2 »

hi mate,

To put it in simple terms with kits - the more you can spend on the kit itself the better the fit should be. This is not always the case, but mostly true.

As previously stated trial fit the kit before sending it off to be painted. the bodyshop should be able to get a decent match if you take your car down to them, they should have varient chips that shade the colour to get it as close as possible to whats on your car.

If you need any paint advise just drop me a PM (Im a Paint sprayer and have fitted a couple of kits on various cars)

Cheers

Mikey
Spittinflames

Post by Spittinflames »

Silkoflex or Tigerseal is about the best stuff for bonding your side skirts on with, Theres no real need to screw it on anywhere. Your side strips will hold the rear half on and the sealer will run down by your door, a few blobs on the inside of your arches and your done.

Front and rear use exsisting mounting points so no worries about changing it back to standard.

100 pounds per item is about right for spraying so your looking at 300 quid for both bumpers and a pair of sides.

As mentioned before, fit them unpaited, drill out any holes in the new bumpers that need drilling, sand down parts that are a bit ruff and pay paticular attention to the front bumper side light holes. I made the mistake of not test fitting the sidelights first before paint and found that they needed a bit of fiberglass shaving off on the passenger side to get the light in.... bit of a downer after you've just had it painted.

Return to “Modifications”