[All] [Generic] Running in a new engine ? this will change your thoughts....

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

lower

Re: [All] [Generic] Running in a new engine ? this will change your thoughts....

Post by lower »

Well that's not true for the F20c engine in the s2000.

Honda fills with mineral oil, and adds a molydenum additive.

It tells you in the handbook, and i've been through it enough.

5 engines in the last 2 S2000's, all 3 replacements have been done by dealers under warranty, all filled with mineral oil with the additive and switch to fully synth on the first service.
mattcambs

Re: [All] [Generic] Running in a new engine ? this will change your thoughts....

Post by mattcambs »

Interesting to read Maserati's (and Ferrari's) approach [taken from current issue of EVO magazine]:

Maserati's engines are built at Ferrari too, where they are also fully bench tested (run for around an hour, stepping up the revs in stages until maximum power is reached and maintained for the final five minutes).....

.....The advice from the factory is to keep below 5000rpm for the first 1000km, as while a new GranTurismo's engine might be run in, the drivetrain isn't.

You get what you pay for I suppose. Also, I assume bench testing an engine means it is effectively under load?
Caribbean_Blue

Post by Caribbean_Blue »

Very interesting read. Makes sense why a mate - going back to the VW Glof GTi days he went through 2 new engines as he was babying the run in.

Great thread. :thumleft:
Running: 313.8BHP @ fly and 285lb torque on 1.15bar.
MY MR2 FOR SALE: http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=109986

Return to “Mechanical”