[Mk2] [Turbo] CC advice

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Extubby

[Mk2] [Turbo] CC advice

Post by Extubby »

Hi

I am currently running an xspower intercooler and although it's ok I believe I will gain more bhp/torque and be safer if running a cc.
If I change to a cc can I keep my air con?
Is there a fitting guide anywhere?
The picture below is what I am thinking of buying but am unsure if everything is there that I need.
Any advice will be great.

tomwoodis

205CC

Post by tomwoodis »

Yes mate you can keep the AC. Only problem with keeping it is finding enough space behind your bumper to accomodate 3 radiators which you will need if you want to keep it.

I have one fitted and all 3 fit behind the bumper but then thats because I have a bomex nose cone which has more space behind than normal I think.

That pic you have added seems to have all that you would need. In the end all you really want is the core and pump as all the other bits will have to be different from the Celica setup i.e:

a) You will need lots more pipework than for a celica as your engine is in th boot (obviously)

b) you will need a much smaller chargecooler radiator in order to get it to fit behind the bumper. Most people use a fiat cinqecento radiator as its about the smallest you will find and costs about £60 new.

Can't help on the guide im afraid

Tom
Extubby

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] CC advice

Post by Extubby »

Tom

Thank you for the reply. Will I see much advantage over the xspower intercooler?

Ad
tomwoodis

any better

Post by tomwoodis »

No problem - happy to help.

I think the general consensus about the xspower intercoolers is that they are actually pretty good once they are plumbed in correctly. The problem seems to be more to do with poor fitting than them not being upto the job.

That said I can't see how an air to air intercooler can beat a watercooled system it just doesnt figure in my mind (although this will cause argument I have no doubt).

Compare it to PC's as an example. People are ditching fans and radiators inside computers in favour of watercooling when they are producing loads of heat as its more effective than air cooling. My opinion is the same about cars but thats just my 2p.

Reliability is another issue though. Although my Chargecooler is brilliant at what it does its really quite hard to get the system not to leak! This is because I have various reducer sections near the radiators at the front and it leaks slightly around the seals. This isn't really a problem it just means I have to top it up every now and again however if you were to forget and run it dry this could cause an issue. In the end you wont every have reliability issues like that with your XS power intercooler :-k

My honest opinion though is that the CC is still a better option for what it is especially if you want to run big boost etc.

Tom
Extubby

Post by Extubby »

Has anybody got any further advice on this?
EarL

Post by EarL »

CC every time mate. :thumleft:

When your mates cars are all heatsoaking in the queue for the strip with their IC's, yours will be quietly cooling itself ready for launch.

My Radtech CC never leaked a drop... :wink:

EarL.
karammander

Post by karammander »

yeah definatly cc all the way, as earl said its just gonna keep things cooler in traffic and launch situations.

cheers karam
mishadbull

Post by mishadbull »

I would love my Rogue/Radtech charge cooler set up more if I did not have to fix it every 12 months.

Mike
davyboy

Post by davyboy »

mishadbull wrote:I would love my Rogue/Radtech charge cooler set up more if I did not have to fix it every 12 months.

Mike

Whats the problem with it Mike, I'm looking into buying one, I thought they were pretty bombproof...?
Thanks
Dave
mishadbull

Post by mishadbull »

Well ~ 12 months after I installed it I had to have the core rebuilt (FOC) then when I pulled my AC I had to re engineer a mount option and found my pump had gone belly up, now my pump has gone belly up again!

Mike
Ja99a

Post by Ja99a »

My advice is use as much of the st205 setup as possible the craig davis pumps, bilge pumps etc are no where near as good as the stock st205 items, they flow way less.

Other 1st hand advice is to mount the pump head lower than the CC tank, otherwise bleeding the system is hard.

Use 19/20mm pipe dont size down/up to pipe up and down the car, use a good large rad, don't run the pump flat out have its speed reduced or temp switched etc.

If your fitting to a rev2 use the st185 sock its tight but removes the throttle body step, don't cut the pipes on the CC core they can be bent using a rubber hammer etc to make them fit as can the main intake hose (be gentle here).

Finally if you get it right cutting off the brackets on the CC core only needs to happen to the passenger side ones and the driver side one can be used to secure to the cylinder head.

Hope this helps

Return to “Modifications”