[Mk2] [Turbo] Time for oil change?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

dawolf

[Mk2] [Turbo] Time for oil change?

Post by dawolf »

Hi all. My turbo last had an oil and filter change in mid-October. It's done just over 4k miles since then (I do a lot of miles due to work). I'm using 10w40 semi-synthetic oil. Is it best I change it asap or can I leave it in a bit longer? Also, I guess it's best to change the filter at the same time? The oil has turned slightly dark but it's not too bad.

Cheers.
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Time for oil change?

Post by Martin F »

4k - 6 k is recommended....

personally i use fully synthetic, change every 2k miles and give the engine a 10 min flush with some cheap oil...but ive been known to waste money #-o
C50

Post by C50 »

i change oil in my crx every 5k so surely on a tubby maybe less.
tomwoodis

Fully-Synth

Post by tomwoodis »

I wouldn't run a part synthetic oil in a Tubby to be honest. Go for Fully synthetic next time and yes you should definately change the filter at the same time whenever the oil is changed. Oil changs is recomended every 6k miles and should be fine for most people. If you are hammering your car around tracks and stuff then change it more regularly.

Both oil and filter are cheap (relatively) especially if you do it yourself which isnt as hard as you might think if your not already comfortable with doing it.

Make sure whoever sells you a new oil filter gives you the right one. Last time i ordered online I got sent a filter for an NA which is shorter than the tubby one.

Think the tubby one is 13cm long IIRC. Sure someone will confirm

Tom
dawolf

Post by dawolf »

I'm happy using 10w40 to be honest. Myself and the previous owner have only used this grade and the car is running fine. I'll get the oil and filter changed pretty soon then. Cheers.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”