[Mk2] [Turbo] max boost pressure

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

niall

[Mk2] [Turbo] max boost pressure

Post by niall »

hi all, was wondering if any body would know the max psi i should run on my 1990 turbo mr2, i have a hybrid ct26, xspower i/c, powerflow exhaust with cat still in place, hks mushroom filter and a fuel cut device in place.
any thoughts on the subject would be much appricated. ](*,)
JAP BOY

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] max boost pressure

Post by JAP BOY »

For starters mate its better to run at 13psi!!!

Secondly i wud go for a stanalone ECU or a piggy back just to get the car running safely its better to make this a priority in my books!!!! :)

Also if your after a power hike get rid of the CAT not sure they came on 1990 Tubbys though!!!
XS power I/C please let us know if it does cool or work at all mixed opinions on XS power goods on here!!!

Also i take it you have some means of upping the boost have you got a boost gauge also by fitting a Uprated I/C + Exhaust you will be raising the boost slighly anyway!!!! :)
Spittinflames

Post by Spittinflames »

JAP BOY wrote:For starters mate its better to run at 13psi!!!

Secondly i wud go for a stanalone ECU or a piggy back just to get the car running safely its better to make this a priority in my books!!!! :)

Also if your after a power hike get rid of the CAT not sure they came on 1990 Tubbys though!!!
XS power I/C please let us know if it does cool or work at all mixed opinions on XS power goods on here!!!

Also i take it you have some means of upping the boost have you got a boost gauge also by fitting a Uprated I/C + Exhaust you will be raising the boost slighly anyway!!!! :)

Xs power intercoolers are decent.... its the couplings that are shocking.

Whats the deal with everybody harping on about Ecu's just latley..... Everytime someone mentions a mod to there engine the first reply they get is........ i would stick a link/apexi ecu on there :roll: Why???? Oh yeah cause half the tuning companys on here tell us too...... wonder why that is #-o Not everyone has massive amounts of money to get a standalone ecu, your talking proper money... most people are happy with a small increase in boost and the usual bolt on stuff.. Plenty quick enough for the road.
niall

Post by niall »

yea the core of the xspower is meant to be better than standard so for the money it should be fine. also having a ebc fitted monday also, will this act as a boost gauge or will i have to get 1? again any thoughts would be appriciated.
PFrazier

Post by PFrazier »

Which EBC?
Spittinflames

Post by Spittinflames »

I'd get a boost gauge anyway, There cheap enough.
oBladeo

Post by oBladeo »

i was running 16 psi on that lot dude then my oil pump died :(
niall

Post by niall »

was the oil pump fail any thing to do with the pressure being so high?
niall

Post by niall »

its a blitz boost controller, spec s, will this double as a boost gauge. dont want to have to buy 1 if its not needed, its all about function.
JAP BOY

Post by JAP BOY »

Spittinflames wrote:
JAP BOY wrote:For starters mate its better to run at 13psi!!!

Xs power intercoolers are decent.... its the couplings that are shocking.

Whats the deal with everybody harping on about Ecu's just latley..... Everytime someone mentions a mod to there engine the first reply they get is........ i would stick a link/apexi ecu on there :roll: Why???? Oh yeah cause half the tuning companys on here tell us too...... wonder why that is #-o Not everyone has massive amounts of money to get a standalone ecu, your talking proper money... most people are happy with a small increase in boost and the usual bolt on stuff.. Plenty quick enough for the road.

This topic is to help the guy not because you want to moan about every one harping on about ECUs and traders wanting to sell more ECU mate if it bugs you so much start a post in the GENERAL SECTION!!!! :shock:

Niall i'm not asuming you have bucket loads of cash just feedback for you with ideas and things to think about!!! i'm in a similar state of tune to you but i'm only suggesting a ECU to make the most of what you have done mods wise and its a gd investment if later you decide on going for more power!!!!!
niall

Post by niall »

thanks very much jap boy, was out in the car last night, boost peaked at .66 of a bar, than something happened. the car started to judder, no lights lite on dash. sounds like the car is not firing right, think i broke something. no smoke from the car but a bad smell. :pale:
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

niall wrote:thanks very much jap boy, was out in the car last night, boost peaked at .66 of a bar, than something happened. the car started to judder, no lights lite on dash. sounds like the car is not firing right, think i broke something. no smoke from the car but a bad smell. :pale:

Im new to MR2 turbos, but could that be the fuel cut thing kicking in?? Dont you need a Fuel Cut Defender to run higher boost?
omar-s

Post by omar-s »

niall wrote:thanks very much jap boy, was out in the car last night, boost peaked at .66 of a bar, than something happened. the car started to judder, no lights lite on dash. sounds like the car is not firing right, think i broke something. no smoke from the car but a bad smell. :pale:

Do you mean no warning light cam on on the dash or do you mean all the lights on the dash went out?
GT Rich

Post by GT Rich »

Max boost on a Rev 1 mate is 1 bar or 14.5psi but your gonna need a FCD to get it there as soon as you reach 13psi fuel cut will cut in. After you go over 16psi the ecu can't read it properly thanks to the AFM and throws the 440cc injectors on 100% duty cycle.

To go any high your gona have to start doing some bigger mods well more costly as that standard head gasket is as much use as a chocolate tea pot! As soon as you pump up the boost any higher (mods permitting) it ain't gona last very long.

HTH

8)
JAP BOY

Post by JAP BOY »

Sorry to hear that NIALL give us a more in depth view of what went on!!!! :)
niall

Post by niall »

dont know what happened. the boost peaked at .66 of a bar, then the car started to judder. dont think i hit fuel cut, no warning lights on dash but the power and the electrics were intermitant. i have no mechanical experance but it sounds like the car is not firing on all 4 pots. the car starts and then dies straight away. if i feather the gas it will try an run but not right. cheers
JAP BOY

Post by JAP BOY »

Give rogue motorsport a ring mate cuz it sounds abit serious!!!

Return to “Modifications”