[Mk2] [Turbo] Rev2 Tubby - Engine Problem over 6k

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

rossl

[Mk2] [Turbo] Rev2 Tubby - Engine Problem over 6k

Post by rossl »

Hi Guys,

I have a problem with my tubby. It seems that when I take the car over 6k revs for an extended amount of time (basically giving it some) the ecu light comes and the ecu cuts the revs down. Has anyone had a similar problem like this before and if so what could it be? I'm thinking about taking it to rogue for them to have a look. I do not have this problem if im not taking it over 6k and it runs absoultely perfect apart from this. Any ideas?

I've recently bought the car and the turbo is set to13psi, departure exhaust, with a stock ECU as far as I can tell.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Regards
fossie

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Rev2 Tubby - Engine Problem over 6k

Post by fossie »

Quite new to the tubby ownership myself but when raising the boost im sure you mat need a fuel cut defender...

Sure someone will correct me if im wrong
robbie_742003

Post by robbie_742003 »

I reckon its fuel cut as its a Rev2 so stock maximum boost is around 11psi i think, a fuel cut defender might do the trick.
rossl

Post by rossl »

If I upgraded the ECU to something like a link would this negate the need for a fuel cut defender or would I still need to install one?
karammander

Post by karammander »

no you would be fine upgrading to a link, contact 2 bar tuning on here and he can help you through it, i'm currently building my car up for the link install. the only extra equipment you need is a air temp sensor and an inlet air temp sensor.

i would read your fault codes and report back, i think fuel cut brings up code 34.

cheers karam

p.s. this might be helpful
http://www.mr2-tech.com/bgb/mechanical/ ... system.htm
Munnsy

Post by Munnsy »

forgive me if im wrong but you will DEFINATELY know when its fuel cut as it almost throws you through the windscreen, it doesnt just cut the revs down , is it a huge throw forward for you when this happens??? if so then yep def agree fuel cut as is violent, also do you find after that hitting full boost it does it again and again until you turn your car off??? then ecu resets itself??
if again yes then def fuel cut, if no then suggest as stated above really.
Check for fault codes and get back to us :thumleft:
screech205

Post by screech205 »

Sounds like something else TBH mate, you can make full boost below 6k and hit fuel cut and, like others have said, it's like having the brakes stamped on!

Sounds more like a timing/fuelling problem. When you say it cuts the revs down, do you mean it loses boost pressure or do the revs actually drop?

Also what revision car is it mate?

Steve
rossl

Post by rossl »

well guys. thanks for your responses

let me give you a little bit more background information on the car

its a late 1990 black g plate jap tbar turbo, imported into the uk in 1999. it has a divine front splitter with a departure logo on (not sure if phoneix power ever made body kits though, really wankable to look at :))

its basically fully lowered (adjustable) with aftermarket oil pressure, turbo and air/fuel mixture gagues that have been installed by previous owners. the problem i have got is that i dont totally know to what extent it has been modded and if it has been done in the right way which is why i might be having this problem. cause for concern is that the guy i bought it from said dont take it over 5k until the engine has been run in (i have pics and receipts that the engine was out and various bits and pieces replaced only 2 months ago. he only owned the car for a couple of months and he said he sold it to buy a van) but it appears now that he may have said this because when you actually push it over 6k the problem described earlier happens.

its annoying cause it just starts to grow horns and then bang the revs just cut out. apart from this it ticks over like a pearl, starts healthily first time even in the cold and the engine sounds solid. i do not have any problem at all unless im shifting through the gears hard taking it over 6k.

i was told when bought that the turbo is set to 13psi but when driving it definately overboosts as much as to 15psi in some situations (thats if the gauge is accurate)

when the problem happens accelerating hard over 6k it is a violent cut but it doesnt force me through the windscreen but as stated it is violent. the revs and the turbo just cut down (instantly) with total power loss and the ecu light comes on. (the engine does not stall though) one thing i should mention is that i seem to be able to sustain full boost at revs below 6k without having this problem.

do you think i should maybe short the two pins out and get a fault code from the ecu. if it gives me a stored code maybe this could help you in what the problem might be?

( just thought id add that it seems that once the fault does happen, the fault does stay with the car even at lower revs (intermittently) until you have parked the car and left it off for a couple of hours. Once its been left and started its absoultely fine until you push it hard over 6k again)

regards
ross
Munnsy

Post by Munnsy »

:-k parts of it sound like fuel cut but other symptons dont.
Best bet is get fault codes and come back to us, also would be interetsed in any mods or reciepts you have got or that have been done to the car, just give us a list of whats been done in your service history mate, as screech said could be timing or fueling prob so fault codes would be a good start mate :thumleft:
rossl

Post by rossl »

right i have bridged te1 and e1 connectors on the diagnostic port and the error code stored seems to be 34

flashes 3 times then 4 times

according to the japaneses mr2 faq this is listed as "Circulation Pressure supply ?"

does this shed any light on the problem?

regards
rossl

Post by rossl »

according to the follwing link

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde ... opic=28670

error code 34 is listed as

" 34 Turbocharging Pressure Signal Fuel cut-off due to high turbocharging pressure "

this would tie in with it being a fuel cut problem and requiring a fuel cut defender device or an ecu and map sensor upgrade wouldnt it?
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

34 is overboosting dude, your options are turn the boost down.
or fit a fcd, £17
or if you got a load of cash, upgrate the turbo, get a decent boost controller THEN fit the link.

Return to “Mechanical”