[Mk2] [Turbo] Odd Turbo Noises, now with photos!

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

toxo
IMOC Committee

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Odd Turbo Noises, now with photos!

Post by toxo »

Yeah, I don't think it's a hybrid though :D I would expect the car to have had a lot more done to it before they got to the stage of swapping the turbo? Tomorrow I'll *definitely* record the noise and count the studs on the turbo.
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

HKS filters do have a tendancy to just deteriate around the edges. Take off the filter and have a look. You're probs sucking air in round the edges through the plastic mesh.

Bring her in and we'll have looky! :thumleft:
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Hiya :)

Like I said I'm going to see Nathan next week but I know he's *really* busy so might not have time. Plus I'm *really* skint due to a stupid christian festival!

I'm not convinced I'd make it up your track with the suspension I've got at the moment either, was painful enough in the MK1! But that will be sorted by Nathan.

John
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Well, that was a complete waste of time :) No chance of recording the noise on my phone - far too much background volume! And my hands are far far too cold to be messing around with the engine so that can wait for the weekend.
Greddy-Matt

Post by Greddy-Matt »

Mate my HKS sounded like a jet engine on the hissing/sucking sound front, much louder than the Apexi Ive got on there now! Does the other honking/farting noise happen when accelerating but not under full load?
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

It happens under light acceleration, about the point where the turbo kicks in. As soon as the boost gauge raises to the first bold line (not the - bottom line, the one up from that) that's where the noise is. Under fast acceleration there's no noise as the boost builds more quickly, so it doesn't stay at that point. Under what I'd class as normal driving :) the gauge can sit at that point for some seconds, all the time making the noise. I assume that's the point at which the actuator opens up the turbo?
Greddy-Matt

Post by Greddy-Matt »

Could it be a leaky recirc BOV? Maybe swap it for a known working one, mine used to make similar sounds as you discribed.
Extubby

Post by Extubby »

99% sure it's the bov. The stock ones get to a point on light throttle where the boost builds and the fart, cough, sneeze, sound like you just stranggled a goose. If like you say you put your foot down more it goes.
To test it is this, disconnect the pipe that would recirculate into the intake. Make sure that you tape up the part in the intake. This will stop it farting.
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

My stock DV does exactly the same under part throttle acceleration. Sometimes the Honk lasts for several seconds and is very funny! I can hear it all (including the snake noise) very clearly through my ARC induction kit. It's normal.

The stock boost gauge will go past the max marker. It's not even worth looking at tbh. Get a decent gauge and find out if you are actually hitting 18 - 19psi.

Out of interest, guys, how is it possible to hit fuel cut if there is no aftermarket boost control? What fault can cause this that wouldn't show an error code?
mrfil13

Post by mrfil13 »

the pipe from the turbo to the actuator, if that was disconnected or had a hole in it that can cause it just keep boosting can't it?
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Yeah, it would. However that would still register an error code if that was the case.
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

my stock BOV does the same under part or light throttle. best thing if ur still feeling un-easy about the noise is try and fit an aftermarket bov if u can borrow one- it shouldn't make the goose honk. hopefully that should settle your mind. Damm enoying thou
screech205

Post by screech205 »

Easiest way to eliminate the recirc pipe is to remove it completely!

Just bung up the pipe on the intake and let the dump valve VTA. You should now have no honking/farting noises :thumleft:

Steve

Return to “Modifications”