[Mk2] [Turbo] Turbo is on its way out,

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Which turbo?

Refurd ct20b
33%
Stage 3 hybrid ct26
67%

Total votes: 3

McBride

[Mk2] [Turbo] Turbo is on its way out,

Post by McBride »

Should i refurd the standard ct20 or go for a stage 3 hybrid ct26?

who is best i only know of turbo technics.

My spec list is

Apexi gt exhaust.
3" decat
apexi avcr
HKS racing suction kit
hks sqqv
xs power intercooler
Colder grade spark plugs.

Im not interested in a full rebuild. But id be willing to go for bigger inectors etc What do you recommend?
Rory

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Turbo is on its way out,

Post by Rory »

If you want bigger injectors then you need a new ECU to control them. I would get rid of the XS intercooler and get some better cooling. Then buy maybe a used CT20b.
My MR2 for sale! Check out the for sale section
mrdb

Post by mrdb »

id recommend the turbo technics ct26. It rocks!
know of a gt4 making 355bhp @1.2bar with that and mapping easily.....

No boost creap either as single port wastegate...
karammander

Post by karammander »

was just about to say the opposite assuming it was a dual port wastgate. if its the single i've heard good things but you need to make sure your engine is up to it.

its not the increased boost that will be a problem its gonna be the folume of air its pushing.

get a wideband on it after you choose which one to confirm its fueling ok

cheers karam
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

Just out of interest, are there any other recommended turbos to replace the CT20 that are similar performance in terms of power potential and torque curve (i.e hold 18psi to the redline), but that spool up much quicker?

Does the above mentioned CT26 hybrid offer this? Garrett GT28 series?
McBride

Post by McBride »

Rory wrote:If you want bigger injectors then you need a new ECU to control them. I would get rid of the XS intercooler and get some better cooling. Then buy maybe a used CT20b.

injectors and ecu are no problem but would the internals handle it? say i went for a stage 3 hybrid ct26 at 1.2 bar?

also i thought the xs power intercoolers were suitable for the job? I thought it was just the piping which is crap
2Crooky

Post by 2Crooky »

Before you do that....get rid of that piece of xxxx HKS filter!!!! They suck something bad!!!!

I had one on mine and it crumbled to bits!!! James at 3S has seen turbo's go pop due to this filter!! They are prone to crumble up and get sucked into the intake housing :shock:

HTH
mrdb

Post by mrdb »

Spool on the TT ct26 is good a little more than a normal ct26. Doesnt do much more than std bellow 10psi then bang here we go. Pull all the way to redline fitted this and hit rev limiter in 1st for the 1st time. At 1bar its awesome. I wouldnt go above 1.2 on std ecu though. Will make easilly 380bhp... with supporting fuel and ign..

Turbo Technics dont promote it much but if you want a hybrid this is the only one to buy. They do a stg 2 also for over 400bhp....
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

you should go for the WRC version of the ct20b. will be similar in price but much better reliability with the bonus of being able to handle more boost because it has a steel shaft. pm al-sw20 because he is running one and will be able to give you an opinion :-k

quick pic courtesy of al

Image :thumleft:
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

mrdb wrote:Spool on the TT ct26 is good a little more than a normal ct26. Doesnt do much more than std bellow 10psi then bang here we go. Pull all the way to redline fitted this and hit rev limiter in 1st for the 1st time. At 1bar its awesome. I wouldnt go above 1.2 on std ecu though. Will make easilly 380bhp... with supporting fuel and ign..

Turbo Technics dont promote it much but if you want a hybrid this is the only one to buy. They do a stg 2 also for over 400bhp....

disagree mate, never heard of one getting to those figures. 300 atw running 1.5+ bar is about the best ive heard off, apology sent however if you prove me wrong :lol:
McBride

Post by McBride »

now thats very interesting mrtee will have to look into that one thanks alot :thumleft:
splashnatz

Post by splashnatz »

if i were you, i'd get either : your ct20b rebuilt or get a s/h one off somebody.

i went down the hybrid route (TT), and had nothing but problems. Wouldn't expect big gains from any hybrid unless running a LOT of boost, and for the sort of boost you need, you'll want a built engine.

when you decide you want more power, get a decent turbo kit and all necessary supporting mods.
steve b

Post by steve b »

Get a disco potatoe on there GT2860RS, worth it in the long run as it'll put nice cold air out for you and spool really quick. I run one on my 1.8 with with 9:1 CR same as the 3sgte with a low boost target of only 11psi and make 250bhp. Running 15 psi i'd easy make 300bhp as its more into its effieiency range so on the 200cc bigger and better flowing 3sgte running 1.2 bar 330bhp can't be to hard. I've a decent IC as well but I only see inlet temps a maximum of 10 degrees above ambient.
The Morris

Post by The Morris »

mrtee wrote:
mrdb wrote:Spool on the TT ct26 is good a little more than a normal ct26. Doesnt do much more than std bellow 10psi then bang here we go. Pull all the way to redline fitted this and hit rev limiter in 1st for the 1st time. At 1bar its awesome. I wouldnt go above 1.2 on std ecu though. Will make easilly 380bhp... with supporting fuel and ign..

disagree mate, never heard of one getting to those figures. 300 atw running 1.5+ bar is about the best ive heard off, apology sent however if you prove me wrong :lol:

They do 2. A 380 bhp model and a 500bhp model. The 500 bhp had loads of lag but now they have improved it. Not many around though.

Return to “Modifications”