[All] [Turbo] HELP PLEASE!!!! Car keeps overheating HELP ME IMOC!! UP DATE!!!

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

2barGee

[All] [Turbo] HELP PLEASE!!!! Car keeps overheating HELP ME IMOC!! UP DATE!!!

Post by 2barGee »

Car is running around 400bhp, but keeps overheating.

When it first overheated I found the rad fans where not comin on at all!!! Thats now sorted. This was not the cause of the problem so i also changed the Stat for a TRD one, but it still overheats.

Now i drove the car this weeked and covered over 500 miles and it was fine!!!!!!

I would class the 500 miles i covered as "normal drivin" (on and off boost).

Now when you do (for example) run after run after run through 1st 2nd 3rd, or run after run in 3rd like you would do when mappin the car it will overheat!!!!!!! But drive normal, on and off boost its 100% fine!!!?????

The car does use a bit of oil but always has, the coolant stays at pretty much the same level.

What do you guys think is causing this??? Head lifting??? Headgasket on its way out?? Or something else???

Hope somebody can help me??

Dan
Last edited by 2barGee on Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
screech205

Re: [All] [Turbo] HELP PLEASE!!!! Car keeps overheating HELP ME IMOC!! UP DATE!!!

Post by screech205 »

Could possibly be some air left in the coolant mate causing an airlock, haven't bled the system myself but apparently it's a real pain to get all the air out.

Hope it's something as easy as this mate!

Steve
2barGee

Re: [All] [Turbo] HELP PLEASE!!!! Car keeps overheating HELP ME IMOC!! UP DATE!!!

Post by 2barGee »

screech205 wrote:Could possibly be some air left in the coolant mate causing an airlock, haven't bled the system myself but apparently it's a real pain to get all the air out.

Hope it's something as easy as this mate!

Steve

i hope your correct mate, i will be so gutted if the block is cracked?? The car is running so sweet at the moment!!!!!!!! ](*,)

I bled the system as best i could and no more air was coming out of the pipe from the rad at all so i think it rules out the air lock to be honest :(
screech205

Post by screech205 »

Did you follow the BGB procedure as if you bleed the rad the conventional way it doesn't get all the air out

Steve
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

screech205 wrote:Did you follow the BGB procedure as if you bleed the rad the conventional way it doesn't get all the air out

Steve

yeh followed that one mate.

Things r not lookin good :(

The strange thing is that if you just drove the car normally on boost it would be fine, but the car was supposed to be going back for mapping this week!!!!
screech205

Post by screech205 »

Actually could it be the water pump?

Would make sense as when you're cruising it may be pumping just about enough water round to cool the engine but obviously under boost it's not gonna do the job.

Not sure how you'd test it but i'm sure someone on here will know

Steve
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

screech205 wrote:Actually could it be the water pump?

Would make sense as when you're cruising it may be pumping just about enough water round to cool the engine but obviously under boost it's not gonna do the job.

Not sure how you'd test it but i'm sure someone on here will know

Steve

mmmm maybe i am same as you mate i have no idea when it comes to the water pump, fingers crossed its something small as i really cannot fund much at the moment.
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

update, i have found oil floating in the coolant system!!!! Would this most probably be the head gasket or could there still be a high chance its the block still as well??
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

It "could" be the head gasket, if the head wasn't perfectly flat when it was installed (this in no way an insult to the original builder!!) but other than that, I very much doubt it. Even OEM rev3 H/G's are steel, and VERY unlikely to fail.

Must admit it sounds like a cracked block to me :( Saw a few of these on the GT4OC and they all exibited the same symptoms :(
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

Slarty wrote:It "could" be the head gasket, if the head wasn't perfectly flat when it was installed (this in no way an insult to the original builder!!) but other than that, I very much doubt it. Even OEM rev3 H/G's are steel, and VERY unlikely to fail.

Must admit it sounds like a cracked block to me :( Saw a few of these on the GT4OC and they all exibited the same symptoms :(

I know the map that was on the car was really bad........ mid 13s AFR on boost so that could have done the head gasket.

I really do hope its not the block!!!!!!!

The car is still running sweet as!!!
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

Gee Man wrote:
I know the map that was on the car was really bad........ mid 13s AFR on boost so that could have done the head gasket.

I really do hope its not the block!!!!!!!

The car is still running sweet as!!!

It could also have done for the block too.

Symptoms I recall people having were that the car would run right as rain, but on prolonged boost, the temperature would steadily raise. I think it's due to the block getting hotter on boost, then the crack opens up a little, etc etc.

I really do hope it's your H/G mate, but in the years I owned the st205 GT4 and actively used the GT4OC (since about feb '04) I never once saw an st205 (Rev3) H/G fail :(
splashnatz

Post by splashnatz »

If the problem was there before the remap, i'd of thought it would of shown up then . Cars tend to get pushed harder when mapping than at pretty much any other time. how many miles have you put on it since the new map got done ? when it was mapped did the mapper (was it 2bar?, i seem to remember a post about it all) say he noticed anything odd with the car ? (would it even show up on the laptop if there was an issue like this ?)
You said the car had a lot more power since remapped, maybe the block couldn't cope with the extra output ? still, fingers crossed it's just the HG that's gone.

Surprised none of the "well-knowns" have popped up with any advice/suggestions yet.
Ryan.g

Post by Ryan.g »

If the problem was there before the remap, i'd of thought it would of shown up then . Cars tend to get pushed harder when mapping than at pretty much any other time

Yes the problem did occur while we were mapping the car. We took the car back to the workshop and tried bleeding the coolant system but was not that easy due to the heater matrix being removed.

We then set off again about an hour later and the temps were fine, we managed to get most of the remap done and then the water temps started to creep up again. At this point we called it a day and i advised gee man to book it into 3s or rogue for a check up as they know alot more about these types of problems with 3sgte's.

My thoughts at the time were that the head was lifting due to it only happening when we started to turn up the boost, 1bar it was fine.

But some of the other symtoms now listed make it sound more like the HG or block.

My comment to Dan when i first started mapping the car and saw how lean it was running before we mapped it was that the engine builder did a damn good job as i was surprised how it held together running the way it was but it seems that maybe now some damage was done and running the extra power has made it more obvious.

Ryan

Surprised none of the "well-knowns" have popped up with any advice/suggestions yet

Alot of these guys are sadly no longer on the board but dan has been seeking great advise from some of them elsewhere
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

splashnatz wrote:If the problem was there before the remap, i'd of thought it would of shown up then . Cars tend to get pushed harder when mapping than at pretty much any other time. how many miles have you put on it since the new map got done ? when it was mapped did the mapper (was it 2bar?, i seem to remember a post about it all) say he noticed anything odd with the car ? (would it even show up on the laptop if there was an issue like this ?)
You said the car had a lot more power since remapped, maybe the block couldn't cope with the extra output ? still, fingers crossed it's just the HG that's gone.

Surprised none of the "well-knowns" have popped up with any advice/suggestions yet.

When the car first got mapped after it had been built it was done at thor and it 360bhp and 240 torque this was at 1.4 bar but the cars boost was all over the place so they did not map it any higher.

I bought the car in this state. I did a few changes and took the car for a re-map and they said the map was bad from thor and the knock sensor was turned off. whilst this re-map was happening a spark plug stuck together!!!! They said it was a dodgy injector!!! This was not the case because when i got to Ryan (2bar) the car was running in the mid 13s AFR on boost which made the spark plug stick together nothin to do with the injector!!!! Ryan mapped the car up to 1.4 bar and the car overheated once whilst we did that map, but we stopped as it was raining and the car was going sideways in 4th!!!

Then it was fine, i went on a rollin road day and did the 1/4 mile....... everything was fine the car performed really well!!!! Then i went back to ryan for the llast re-map and we started to finish the map off at 1.0bar and it overheated a few times till we stopped!!!!! This is where i am now! The car has never has this much power through it at the moment but its strange how it overheated more at 1.0bar than 1.4????

The map now at just 1. bar feels so quick!!!!!
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

Anybody???

Think i will be takin the head off soon.......anybody got a HOW2 on this job??????

Thanks

Dan
mr2greasemonkey

overheating

Post by mr2greasemonkey »

Sounds like a headgasket issue. Before you go to the trouble of taking the head off, I suggest a leak down test. Check your overflow bottle, if the level is higher than normal than the system is pusing fluid out and not pulling it back in. If you know someone with a 4 gaz analyser you can also check for hydrocarbons in the cooling system. A crack in the head or block is possible but unusual for not running massive boost.
2barGee

Re: overheating

Post by 2barGee »

mr2greasemonkey wrote:Sounds like a headgasket issue. Before you go to the trouble of taking the head off, I suggest a leak down test. Check your overflow bottle, if the level is higher than normal than the system is pusing fluid out and not pulling it back in. If you know someone with a 4 gaz analyser you can also check for hydrocarbons in the cooling system. A crack in the head or block is possible but unusual for not running massive boost.

how much would a leak down test be?i will get this done b4 i take the head off.thanks mate
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

To be honest Gee Man I just think your a Jaffa...........LOL

How many times have I fixed your car now. . . . . shame we couldn't sort this one out when you came up at the weekend. was good to see you again after a year mate.

Canada was awesome but you still shouldn't have moved to London you are making me mod my car now. Thinking of getting a TD06 20g kit aim for about 400 - 450. Just need a job first.

Anyways back to the topic in question I've been looking at stuff mate and I'm leaning towards a cracked block, with the 87mm pistons the cylinder wall between two and three is mega thin. Even if it wasn't cracked before your remap the extra power will have put extra pressure into the cylinder increasing the stresses and thus cracked the wall. I hope it rewally isn't though man. Drive the mini whip the ehad off and have a look. I can't see the steel HG going.

Good luck man, see ya soon - hopefully.
Bender Unit

Post by Bender Unit »

Personally as there seems to be issues with bleeding the coolant properly, I would be inclined to think it would be a coolant issue.

If the block was cracked I would have though the coolant temps would sky rocket as soon as you boost the engine, not after repeated attempts. You would also probably blow coolant out of the engine as the compression stroke would pressurise the coolant channels and force the coolant out. From what I recall Dan hasn’t had any coolant loss? If the block was cracked I would seriously doubt the engine would be making good power, and I expect Dan would experience rough running.

Equally on that matter, I doubt it’s the HG as the engine wouldn’t sound too go if this had failed?

Could something like the water pump have failed? My old CRX siR had a similar issue, normal driving wasn’t and issue unless it was sat in traffic – The water pump came out and the impellor on the water pump had badly corroded and the blades reduced to stumps. Maybe inDans case he is getting restricted coolant flow? So he isn’t getting sufficient cooling which is proving and issue after repeat runs?
screech205

Post by screech205 »

That makes 2 of us suggesting water pump mate!

As bender unit said if the HG had gone then it would surely run like a dog even off boost and you'd hear the coolant bubbling like hell in the expansion tank. is there any mayo under the oil filler cap?

Return to “Mechanical”