Tubby vs Cerbera

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

Gordy

Re: Tubby vs Cerbera

Post by Gordy »

Toyota = very nice
TVR = very nice until it breaks (and it will, you know it will, you just know it...)
JJ

Post by JJ »

luthor1 wrote: would prefer to spend £13k on EarL's 479bhp monster. Bet it's pretty reliable, since it's only pushing 1bar of pressure, hardly a strain is it?

You like Earls car dont you ??!! :wink:
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
James Junior

Post by James Junior »

I slaughtered a Chimaera in my old REV3 Turbo in a straight line up to abvout 80mph with only and induction kit and exhaust system.

Look on his face was priceless afterwards - I wish I had a camera!

I understand that the Cerbera is quite a different proposition however - a lot quicker supposedly?

I would love a Cerbera but I'm too much of a big scaredy cat both with the boisterous handling and the fuel bills!
pintovit

Post by pintovit »

The most fun ever behind a steering wheel was driving one Cerbera 4.5 LW.

At first I was VERY gentle because without any kind of assistance, a 420bhp monster can bite... At least I thought so...

But although I'm very sure it can, I was surprised by how easy it was to drive very quickly. How linear the engine is... And that sound... The bangs and pops just made my day...

About the gears being a little bit on the long side... Well, 2nd manages 100 so everything is said. Even so, 3.9 0-60 and 1.8 :shock: on 50-75 is pretty amazing. Drove it at 175 and it was no fun (felt like driving a Punto at 80)... Now that barking... 2nd, 3rd... down shift... just remembering and my hairs are all upstanding...

Anyway... Just for the aura... the sound... I would take the cerbera everyday... if money and alternative transportation wasn't an issue... ;)
luthor1

Post by luthor1 »

JJ wrote:
luthor1 wrote: would prefer to spend £13k on EarL's 479bhp monster. Bet it's pretty reliable, since it's only pushing 1bar of pressure, hardly a strain is it?

You like Earls car dont you ??!! :wink:

I'd remove the ugly carbon fibre, fit stock rear spoiler and pop up lights, put 'normal' wheels on it and go chasing Ferrari's and motorbike for kicks.

Yeah - I LOVE it.
speedy_g

Post by speedy_g »

Ive owned a 280bhp tubby and currently a cerbera.

Really don't think there is any way that the tubby could stay with the cerbera in a straight line.

My 4.2 will hit 60 in 4.2 seconds and 100 in 9.9. Where you really feel the difference is between 60 and 100. Everytime you change gear you can immediately feel the car pulling forwards.

In terms of handing in the dry, I really don't think that the "lairy" reputation is deserved, one you get used to the short rack steering. In the wet on the other hand........
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

was about 3 secs quicker than a cerbera at the sprint race yesterday :whistle:
luthor1

Post by luthor1 »

a 280bhp Tubby will do 0-60 in 4.8 and 0-100 in 12.4 but that's not all the story.

The tubby needs to change to 4th to get to 100.

It will do 0-90mph in 9.6 so see, the Cerbera isn't miles off down the road and when the Tuby is doing 90mph the Cerbera is still sub-100.

You need to SLAUGHTER on paper to BEAT on the road, if the numbers are close on paper, then on the road it'll look like nothing.
splashnatz

Post by splashnatz »

quigonjay wrote:was about 3 secs quicker than a cerbera at the sprint race yesterday :whistle:

:thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
Harry

Post by Harry »

splashnatz wrote:
quigonjay wrote:was about 3 secs quicker than a cerbera at the sprint race yesterday :whistle:

:thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

:thumleft:
speedy_g

Post by speedy_g »

luthor1 wrote:a 280bhp Tubby will do 0-60 in 4.8 and 0-100 in 12.4 but that's not all the story.

The tubby needs to change to 4th to get to 100.

It will do 0-90mph in 9.6 so see, the Cerbera isn't miles off down the road and when the Tuby is doing 90mph the Cerbera is still sub-100.

You need to SLAUGHTER on paper to BEAT on the road, if the numbers are close on paper, then on the road it'll look like nothing.

Hence why I said in a straight line, in normal road conditions I'm of the belief that driving ability (or lack of it) has a lot more to do with spped than the vehicle you are in

Return to “Driving Experiences”