[Mk2] [NA] Brakes squeeking after pad and disc change Rev3

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Race Idiot

[Mk2] [NA] Brakes squeeking after pad and disc change Rev3

Post by Race Idiot »

Hi Guys

Yesterday I changed my rear discs and pads for shiny new ones due to the old ones being in a pretty bad state. I cleaned up the mating surface on the hub with a wire brush attatchment on a dremmel type tool and some brake cleaner to make sure it was all nice and smooth for the new disc to go on. Cleaned up the shims and used new brake grease on them, then I wound the pistons back in using the handy tool that I got from Sbits. Put the new pads into the caliper got the disc inbetween the pads and bolted the caliper back to the err place it's meant to mount to.

I checked the sliders and they are still nice and smooth from the pad change I did about a year ago.

Now when i'm driving in a straight line at about 30mph all I hear is squeek squeek squeek seems like it's from the drivers side rear. If I brake the squeek instantly stops. Also I just had a quick blat on the motorway at about 70 and it stopped for a while, but then after a bit of residential 30mph it started up again. The brakes dont seem to be dragging and the handbrake seems to work fine, so i'm not sure what to do. Maybe tommorow i'll check to see if the calipers are bolted on tight enough.

Also it seems one of my shims has gone missing but on the passenger side, the one that goes on top of the slatted type one could that be it? But when I took the pads off I couldn't find that shim and it wasnt making that noise before anyway so i dunno. I think i'll get a new set of rear shims anyway, can I just get some from toyota or are they spenisve?
ancient mariner

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Brakes squeeking after pad and disc change Rev3

Post by ancient mariner »

more than likely down to the shims,thats what they are for.you could also try putting a bit of copper grease on the contact points on the back of the brake pads.paul.
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

ancient mariner wrote:more than likely down to the shims,thats what they are for.you could also try putting a bit of copper grease on the contact points on the back of the brake pads.paul.

Allrite thanx, i'll go and buy some shims tommorow then. Do the bolts that attatch the caliper onto the carrier need to be torqued to a specific number at all?
skinthespin

Post by skinthespin »

Its dead easy to knock the dust shield which then rubs slightly on the disc, have a feel round (through the wheel if you can even) to see if its close anywhere, if it is just bend it back.

I dont use shims on my pads and havent done for years, makes very little difference tbh.

Return to “Mechanical”