[Mk2] [Turbo] Engine has spat its dummy out

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ginga

[Mk2] [Turbo] Engine has spat its dummy out

Post by ginga »

Was on the way to work the other morning and started to hear a quiet metallic knocking .... Pulled over , was fine on tick over but when revved the noise returned ...Turned round and came home ... Just tried to take it to my local garage for a diagnosis but they had boogered off early .... On the way home the noise got considerably worse .... The rather loud metallic Clacking noise is now present on tick over aswell and sounds expensive .

Big end????

Any ideas Chaps
Century Motorsport

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Engine has spat its dummy out

Post by Century Motorsport »

Hmmm does sound like the symptoms of a big end..... difficult to diagnose without hearing it though.

Regards,

Nathan
Builders of the the UK's first 9second MR2 - 9.722 @ 148 MPH ----- 07947883103 ---- www.centurymotorsport.com
ginga

Post by ginga »

Will i be able to drop the sump and remove the caps to look for any scoring etc with the engine in the car??? Its a rev 3
Ian Geary

Post by Ian Geary »

the sump can be removed with the engine in place.

It's fidddly, as Toyota use a glue-like gasket compound, which will have to be cut/prized apart with a sharp strong knife (whilst not scoring the alu sump).

Being a rev3, it's a 2 piece sump, with 2 "hidden" bolts that connect the sump to the gearbox. These can be accessed via the flywheel inspection cover, and feeling upwards.

They're a hex head I recall, so you might need to saw an allen key down, or use a hex socket in a small socket like a 1/4 inch.

hth, and hope your car isn't too sick.

ps I watched a Top Gear repeat last night, where Clarkson bought a Masarati for £10k. After thrashing it round Castle Coombe, it was making an awful tapping noise?

If you've seen the episode, does your car sound like that?

After about 20 miles his car threw the crank shaft big ends out of the crank case all over the A4....

pps - I wonder what caused this? Oil pump failure? Or, I recall reading on here the oil pump bypass valve can get stuck open on older cars, reducing oil pressure right down...

Ian
ginga

Post by ginga »

Thanks....I didnt see that one .... It really isnt very well at all ... went from running fine to this state in less than 15miles so something has gone very wrong ... I am going to get it up in the air at the weekend weather permitting to assess the damage and go from there .... but i cant see a happy ending tbh
^Trickster^

Post by ^Trickster^ »

rev 3 sump is ore hassle than the rev 1/2.

Check your oil level, and see if the oil pressure light is on. I doubt you span a bearing without any major mods or starving oil big time.

A good way to check for rod knock is to listen for that noise when in neutral so you know at what rev it is at. The shut off the engine and pull one of the spark plug leads off, start the engine and rev it again, if the goes quieter or goes completly, then the cylinder you pulled the lead on has rod knock.

If not shut off the engine replace the lead and try the nexy cylinder.

Rod knock is alot more noisey when theres load on the piston/con rod hence pulling the lead will prevent the cylinder from firing and hammering the rod down.

Its probably something come loose, or i hope it has for your sake :)

Good luck

Graeme

Return to “Mechanical”