[Mk2] [Turbo] New turbo - setting boost and running in

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

davidmccosh4757

[Mk2] [Turbo] New turbo - setting boost and running in

Post by davidmccosh4757 »

Hi Guys,

As a few of u will know I've been workin' away over the winter months.. =D> getting the tubby ready for easter.

Fitted stage 2 hybrid, intercooler FPR, F.Pump DP etc etc

Now...My cousin know's a guy well that is going to set it up [fueling and set Boost controller to 14.5psi, and put her on rollers]

But, before I take it to him I obviously want it running on the road a few days, to make sure no leaks etc round new turbo/piping and also to get the turbo spoolin a few times :wink:

I have a greddy profec b spec 2, and was wanting to give it some "low" values, say 0.5 bar to get it up and running.

But I was thinking... #-o

The greddy is plumbed in at the minute, but I also have a 12 psi uprated actuator. If i start and drive the car [with the Profec turned off] will the turbo just boost the 12psi and do no damage?

Sorry if this is vague, basically done all the spanner work myself, and want to get the car driving before i take it to tuner's. If i just keep the Boost Controller off will the turbo only boost to 12 psi?

Also would you recommend running it a low boost for a certain time/miles before upping it to 1 bar on a new turbo.

Any comments greatly appreciated, :thumleft:

Many Thanks

Many Thanks

[/list]
GT Rich

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] New turbo - setting boost and running in

Post by GT Rich »

Yeah if your Profrc is switched off and you have an uprated actuator then it will boost to what ever the actuator is set to, so in your case thats 12psi.

Should be fine to tell you truth as when the unit are re-conned they are tested to silly rpm anyway before the units leave the factory.

So don't worry all will be fine, just run it normally for a few days to make sure you have no oil/air leaks and to get the turbo use to being used again in temps and then take it down to get it all set up.

hth

Rich :thumleft:
davidmccosh4757

Post by davidmccosh4757 »

GT Rich

So its OK then that the old Boost control valve is disconnected?[rather blocked off], and the pipes running to the actuator and turbo run back to the greddy, and it is switched off.

Thats took a load off my mind, cause i thought i would have to set the Boost controoler myself [to safe settings] - think that's best left to the experts :thumleft:

thanks Again
GT Rich

Post by GT Rich »

Yeah the old boost control is out of the picture now as you've disconnected it. Even if you set the profec controller low the actuator will still be set to 12psi anyway so it won't of made any difference dude.

Like i say just take it easy and get the turbo use to being under temps and you'll be fine.

I know what your going through as i did the same thing when i replaced my turbo my self :lol:

:thumleft: Rich
luthor1

Post by luthor1 »

You don't 'run in' anything which doesn't have any contacting serfaces. Turbo's shafts float in a high pressure film of oil so no metal ever touches other metal. A turbo is a non-wearing item, only abuse, poor maintenance, and the fact that oil has to 'warm up' causes them to wear over time.

Return to “Modifications”