[Mk2 NA] 1992 GT T-Bar without Service History - £2100 is it

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

new2leeds

[Mk2 NA] 1992 GT T-Bar without Service History - £2100 is it

Post by new2leeds »

Hi

I'm looking to get my self a non-turbo / non-import UK MR2 there is one currently on Autotrader described as follows:

1992 TOYOTA MR2 GT T-Bar Sports 2dr Coupe (private)
Manual, 88,000 miles, Blue. Excellent condition, 88k miles lovely leather interior full electrics, Sony CD multiplayer new cambelt & Clutch Very smooth runner, was 2nd car. Recently New tyres.

Currently listed at £2100, but came down to £2000 on the phone as it has only a receipt for the last Cambelt & Clutch change and other receipts for last couple of years and the V5.

The story is that the owner works overseas and his girlfriend "stole/borrowed" the car while he was away, but they have broken up and she has "lost" the service history book to spite him.

His mate is selling it for him while he is overseas.

The Parkers "Private Good" price is £2370 and the "Private Poor" £810.

Is it worth buying a car this old without Service History (but get an AA/RAC inspection)? And how much would you pay to compensate for no service history?

All advice appreciated.

Cheers
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Re: [Mk2 NA] 1992 GT T-Bar without Service History - £2100 is it

Post by tonigmr2 »

Does it have the V5, and I'd do a finance/previous accident check. But tbh you'll only really know by looking, go see more than one too.
T
new2leeds

Post by new2leeds »

Yes it has a V5

Will do the HPI check etc if I am definitely going to buy it.

What about value, any thoughts? Does the lack of service history matter on a non-turbo?
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Well it wouldn't necessarily bother me, but I'd want to be happy about it's condition when I saw it.

T
b2hbm

Post by b2hbm »

Personally if his mate is selling it for him and there's a history like you say, then I'd steer clear myself.

Of course if it's local then it's always worth a look-see, but I prefer to buy from the actual owner and I'm not enthusiastic about sporty cars that have been loaned out to what's now an ex-girlfriend.
foxy-stoat

Post by foxy-stoat »

defo have to have a look to see if the alleged 88,000 miles is actually 150,000 miles.

any UK car without history means its either been written off and the history goes to the insurer, or car has been clocked.

you best check over everything to see if the mileage is what he says it is.

i dont know the law about other people selling cars that dont belong to them, ie, the "mate" gets back from "overseas" ( holiday ) and realises that his house has been broken into and his car, keys and V5 has been stolen, oh and the car turns up a few weeks later haven been sold you a law-a-bideing citizern such as yourself ! you'll lose the car if it is the case !

had this happen a few years ago to a friend, he wasnt best pleased !

but IF the car has done 88K AND is in good condition, i'd say £2000 is an ok price as the cambelt & clutch and new tryes has been done too !

just my thoughts !

:)
We ALL make mistakes !!! :)
ryan

Post by ryan »

new2leeds wrote:Yes it has a V5

Will do the HPI check etc if I am definitely going to buy it.

What about value, any thoughts? Does the lack of service history matter on a non-turbo?

I'd hold out for one with SH or contact the dealer it was serviced at to check their records. You should get an idea if its been cared for or not just by looking at it though.
On an ownership note, if there is civil dispute as to ownership, this wont show up on a HPi check. Mother bought a car years ago, and these was dispute over ownership, she nearly lost the car. I think it says on the V5 "registered keeper does not always mean owner", like lease car I suppose.
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

No harm in going to check it out, but does sound a little odd. If its close to you I'd check it out as a benchmark for others even if you don't go ahead.

Use BenF's guide for buying, the turbo areas obviously don't apply....

http://www.btinternet.com/~netsurf/mr2t/buyMR2T.html
blue2

Post by blue2 »

Are you sure thats not an import I thought the full leather and full electrics were only on the jap models. The price seems fair enough as the cam belt wont cost an awful lot and the mileage is lowish for the age of the car.
splashnatz

Post by splashnatz »

doesn't mention A/C - most jap cars have it. also full leather i think was a UK spec thing, japs got leather and alacnatra.

if it's local, there is no harm at all in going to check it out. who knows it may be totally legit and mint.
new2leeds

Post by new2leeds »

Cheers guys for all the advice so far....its not that local, but the guy said he may be passing my way this week, so if he is and he brings it to me then no harm in looking.

Any thoughts on value? If everything checks out?

Cheers
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Wait right there! =;

He is now bringing it to you? Warning, warning!
T
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

blue2 wrote:Are you sure thats not an import I thought the full leather and full electrics were only on the jap models. The price seems fair enough as the cam belt wont cost an awful lot and the mileage is lowish for the age of the car.

For the record, I'm quite sure all options were available to UK cars on purchase, full leather seats are common...
Rev5GT

Post by Rev5GT »

its not a 'bad' price but none the less check the car out and contact the registered keeper if possible and ask him about where the car has been serviced etc.. also get a contact number for the garage that did the servicing to confirm..

sounds too much of a story car if you ask me - i'd stay well clear.

On the other hand i know of a VERY nice uk mr2 2.0 coupe 94/L done 56,000 miles - FULL SERVICE HISTORY + EVERY MOT FROM NEW and STACKS OF RECEIPTS - all for £2695 (ish) :)

http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/4181/lmr2005vf5.jpg
http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/3603/lmr2002qt3.jpg
http://img103.imageshack.us/img103/1831/lmr2003jy2.jpg
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

Looks good Rash, is it yours?
new2leeds

Post by new2leeds »

Rash, that 94L looks very interesting!! Any more details? PM me i.e. is it post Mar 94 when ABS etc was installed?

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”