Spoiler removed - How to blank the holes?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

alsx

Spoiler removed - How to blank the holes?

Post by alsx »

Hi guys

I've removed my spoiler and temporarily taped up the holes.
I don't want to permanently weld and repaint the boot/rear quarters, so what can i use to blank the holes?

I saw an RX-7 yesterday with some sort of plastic caps over the holes, can anyone suggest where i can get some of these or something similar?

Cheers,
AL

Here's some pics:
dansREV2turbo

Re: Spoiler removed - How to blank the holes?

Post by dansREV2turbo »

if you dont want it repainted or the holes covered up properly you may as well put the spoiler back on.
someone i know has an rx7 with circular stickers over the holes, tbh it looks gash like that. if your not going to do it properly then dont do it at all!

just my 2p.
GeoffC320

Post by GeoffC320 »

www.nfauto.co.uk

If you must =;
BLZ-8027

grommets

Post by BLZ-8027 »

get some blank grommets from the local car spares shop
,the type found on bulkheads to blank off holes

hope the tape doesnt peel off the paint when you remove it ??
alsx

Post by alsx »

Hmmm - that didn't go down very well aye..... :(

Basically, I want to blank the holes non-permanently and live with the car spoilerless for a few weeks.
If i decided to stay spoilerless, i'll take the car to a body shop to have the holes filled and the car sprayed properly.

I just don't want to go to all the expense only to decide i want to put the spoiler back on. Hence why i want some of those rubber blanks.

Sorry if i upset you all :)

AL
dansREV2turbo

Post by dansREV2turbo »

you didnt upset anyone, just giving my thoughts as i thought you were going to leave it like it.

get the side ones filled any way, then get a rev5 spoiler on there.
alsx

Post by alsx »

dansREV2turbo wrote:you didnt upset anyone, just giving my thoughts as i thought you were going to leave it like it.

get the side ones filled any way, then get a rev5 spoiler on there.

Your not a fan of the spoilerless look then....
I'm actually quite keen on it, think it gives the car a little quirk that most other mr2's don't have.

I've just spoken to someone about buying a second hand boot lid.
I can then fill and repaint it myself and still keep my current one with holes incase i ever change my mind/sell the car in the future.
lukem

Post by lukem »

i'm with you, i think it can look quite good, especially on rev1/2 to get rid of the 3 piecer. makes car look cleaner and quite purposeful.

regards
dansREV2turbo

Post by dansREV2turbo »

na not a big fan, but what i ment was get the side hole filled, then if you decide you want a spoiler back on you could go for a rev3/4 or a rev5.
alsx

Post by alsx »

Ahh - I see, good call.
dansREV2turbo

Post by dansREV2turbo »

just looking at the pics, are they subaru wheels on your car? look good.
Spittinflames

Post by Spittinflames »

I'm going for a different spoiler.... My side holes shall be capped off..... I aint wealthy enough to have it done properly... and on a black car it wont stand out to much..... go for it dude, cap them holes :P
alsx

Post by alsx »

DansREV2turbo: If your talking about the pic at the top of this thread, then no, they're not subaru. They came with the car and are un-named.

I've actually got a set of deep dish RAYS 2-piece wheels which will be fitted this week. My avatar pic has a photoshop with them fitted.

If you like the un-named wheels, they might be for sale if you're interested :roll:
Bobby (aka Shaggar)

Post by Bobby (aka Shaggar) »

Blatant excuse for pics.......................

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

In case you were wondering, I quite like the spoilerless look! :wink:

Bobby
alsx

Post by alsx »

I know i've already mentioned it, but your car was my inspiration for removing my spoiler!

I've now bought a second hand boot lid which i'm going to have filled and resprayed in the local bodyshop. My rear quarter panels are also in need of a respray, but i plan on using rubber gromits to fill these holes.

I'll repost some better pics once it's complete.

Cheers for all the advise,
AL
Bobby (aka Shaggar)

alsx wrote:I know i've already mentioned it, but your car was my inspiration for removing my spoiler!

I've now bought a second hand boot lid which i'm going to have filled and resprayed in the local bodyshop. My rear quarter panels are also in need of a respray, but i plan on using rubber gromits to fill these holes.

I'll repost some better pics once it's complete.

Cheers for all the advise,
AL

HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Just seen this posting as I'm new to the site. Could you post your experience without the spoiler as i'm considering the same thing myself but hear that some say you lose back end stability under heavy breaking?
Be very interested to hear.....

Cheers
:)
zak_godsell

Post by zak_godsell »

i did take my spoiler off too,would have kept it off too if it was just a case of filling the holes but on my boot there was quite a lot of rust so i put it back on to cover it up.does the standard uk one fit straight on :?:
Bobby (aka Shaggar)

rob shipp wrote:Just seen this posting as I'm new to the site. Could you post your experience without the spoiler as i'm considering the same thing myself but hear that some say you lose back end stability under heavy breaking?
Be very interested to hear.....

Cheers
:)

nothing at all to report in terms of lost performance in any area. however Jonb did mention elsewhere that heavy braking from 3 figures down felt a little light toward the rear end when he did it. He adds a GT spoiler purely for track use.

I on the other hand have had to brake hard on the motorway from high sub 100s and with my setup, which is nothinf special, feels abso fine mate.

HTH

Bobby
Bobby (aka Shaggar)

zak_godsell wrote:i did take my spoiler off too,would have kept it off too if it was just a case of filling the holes but on my boot there was quite a lot of rust so i put it back on to cover it up.does the standard uk one fit straight on :?:

Yes mate, ALL sw20 bootlids will fit ALL other sw20 cars.

Bobby

Return to “Modifications”