Fastest MR2 in UK?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jonno

Re: Fastest MR2 in UK?

Post by jonno »

Amen to that :)
Forever Feels Like Home, Sitting All Alone Inside Your Head...
spudfromengland

Post by spudfromengland »

quigonjay wrote:
spudfromengland wrote:
I will update my garage within the next few days with all the mods i have so feel free to
take a look when i have done it, Here is a list of the basic mods

Dispalcement standard 2000cc
sard 850cc injectors
Garrett GT3540 Ball Bearing Turbo - External Wastegate
Radtec ChargeCooler Kit
Custom made cams
1 mm over sizes Valves
Marg the airfilter
255/hr Fuel Pump (Walbro)
Eagle conrods
Apexi boost controler (1.9 bar)
Link ECU

the other 200 Hp will come from 150 shot of Nos Installing a 2.2 stroker kit then
adding a swirl pot to the fuel system allowing us to raise the boost level then
possibly doubling up on injectors. also we are rerouting the air charged cooler
to the boot area as the manifold has direct heat going to the charged cooler pipe
hopefully adding a few extra ponies :)

I am still using the Standard Mr2 gearbox revs 2 which are very strong and seem
to be putting up with 500 bhp no problems

and yes race fuel is being used to get these figures

nice spec mate, what pistons you using?

Hi

i'm using JE pistons for the time being until i put in customs made ones with the 2.2 stroker kit.
Red_Turbo

Post by Red_Turbo »

Mikejc wrote:
All that being said I think 2007 will be a year where some new, well developed and UK built MR2's hit the scene. It'll be interesting to look back at this thread at the end of next year and see if we've managed to knock the Yanks from the top of our leader board !? I for one intend to and i'm pretty sure Andrew will be aiming for the same thing :) lol ;)
Mikejc

Think theres more than just you and Andrew :wink: Im certainly looking forward to seeing what people are running next summer. im sure we can get a couple of 10's on that board!! :D

Red_Turbo
Chris

Post by Chris »

I'm sure the'll be some 10's next year....If the engines last :lol:
spudfromengland

Post by spudfromengland »

I'll be very happy when i see a 10's UK built mr2 on the board :D who ever it is :D

does anyone know if a mr2 has ever reached 200 mph before?
Red_Turbo

Post by Red_Turbo »

spudfromengland wrote:I'll be very happy when i see a 10's UK built mr2 on the board :D who ever it is :D

does anyone know if a mr2 has ever reached 200 mph before?

Thats a whole other task altogether with a lil 2.0l!!
70by

Post by 70by »

i think an mr2 sw20 shape broke some sort of speed record in the u.s. powered by a turbo'd 1 litre. can't remember how fast though!
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

alpha 3 owning guy told me it got 223mph on std ratios -celica gt4 box, and 203 on closer gears???

aparently the g/box that came with it blew up -which i assume is the celica box? so therefore, that would mean the 10.2 sec 1/4 mile was done on a std ratio box with a 223 mph top end :S

so in theory, with the new closer box, and losing 20mph at tops, whch is a fair bit, id assume the 1/4 mile to be a lil bit quicker... 9.9-10.0 ??

considering all this... im wondering how much of the alpha3's performance stats are actually legit! :^o

Who owns that 1112 bhp tubby that i see on here b4? there is a clip or it on streetfire.net it was 800bhp on the clip, but tuned to 1112 bhp after iirc? is that in uk?
Chris

Post by Chris »

70by

Post by 70by »

165mph from 1 litre :shock: see the car IS capable. we just need to get our arses in gear. hopefully 2007 will be the year of the mr2
Gordy

Post by Gordy »

70by wrote:i think an mr2 sw20 shape broke some sort of speed record in the u.s. powered by a turbo'd 1 litre. can't remember how fast though!

Go here: http://www.mr2ownersclub.com/mr2records/landspeed.htm

There are also other links at the bottom of the page for other classes of competition.
Bobby (aka Shaggar)

Post by Bobby (aka Shaggar) »

Secondly, we have had Supras and Skylines pushing 1000bhp+ for the last few years now so again miss info d'oh!

Yo buddy, agree with 'most' of whats youve said but this doesnt really hgold up does it? #-o

name these UK built 100hp machines. there's Sumo power's GTR but that only crack 1000hp using NOS. The Rob Bell Motorsport GTR machine was built in Japan and so were a handful of other 1k hp GTRs.

The guy also stated that the Japs are way ahead of us which you didnt appear to like BUT you confirm it with your Cossie analogy. For whatever reason the japs run rings around not only the Uk but EU too. Incidentally remeber the saff 2wd Cossie that hit over 200mph in the UK.? Point proved! :wink:

as for those who feel the dragging (hehe) is a waste of time, there are those who love it and judge a marque by its performance doin it. If it blesses the MR2 marque with more respect in the jap community then its only a good thing. Lets face it guys, thanks to fensport, a Corolla got more attention than an MR2 at drag meets!!!!! :shock:

If cost is the big issue, what about a combined effort between affiliates justto get the jap Community looking our way. In the long run, as a side effect, the value of tubbys would be positively effected too if desirability increased which can only be a good thing for all of us.

I know we'll get there but like Mike said, the other nations just got a head start......DAMN CHEATS!!!!!!!! :lol:
Mikejc

Post by Mikejc »

Bobby (aka Shaggar) wrote:
Secondly, we have had Supras and Skylines pushing 1000bhp+ for the last few years now so again miss info d'oh!

Yo buddy, agree with 'most' of whats youve said but this doesnt really hgold up does it? #-o

name these UK built 100hp machines. there's Sumo power's GTR but that only crack 1000hp using NOS. The Rob Bell Motorsport GTR machine was built in Japan and so were a handful of other 1k hp GTRs.

The guy also stated that the Japs are way ahead of us which you didnt appear to like BUT you confirm it with your Cossie analogy. For whatever reason the japs run rings around not only the Uk but EU too. Incidentally remeber the saff 2wd Cossie that hit over 200mph in the UK.? Point proved! :wink:

as for those who feel the dragging (hehe) is a waste of time, there are those who love it and judge a marque by its performance doin it. If it blesses the MR2 marque with more respect in the jap community then its only a good thing. Lets face it guys, thanks to fensport, a Corolla got more attention than an MR2 at drag meets!!!!! :shock:

If cost is the big issue, what about a combined effort between affiliates justto get the jap Community looking our way. In the long run, as a side effect, the value of tubbys would be positively effected too if desirability increased which can only be a good thing for all of us.

I know we'll get there but like Mike said, the other nations just got a head start......DAMN CHEATS!!!!!!!! :lol:

Word up Bobster how's it hanging old chum? :)

I was to be honest thinking about Caldor racing (spelling) Supra more than anything. They have been pushing well into the 1000bhp range for a while now. In fact they have some 1400 with the Nos! :shock: Envy's Supra is another, it's making 800 plus bhp at the wheels so easily into the 1000bhp range if talking fly. In terms of Skylines, I have to admit to not knowing an awful lot about them in truth but felt pretty sure some UK built examples had managed the magic figure........Sumo Powers old R34 for example? Then of course you also have Simon Norrises old Evo which was pushing some where around 800bhp at the wheels if memeory serves, so again 1000bhp territory. Just one more to add, JPS built a Supra for some guy that has run tens and is pushing 1050bhp! Leon Green I think his name was and it is a gold coloured car :)

So maybe i'm not so far of the beaten track after all slap head :P :lol: :wink:

The other thing you mentioned about me not liking the fact that we're behind the Japs, I'm not fussed at all truth be told as it's a fact and I don't think I suggested we wasn't. Only that we're not that far behind them which is pretty impressive given their head start ;)

My main gripe with one of the posts was the mention of us not having anyone who is any good or can be trusted with the tuning of these beasts. Agreed we are playing 2nd fiddle when it comes to building the engines, (or at least we don't have as many who can do as good a job as they can in jap land) but when it comes to tuning them we are at least ahead of the game! \:D/

Mikejc
Bobby (aka Shaggar)

Not one to cause an argument but concerning the technical know-how of the nations I wouldnt exactly say were a little behind mate. You claim out prowess lies in tuning the engines but as far as i see were only really masters of Motec. What you have to consider is that the ajps have the choice of Mines, Blitz, HKS SZ, HKS F-Con, Apex i FC blah blah and all produce success at various levels.

im not dissing the Uk completely, we are very good at many thngs otherwise we wouldnt be the base for so many other sports (WRC, Indycar, F1 etc) but when it comes to import tuning anyone who thinks were even close is kidding themselves.

Need further proof, well just run that HKS Drag vid again (by the way thats the one i promised you yonks ago mate! oops!) and look at the consistent times they produce. OK, so some say its easy to make a car go fast in a straight line? Have you seen some Best Motoring video footage recently let alone laps of Tsukuba. Their cars truly defy the laws of physics. Im not claiming i can do better, my car seems to have lost its path a while back but I can certainly see whats going on around me.

I feel another contributary factor is the lack of homegrown stuff. The main reason the states has narrowed the gap is the abundance of stuff available inland rather than having to import so much like the Uk. having a look at the best cars stateside ,less and less are using imported jap stuff. this UK situ is certainly whats holding us back to a degree as like you said, the cost of glueing a big power car together can be astronomical. Look at the biggest power cars over here and compared to the USA nearly the whole car has been shipped in from Japan in part form almost.

To end on a positive note, given the inherent cost of our parts, tuning, taxes, duty, and fuel, we actually defy a lot of expectations and as more companies show ingenuity, prices should come down enalbling more to dabble in big power driving.

Bobby

ps, Mikey, what bodykit bit are you gluing on next? :lol: :mrgreen: =D>
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

I don't think the UK is behind, I am led to believe a lot of the parts for big tuning companies like HKS are actually made in the UK, particularly pistons. The UK is known world wide for it's engineering prowess, just because no-one has taken an MR2 by the horns yet doesn't mean they couldn't. :)
T
splashnatz

Post by splashnatz »

no the japanese are definatley ahead of us when it comes to fettling the cars. do they do things as "safely" as us, no i don't think they do. think they're more likely to go to the ragged edge, whereas we want to maintain a degree of dependability.
Bobby (aka Shaggar)

tonigmr2 wrote:I don't think the UK is behind, I am led to believe a lot of the parts for big tuning companies like HKS are actually made in the UK, particularly pistons. The UK is known world wide for it's engineering prowess, just because no-one has taken an MR2 by the horns yet doesn't mean they couldn't. :)
T

thats absolutely true Toni but surely its a case of HKS designing the parts and speccing them up then using the UK grease monkeys to knock em up? I dont think the UK can start taking credit for the results gained from Jap design ed gear. Its like us designing so much stuff then getting it ,made in China. We wouldnt want anyone giving China the credit would we? :?

things are changing slowly though. If you look around a lot of what id call stage one gear can now be esily found in the UK, whether it be boost controllers, guages, induction kits , zorsts etc. Its the stage 2 and beyond gear which we need to see more of homegrown .

Just my opinion.

Bobby :D
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

No I honestly think HKS don't spec them up, they have a lot of respect for some of the tuners here in the UK if you talk to their agents!!

They may have pushed the envelope out more in terms of MR2 tuning in Japan, but I do honestly believe if someone had the time/money we could easily replicate it all here, and more.
T

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”