Fastest MR2 in UK?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jimGTS

Re: Fastest MR2 in UK?

Post by jimGTS »

Red_Turbo

Post by Red_Turbo »

seriously mate the guy hasnt got a clue. i'll find the mag feature in a bit and get my facts right, its a huge difference whatever it was. he knackered my last car up. i bought a hybrid turbo from him and he fitted it and didnt check the actuator - i drove down the road and my car boosted to 19psi on stock internals, it didnt like that (it was a 406turbo-stealth!) then my dad had an induction kit fitted there and they struggled doin that, the guy was reading the instruction manual and didnt have a clue... #-o
Red_Turbo

Post by Red_Turbo »

already seen that today on this site somewhere!! very good though
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

Red_Turbo wrote:so do you know of any non road legal ones that have gone quicker as i havent seen any at any of the events ive been to - couldnt make it to ten of the best so not sure if there were any there?

fastest british time = 11.2

theres a jap built white one in scotland that ran a 10.9 a year or 2 ago and the aforementioned alfa mr2
ducatichick

Post by ducatichick »

Gordy wrote:
Yeh ive read that the alfa racing mr2 now in the UK did a 10.8 1/4 on street tyres and 10.2 on slicks but that was recorded in japan and built in japan. to get that figure its putting out 518bhp on a hybrid trust td88-34d turbo running 1.35 bar of boost but has a claimed potential of 750bhp at 2.2bar. like me others have probably read about it in banzai mag and im assuming this is the quickest mr2 in the uk built in japan?

im interested in finding out if im right - is this is the quickest mr2 built in japan and now in the uk?

and who owns the quickest mr2 built and run in the UK?

I don't know the fella who owns it and he might be a very nice bloke, but " potential of 750bhp at... " means absolutely NOTHING.

Potential and claims are just hot air. Results are the only things that matter. Prove it can do a 10.2 in this country. Up the boost and dyno it at 750 bhp in this country. Until then it's just another nice MR2.

Not that I am opinionated or anything... :D

It is in the 600hp figures honey-I'll see if the box is in and ask him along to the rolling road day-SILLY FAST.

doesn't (funnily enough) go round corners very well though..

easilly the fastest car I've been in. Keeps asking me to do his 1/4 mile. :shock: O:) :twisted: the jap slip times are authentic. :wink:

Very nice car, looks awsome with the parachute on the back..! :tongue:

nice guy too. knows how to drive it well 8)
Gordy

Post by Gordy »

WTF!!! you can get 470hp with just a good standalone and Stock Twins if you tune it right

Stock Twins? *hangs head in shame at not knowing what Stock Twins means*
steve b

Post by steve b »

Gordy wrote:
WTF!!! you can get 470hp with just a good standalone and Stock Twins if you tune it right

Stock Twins? *hangs head in shame at not knowing what Stock Twins means*

not needing to dump the twin turbo setup for a big single
Gordy

Post by Gordy »

not needing to dump the twin turbo setup for a big single

Oh, was trying to relate it to an MR2. No wonder it threw me !

Anyway, many thanks for the info.
jonb-

Post by jonb- »

In my day that would have meant twin webbers.

Oh wait, i'm only 25.
minx

Post by minx »

Simon W's car was built buy himself in the UK, the quickest 1/4 mile he has done to date is 11.1 with a 60ft time of 1.8 and terminal speed of 128.71 on the 28/05/06 at york raceway, should you wish to confirm this see york raceway drag times car number T104 as for the spec of the car you would need to speak to him as far too much work done to list, normally he is spotted at the sherburn meet first tuesday of the month should you wish to talk to him about the spec.
Red_Turbo

Post by Red_Turbo »

ducatichick wrote:It is in the 600hp figures honey-I'll see if the box is in and ask him along to the rolling road day-SILLY FAST.

doesn't (funnily enough) go round corners very well though..

easilly the fastest car I've been in. Keeps asking me to do his 1/4 mile. :shock: O:) :twisted: the jap slip times are authentic. :wink:

Very nice car, looks awsome with the parachute on the back..! :tongue:

nice guy too. knows how to drive it well 8)

It would be good to find out what it is actually running as there are soo many cars coming over from japan with big specs and owners buying them unable to prove if it is true. its not like you can strip the engine down and identify the parts at the docks!

but it would be great to find out what bhp the car has and what 1/4ml time the owner can achieve. the magazine article says it is unbelievably quick and dont doubt it for a second if its putting out over 600hp!

Red_Tuurbo
Red_Turbo

Post by Red_Turbo »

minx wrote:Simon W's car was built buy himself in the UK, the quickest 1/4 mile he has done to date is 11.1 with a 60ft time of 1.8 and terminal speed of 128.71 on the 28/05/06 at york raceway, should you wish to confirm this see york raceway drag times car number T104 as for the spec of the car you would need to speak to him as far too much work done to list, normally he is spotted at the sherburn meet first tuesday of the month should you wish to talk to him about the spec.

Just done a quick search to try and find some info on his car but cant find anything, is he involved with IMOC much? would like to know what he has done to make such a quick MR2! Has he got a website?

Thanks

Red_Turbo
70by

Post by 70by »

if mr2s can do 9's in japan why are we so far behind, the skylines,evo's,scooby's and supras all seem to be getting there in times, are there some dark arts to the 3sgte we haven't found yet? it can't be lack of enthusiasm if this site is anything to go by :lol:
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

70by wrote:if mr2s can do 9's in japan why are we so far behind, the skylines,evo's,scooby's and supras all seem to be getting there in times, are there some dark arts to the 3sgte we haven't found yet? it can't be lack of enthusiasm if this site is anything to go by :lol:

most cars running those sort of times, wether it be in japan, uk, usa etc are mostly tuner cars
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

^^ what he said.

You're talking serious money once you get into the 10s. :shock:
T
70by

Post by 70by »

well we all need a tuner in england with serious money to spend on an mr2 then, why do we always have to take a back seat to scoobys,skylines and evos. our engines are capable,the grip on a mid engined car is good and the shape of a mk2 mr2 is aerodynamicly really good!!! one of us needs to win the lottery [-o<
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

i'd hazzard a guess at us doing a fair bit better at totb in years to come :wink:
Mikejc

Post by Mikejc »

70by wrote:if mr2s can do 9's in japan why are we so far behind, the skylines,evo's,scooby's and supras all seem to be getting there in times, are there some dark arts to the 3sgte we haven't found yet? it can't be lack of enthusiasm if this site is anything to go by :lol:

It comes down to money like Toni has said. You also have to consider that MR2's simply don't cost as much as the GTR's of this world which means you for the most part have poorer owners in the 2 camp, Toni aside of course! lol ;)

Another factor worth considering.....my own car's engine has been built to cope with a great deal more than the 500+bhp we have in mind for it. Infact if we strapped on a bigger turbo than the one that's been selected i'm of no doubt that in the right hands the car would run 10 second 1/4's :shock: But you have to consider the stress placed on the engine, any engine regardless of who's built it, will be under when aiming that high!

So to some up I would have to say that enough money has been ploughed into my car to make it a 1/4 mile monster, but am I prepared to spend all of that money again when the engine let's go earlier than it would if running the 500+bhp I intend to.... no thank you good Sir! [-(

Mikejc
jonno

Post by jonno »

I dont get it to be honest, who cares about the fastest MR2 in a straight line? Surely if straight lines were your thing you wouldnt be messing around with a mid engined car in the first place?

Its like finally getting a date with a gorgeous girl you have been chasing for ages and then taking her to Burger King!

Building a 10s MR2? rev1 tubby, stripped to the bone, 200 shot Nitrous, GT35 @ 2 bar, Forged Pistons, Cheap ECU with a WOT map (probably detting its head off) and Drag Slicks. Why hasnt anybody done it yet? Because its pointless and anyone with enough intelligence to earn enough money to do it has enough inelligence to realise that its not worth doing :)

Neil.
Forever Feels Like Home, Sitting All Alone Inside Your Head...
splashnatz

Post by splashnatz »

think your wrong there jonno, the mr2 is a good platform for a pretty good 1/4 mile car. probably there are more 1/4 milers with 2's than circuit players.

and i'm convinced simon's car will break into the 10's. But even he says it's a bigjump from a low 11 to a high 10. but i still think he'll do it :)

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”