Clonking front suspension

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Matty_GTS

Clonking front suspension

Post by Matty_GTS »

Ok for months now the front suspension on my car has clonked/knocked as i hit bumps and the worst bit is when i go over a speed bump. When i hit the bump it make a loud knock but and even louder one on the way down!

I think it may be the droplinks?

Does this sound like that is the problem and if so where is the best place to get two new ones?

Cheers :D
Matty_GTS

Re: Clonking front suspension

Post by Matty_GTS »

Oh and it still knocks regardless of my original Bilstiens being on there or my Apexi coilovers
nailmonkey

Post by nailmonkey »

If it does it with the original springs and the apexi's, might be something like the metal wearing through the bush on the ARB?

If it is droplinks, how about some sBits ones from Twos-r-us?

Nik
Lictor

Post by Lictor »

I finally just got the knock/clunk on mine sorted after about a year. Turns out it was a loose nut/bolt on top of the nearside suspension strut. Nothing obvious by looking they had to be tightened for it to be found.
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

Matty_GTS wrote:
I think it may be the droplinks?

Does this sound like that is the problem and if so where is the best place to get two new ones?

Try driving over a surface where you're twisting the ARB - ie one side over a pothole/sleeping policeman etc - the other on flat smooth tarmac. If you're still getting the noise then, it could be ARB related.

I'd check and replace the ARB bushes, and check the bracket mounting points - they have been known to crack on Rev1s

Return to “Mechanical”