Mk2 Rev1 Tubby technical questions

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

monkeyra
Premium Member

Mk2 Rev1 Tubby technical questions

Post by monkeyra »

A few questions relating to my MK2 Rev1 tubby which I cant find definitie answers to by searching. I appreciate all help you can offer me! Smile

I drove my MR2 tonight for the first time in the wet. The car had been sitting around all day in the rain, so I guess rain had been getting into the engine bay through the vents on top.
For the first 3 or 4 miles it ran like a bag of s**t, farting, burping, missing and popping. I assume this is a problem with the water and electrics. Is it due to the car needing a good service? IE, distributor cap, plugs, leads etc?

How can I tell if my car has been "de-limited"? It's got 110 mph speedo face and reads the speed in MPH pretty accurately. The odometer reads in kilometers. The car goes over 110mph pretty comfortably.
This makes me think it's been "de-limited". The issue I'm having is the handling of the car. The steering is really light at speed and is actually quite scary. Is this because it hasn't been "de-limited" correctly and the power-steering is still active over 60mph? (I'm gaining this info from what i've read around on the forums). If this is the case, how can I check, and how can I limit it back again, until I get time to carry out this modification correctly?

I have one speaker behind the passenger seat. Does this mean I have a passive or active stereo system?

Lighting. I have an aftermarket toggle switch to control high and low beam for the front lights. Why isn't this wired in with the main lighting stalk? Is the japenese spec different from the UK, thus making all imports having to carry out this modification? Or did the previous owner bodge something up?

The center tunnel which runs through the passenger compartment. What should be at the rear below the glass? I have screw-holes where something used to reside, but I havent seen any photos yet of that section of the car.

Thats it for the moment, thanks! :)
redmr89

Re: Mk2 Rev1 Tubby technical questions

Post by redmr89 »

if youve never drove an mr2 before expect them to be light stearing and light at the front end because of the rear engine layout.

the speaker behind the seat should be a subwoofer. originally it would have had an amp with it but depends if a previous owner has taken it out.

my car's a jap import and all my light work of the stalk except for the fog lights which there is a separate switch

at the rear of the tunnel there should be a storage unit. with two storage areas in one which lifts up one that pulls down .great for keeping cd's in .

hth.
MR2_RICH

Post by MR2_RICH »

Get your car serviced. I leave mine out in the rain quite a lot and have not had any problems Mines a rev1 tubby too.

You can tell if it's been delimited by looking at the top of the gearbox where the speedo drive fits in. If you can see a black box between the cable and the gearbox then it's delimited. It shouldn't effect your steering.
I have this on mine and noticed no change in the steering when fitted.

Light steering is normal as said due to the lack of weight over the front.

If you have the sub then yes active stereo. Is yours a GT or GTS ?? Does it have electric folding mirrors, half leather seats etc?

To turn the high beam on or just the side lights etc just twist and push the stalk. If yours doesn't work it's because the stalk is broken. Get a new one.

As said there should be a storage bin betweent the two seats. I haven't got a pick but someone will.
monkeyra
Premium Member

Post by monkeyra »

Cheers guys for the answers.

When you say top of gearbox, is this within the engine bay?

Mines a GT, has leccy mirros, half leather etc.

Will look into getting new stalk, kinda annoying as it is!
MR2_RICH

Post by MR2_RICH »

yes mate the gearbox is in the engine bay.

Open the cover and walk round to the passenger side of the car. Look down and you will see the gear box, now look to the back of the car and you will see a black cable going into the gearbox. If it sits pretty flush then it's not delimited. If on the other hand there appears to be a mechanism there standing proud about 2 or 3 inches then it's already delimited.

I hope all this makes sense.

Kind of hard to explain without a photo.
monkeyra
Premium Member

Post by monkeyra »

ok, assuming i'm looking at the right thing....

big black cable (partly insulated with foam) goes down to rear of car, then delves into what looks the gearbox.

It's got what looks like a screwcap on top, that screws it to the gearbox, but thats it. So i'm guessing no limiter at that point....

Return to “Mechanical”