Mk1 deathtrap...

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Sharpfish

Re: Mk1 deathtrap...

Post by Sharpfish »

Batersbys and mid-engines don't mix - what else is there to know?

I am waiting for tonight's show where the blame shifts from "daft bint who shouldn't be in a metro never mind an mr2", through "Stupid mechanic who should concentrate on regrowing a moustache instead of 'sprucing up' classic motors" to the car itself :: "Aye - it's an old rust bucket waiting to kill ye, toyota are infamous for their dangerous, poorly built and unreliable cars "

](*,)

If they slag the car off and make out it's dangerous and all who drive one are idiots, I'll be on the phone to Mr T quicker than you can say "lawsuit from Japan" ;)

Still, with this white one and the red one from last year someone on the corrie production team obviously thinks they look good on TV. Even if the camp lad who shacks up with the lady addicted to murderers said on seeing it given to Leanne "Hmm, I would have thought he'd buy her something newer!?" - Yeah, like an n-Reg Corsa with 50bhp and the handling to match. :whistle:
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

What a shame, looked a tidy example! Tut tut her revving that engine from cold...not that it matters now...

Anybody fancy tracking down the car in a scrappy for a bit of automotive history. :D
T
OlberJ

Post by OlberJ »

Nice wee shot of her pins at the end there too.

Top TV. :lol:
Sharpfish

Post by Sharpfish »

Just watched the clip again (thanks to the person who converted it) - her mum does say "ooh it's a lot better now you've done it up!" which is something.

However why does she AIM for the wall even before she realises the brakes don't work? And I've gone under a lorry @ 60mph in my last Supercharger and had no leg injuries or "ahhhhh" moments.. (minor whiplash only) but then I wasn't wearing girly boots and nothing on my legs ;)

Also I love how the aspect ratio of the clip makes the car look like the cartoon mk1s in the jap owners manual.

It was very clean looking on closer inspection - couldn't see any rust - arches sorted etc, maybe it was a scrapper they just put a quick topcoat of white on to look decent before finally sending off to the great scrapyard in the sky. Leather interior too (bagsy the seats - my drivers leather is ripped) :)

<edit> where did you get the source from? I would like to see the other bit where the car first appeared outside the rovers and the camera panned up the bonnet and over the roof - looked cool :)
waynestoyotamr2

Post by waynestoyotamr2 »

Quite a week for the Mk1, and TV appearances....

Was just catching up with a bit of Sky+ this afternoon and on Ramsays Kitchen Hell (or woteva it is) as he was walking down the high street in Nantwich, what drives past? a Helios Blue Mk1, with color coded wing mirrors!
"If in doubt - just make the numbers up!" ;)
moogy

Post by moogy »

Why did the tyres squeal just before she hit the wall if the brakes failed ??

Why is there the sound of breaking glass as she hits the wall ??

Why can explosions be seen going off as the Twin Towers fall ? Oh sorry, wrong conspiracy theory ! #-o
waynestoyotamr2

Post by waynestoyotamr2 »

waynestoyotamr2 wrote:Quite a week for the Mk1, and TV appearances....

Was just catching up with a bit of Sky+ this afternoon and on Ramsays Kitchen Hell (or woteva it is) as he was walking down the high street in Nantwich, what drives past? a Helios Blue Mk1, with color coded wing mirrors!

Just thought I'd follow up with this:

"If in doubt - just make the numbers up!" ;)
mart1975

Post by mart1975 »

cool, my wife thinks we are all sad! she may have a point :lol:

this coming from someone who watches home & away :shock: :-k
Goto10

Post by Goto10 »

Sharpfish wrote:
<edit> where did you get the source from? I would like to see the other bit where the car first appeared outside the rovers and the camera panned up the bonnet and over the roof - looked cool :)

Looks a bit grubby to start with!
http://www.turbomr2.co.uk/mk1b.wmv
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

waynestoyotamr2 wrote:

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b6/wa ... ramsay.jpg

Mark spotted that too. I missed it. :oops:
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
Sharpfish

Post by Sharpfish »

Goto10 wrote:
Sharpfish wrote:

Looks a bit grubby to start with!
http://www.turbomr2.co.uk/mk1b.wmv

Thanks - though to a mk1 fan(atic) we can see past the grime to the beauty underneath.. to the untrained eye, sure it can look like a grotty bag of nails (albeit an exotic shaped one) ;)
gordy.r

Post by gordy.r »

Goto10 wrote:Who needs Sky+ when you've got the interweb?
Downloaded the torrent and snipped out the mk1 bit:

http://www.turbomr2.co.uk/mk1.wmv

*definitely* looked like black ice to me.

I had a tear in my eye as that '2' slid into that wall..... :cry:
Chunky Monkey

Post by Chunky Monkey »

aaa its fixable.
Sponge Bob

Post by Sponge Bob »

A few questions answered -

I agree with the no smoke/steam issue - just damaging the rad or knocking a pipe off would result in a liquid dump - you only get steam when the water from the rad spills onto a hot manifold etc etc - my old corolla was great at steaming from the front!!

They didn't crash the car at all - hence no damage - furthermore the car is not going to any scrappies... the car was driven in a variety of shots, and in the final one, the car actually drives behind a fake wall section and up the curb. Then dry ice machines were activated and the wall pyrotechnically blasted over - giving the impression that it has just been hit...
Ridge Racer

Post by Ridge Racer »

rofl that was pathetic :lol:
Sharpfish

Post by Sharpfish »

Let it be known, i'm still seething over the blatant misrepresentation of the amazing mk1 mr2... over 2 years later.

... on the upside I haven't watched Corrie for almost the same amount of time, bonus! :mrgreen:
crazybrightman

Post by crazybrightman »

ok ive just watched the link and wtf! that was the biggest load of turd ever! someone explan to me how she got whiplash? or the eason why even an ambulance was considered? it cant be a proper mk1 either there should have been a massive pile of rust fallen out when it hit the wall!
viperrr

Post by viperrr »

waynestoyotamr2 wrote:

I live in Nantwich and I've never seen that Mr2 about!
I'll have to keep my eyes open from now on :thumleft:
Karl_T

Post by Karl_T »

At that speed why not just steer round the wall? #-o
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

What a waste of a car to put on a xxxx program such as Corrie! I would have had the wings and mirrors off of that!

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”