Help buying a Beauty Of Tubbyness

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Draven

Help buying a Beauty Of Tubbyness

Post by Draven »

I know this has probably been posted a million times but.

I'm a new member of the forum as this is my first post. I have been dreaming about owning a Mr2 tubby now for 3 years and have been saving now i have a good job. And can afford it But !!!.
:shock:

I want to get a really good one i can stretch to 4k which i will have in around 2 months. Every penny saved by me none of this loan stuff.

I would like some pointers or even i will pay for your petrol and a pint down the pub one of you lads or ladys who knows your stuff about tubbys to come with me to see one or two.. :mrgreen:

I have been doing my research i know some stuff to look for rusting round front suspension etc. and when i do choose one i will get a full AA inspection (yes thats how serious i am lol). So any words of wisdom.

one question is a

Black rev3 t-bar mr2 tubby with not mahoosive mileage a possiblity of 4k or am i dreaming....

Thanks muchly. :D
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Re: Help buying a Beauty Of Tubbyness

Post by tonigmr2 »

Well it's certainly possible, but I wouldn't necessarily expect a mint low mileage example for that!

With tubbies you'll see a vast array of pricing, but IMHO you really do get what you pay for - of course you could get lucky and find a car that someone is just desperate to sell for good money (it happens) but in the main your budget is going to be stretched to buy a good rev3.

Better perhaps to save a bit more IMHO, otherwise you could end up paying out in repairs the difference anyway.

Oh and welcome! Look around the site, and take a look in the for sale section, you never know what you might see.

Rgds
T
Draven

Post by Draven »

Thanks very much for your reply. hmmm would you recommend buying a car from the section on this site. ? You see i don't know i'm worried about making a wrong choice and getting a lemon. I'm afraid i would like someone to hold my hand and tell me its all going to be ok. So i really want

:-k.
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

There are loads of people on here who would help you I am sure - if you tell us what area you are in?

You could always talk to an importer too - there are a couple of good ones on IMOC (I've just bought from www.nvicars.co.uk) - and we've got an FAQ of what to look for somewhere round here...

T
Draven

Post by Draven »

Yeah NVI cars was one of the places i was really considering. They have some really nice cars. How was the service etc. :shock:. Maybe i will ask around at least you get a little more security dealing with a company such as NVI as they import all the time they arn't likely to buy lemons
Draven

Post by Draven »

I'm near northampton. hence NVI cars being an obious option. So yeah if there is anyone in the area would like to give me a hand. As i say i'm going to be buying in around 2 months when i have the rest of the money sorted.

I feel like a little kid again.
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Here you go..

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5827

Should answer your Qs of most things to look for.

Tom at NVI is a top guy - you can see my car in members profiles.
http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=29653

Not all importers are necessarily good though (!) so go with the guys that get recommended to you by people who've had good service.

Other examples might be NewEra or JDI, but you have to wait for your car to arrive then.

My main peice of advice is go look at a few, you'll soon get an idea of the difference between a nice one or not then.
T
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Ahh Milton Keynes! I work here in MK 8)
You are welcome to come look over my tubby next week if you like for a chat.
T
Draven

Post by Draven »

Yes i would like that very much. I have looked at the pic's she is a stunner. Now thats the kinda tubby i would like to get its mint. Well i will send you a PM with my number. Just gimmie a bell and let me know when you are free and it would be very nice to meet you and have a chat and maybe a pint/cola.

Thanks
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Will do! Should be around Tuesday and Thursday at work next week I think.

It cost me a bit more than £4K though. :wink: :D
T
Draven

Post by Draven »

I know i can imagine but being a poor man i will have to do. if i really struggle sell some stuff get rid of the missus. Then maybe i could muster 5.5K will have to see but i will pm you shortly.
Bry

Post by Bry »

If you find a car in the kent/essesx area that you want to look at I'd be willing to look at it with you :)
Watch out OZ here I come !!
Draven

Post by Draven »

Thanks Very much kent is a bit far for me but i guess it depends would travel quite a way for the perfect MR2
Bry

Post by Bry »

Draven wrote:Thanks Very much kent is a bit far for me but i guess it depends would travel quite a way for the perfect MR2

When I was looking for a mint mr2 I planned to fly to scotland to look at one :shock: but it sold before I arranged the flight.As you've said, you may have to do some travelling to find a car that you think is purfect.
Good luck mate :D
Watch out OZ here I come !!
Draven

Post by Draven »

Thanks muchly. Well when i get the beast i will put lots of flattering pictures up and say lots of things like. I'm well happy and wow. Its been a long hard time saving up i hope it was worth it. But if i do find on near you i will let you know.

Thanks
ducatichick

Post by ducatichick »

Bry wrote:If you find a car in the kent/essesx area that you want to look at I'd be willing to look at it with you :)

2nd'ed if Bry is busy...i can streach to london/Cambridge too :wink:
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

Yep me too. I'm in Harpendenm wouldn't mind travelling a little to have a look round one with ya. pm if you find something.

Luke
:D
philz

Post by philz »

In my experience there are certain criteria that sets the value of an MR2.

Rev 3 turbo's demand a premium over Rev 1 and 2's
Black cars also seem to command a bit more money (red/pink seem to be cheapest as they fade)
T-bars also increase the value of a car.
Truely "mint" cars are few and far between so again they are naturally more expensive.

You might be able to buy a Rev3 for £4k but I doubt you'll get all your wishes unless you can raise your budget. Personally I prefer to buy a good car in the first place rather than a dog that needs thousands spending to get it up to standard.

If you can save another £3k by March I'll be selling mine (it fits your criteria nicely :)) (www.mr2-turbo.co.uk)
ducatichick

Post by ducatichick »

now that^^ is mint =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~
philz

Post by philz »

Almost as polished as some of your engine components eh? ;)

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”