The journey of one man and his Mule(s)

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Magic Beans

Re: The journey of one man and his Mule(s)

Post by Magic Beans »

No Greddy skirts will be appearing on the car, nor any other bodykit. I have a couple of subtle exterior changes to make, but I'll detail those as/when they come :wink:

That does make sense, emissions wise. To be honest I have no clue how it works :lol:
synXero

Post by synXero »

Makes me miss my old white MR2 again :D
Red Devil

Post by Red Devil »

craig wrote:For emissions, on a turbo converted MR2, pretty sure it's the based on the year of engine fitted, not the car.

Close but no cigar. :wink:

For a converted car, it's whichever is older, the engine OR the vehicle - https://www.mot-testing.service.gov.uk/ ... 000301.htm
The vehicle won't be an issue as the date of first use/registration will be on the V5C. Otoh for the engine you have to be able to convince the tester of its year of manufacture.

The 3S-GTE was never fitted to a MR2 sold in the UK market. So there is no exact match in the In service exhaust emission standards for road vehicles Eighteenth edition.
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... dition.pdf

Therefore the following flowchart needs to be used to determine the correct test to be carried out - https://www.mot-testing.service.gov.uk/ ... 000309.htm
As can be seen the crucial date is 1st August 1995* as that is when the lower limits become operative.

* Especially if you have a decat downpipe... :mrgreen:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

synXero wrote:Makes me miss my old white MR2 again :D

Not tempted to get another '2 at some point? :wink:

Red Devil wrote:
craig wrote:For emissions, on a turbo converted MR2, pretty sure it's the based on the year of engine fitted, not the car.

Close but no cigar. :wink:

For a converted car, it's whichever is older, the engine OR the vehicle - https://www.mot-testing.service.gov.uk/ ... 000301.htm
The vehicle won't be an issue as the date of first use/registration will be on the V5C. Otoh for the engine you have to be able to convince the tester of its year of manufacture.

The 3S-GTE was never fitted to a MR2 sold in the UK market. So there is no exact match in the In service exhaust emission standards for road vehicles Eighteenth edition.
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... dition.pdf

Therefore the following flowchart needs to be used to determine the correct test to be carried out - https://www.mot-testing.service.gov.uk/ ... 000309.htm
As can be seen the crucial date is 1st August 1995* as that is when the lower limits become operative.

* Especially if you have a decat downpipe... :mrgreen:

Perfect answer, thanks :thumleft:

I'll not worry next time.
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Hardly been at home recently, so progress on the jobs list has been slow. However, I have got a couple of bits done.

First up was swapping a section of the boost piping that I wasn't happy with. Even though the car is now boosting as expected I still suspected there improvements to be found. This arrived in the post last week.

Out with the cold piping, again :roll:

Out with the old gubbins.

A few cuts, measures, refits and tests later, it's all back in. So much cleaner!

Just been out for a test run and felt an immediate improvement. Boost feels much cleaner, I was now hitting full boost and more. So much so I've had to dial it all back a chunk and reset everything. I had a feeling this area was causing an issue, so it's vindicating to know I was right and it's corrected :cheers:

Next up was putting the sparkle back in the rear lights. They'd got a bit dull and cloudy, as you'll see.

A bit of spit on a dirty rag (read T Cut, polish and wax) later and we have this.

The cloudiness has now been replaced by reflections of clouds! I'm pretty pleased with how they've cleaned up to be honest. Not bad for about 30 mins of work :D
craig

Post by craig »

Nice work buddy. Amazing what shining up the rear lights makes to the aesthetics of the back of the car 8)
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Agreed :thumleft:

Now I patiently wait for the last few details to arrive :bounce:
Last edited by Magic Beans on Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

looking good buddy :thumleft: :thumleft:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Decided to have a good look at the Teins tonight. With a view to cleaning them up and fitting if I decided they were right for the car. Before that, however, there's been a dramatic twist with Patrick!!!

I'm not sure what to make of this?! Is Patrick actually called Sarah? Was Patrick formally called Sarah but now wants to be recognised as Patrick, or vice versa? Does Patrick have an alter ego or is perhaps schizophrenic? Obviously I accept Patrick (Sarah) whatever his/her/its life choices or condition.

Ok, now that's out the way, back to suspension. I had at them with the Kurust, to tackle the surface corrosion.

The top mounts have corroded and ultimately split. After stress testing the splits they eventually came apart, which you'd want to happen in a test rather than when they're fitted to the car!

Can they be replaced? Is it worth replacing them, cost wise?

One last thing I wanted to look at was the ignition barrel surround. It was bugging me, something didn't look quite right but I couldn't put my finger on what it was?? I had spares from the old car but nothing fit the gap :-k

After a few comparisons I realised the barrel itself was different. The others I've seen have the key turn indicators on, whereas this didn't. I'm guessing the locks have been replaced at some point :-k It's no problem at all, I just wanted to understand why it was making my eyes itch :lol:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

When washing the car I'd been noticing that there was water ingress into the frunk. With my previous cars I know a bit can get it, especially if you're keen with the pressure washer. This seemed more than a bit, so I took some time to see why and how to prevent it.

Pretty quickly it become obvious that the bonnet wasn't quite sitting right, it was a tad high.

My first thoughts, which I ran with, were that the gas rams that hold the bonnet up were causing it not to seat correctly when closed. It turns out I was wrong but I ran with it and did some tests nonetheless. As a test I decided to remove the rams and refit the old prop. After digging it back out it was clear I couldn't just refit it.

It was pretty bad to say the least. I decided to take it back to bare metal though as it was still structurally sound.

My logic was that if it were needed I'd probably replace it anyway, but 10 minutes work to stop the rot was worth it. So a coat of Kurust, some drying time and then a covering, left us with this.

Cut to today: First thing was to whip off the gas rams, which became a challenge in itself. Especially when my socket fell into the bodywork, meaning I had to take time out to remove the arch liner and retrieve it #-o The rams eventually came off and a bonnet close test done; same issue :roll: :lol: Sooo, back on with the rams. I then did the thing I quickly realised I should have done; adjust the bonnet itself. Which I did.. for about an hour.... :neutral: Eventually I got it pretty much spot on, to my eye at least.

Now thoroughly bored of bonnets I decided to move to the opposite end. It was time to fit the newly painted strut top/brace/bridge/whatever the hell they are, things. Currently it looked like this.

A spit and polish later gave us this.

All back together we're left with this.

The more I do the more it highlights how much the engine needs doing! It's going to have to wait until it's engine time, but it is starting to make my eyes itch. Some bits will be done in the next few weeks, as part of the transition to the B&W colour (well, lack of) palette for the engine bay. And yes, that includes things I've already painted #-o
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

Looking good.. engine looks great, nice and clean as it :)
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Looking great!
Ben

Post by Ben »

Looking good there. I still need to see this! :lol:
2001 BMW M5 (Bahnstormer) | 2004 RX8 231 (the Racecat) | 2001 Volvo V70 (Swedish eBay barge)

Previous:
1989 MR2 Mk1b T-bar | 1988 MR2 SC Super Edition
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

Ben wrote:Looking good there. I still need to see this! :lol:

we are at my house this weekend PHIL!!!!!
Ben

Post by Ben »

Image Phil! Come and play! :D
2001 BMW M5 (Bahnstormer) | 2004 RX8 231 (the Racecat) | 2001 Volvo V70 (Swedish eBay barge)

Previous:
1989 MR2 Mk1b T-bar | 1988 MR2 SC Super Edition
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Kinda late notice :roll: [-(

We're busy anyway. We'll see you at Blyton though :thumleft:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

[-(

:mrgreen:
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

I will just have to have your drink for you... i have a large carton of cider from Lee
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Ok, make sure you do a good job of it then. I would have got VERY drunk, I'll need you do to the same.

Ben: Can you make sure he does please :mrgreen:

Return to “Member Profiles”