Tin top owners - any regret over lack of T-Bar?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

pbmr2

Re: Tin top owners - any regret over lack of T-Bar?

Post by pbmr2 »

had the sun in my eyes with the t-tops in and the blinds removed today. not fun at all. Just wanted to put the blinds back in. needed a baseball cap or the blinds mounting to resolve the problem.

Oh well, summer is coming and I`m sure the t-bars will make more sense then.
stuMR2lee

Post by stuMR2lee »

I always tint my t-bars for this reason. Plus, they look a lot better tinted.

Open top option FTW. If tin top then aircon is a must.
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

It's all about the moon roof fellas!!

No leaks, no creaking noises, looks like a tin top but you can still remove the roof if needed and it fits nicely in the frunk so nothing is sticking in your back :lol:
stuMR2lee

Post by stuMR2lee »

Gee Man wrote:It's all about the moon roof fellas!!

No leaks, no creaking noises, looks like a tin top but you can still remove the roof if needed and it fits nicely in the frunk so nothing is sticking in your back :lol:

Bit too 90's Ford for me. Sunroofs don't leak, I find that surprising. Wish our Gen7 Celica one didn't.
nathan.z

Post by nathan.z »

Had both and I don't miss the T-Bar. The leaks or condensation build up in the winter for one days worth of enjoyment when the sun decides to pop out. The extra light was appreciated as it made the cabin feel larger, but again here in England all you'll ever see is grey above...
craig

Post by craig »

nathan.z wrote:Had both and I don't miss the T-Bar. The leaks or condensation build up in the winter for one days worth of enjoyment when the sun decides to pop out. The extra light was appreciated as it made the cabin feel larger, but again here in England all you'll ever see is grey above...

What a pessimist. :lol:
danjama

Post by danjama »

I have only read the OP, not the thread.

I actually missed a t-bar massively when I owned my tintop turbo, so much so that I sold a good, solid car which I had broken my back over, to buy a t-bar.

It was obviously more important to me that I wanted to admit.

Nothing beats hearing that spool and whoosh with the t-tops out.

Edit: I should add I went tbar NA>tintop turbo>tbar turbo>tbar turbo

I'd only buy another tintop if I was going to track it regularly.

Having read the rest of the thread, i'm surprised. I thought most would prefer t-bar. As I live in the south east, if it's dry and i'm alone the roof will be out, except for on motorways.
Nails

Post by Nails »

2 tbars then a tintop. Much prefer the tin top. The mr2 makes a crap convertible. Noisy. Buffering. A right faff getting the tops off and on. Creaky. Spoils the looks. Drain tubes in your sills rotting your car. Heavier. Leaky. Craig's lives inside he can't comment about leaks lol.
craig

Post by craig »

My car was parked round the back of my old house for a year before I moved into a house with a garage.

Sat there in rain, snow, the lot. No leaks whatsoever following the fitting of a new Toyota T bar seal kit.
danjama

Post by danjama »

None of mine have ever leaked either. [-(

All the points above are subjective and differ from car to car. My tintop never felt lighter or less creaky than any of my t-bars. Buffering is only an issue above 60mph. Literally takes 1 minute to get both sides out and stowed. And IMO it looks brilliant with the panels out, if anything makes it more interesting.
VGB

Post by VGB »

I've got a t bar and a moon roof. I seem to be at odds as I like the look of the t bar with the panels in. It sort of adds a certain contrast. I do however really like the idea of the tin top. I think they look really sleek. The moon roof however just seems a halfway house. Stuck in the middle of the roof spoiling the lines but not adding any interest. Just to clarify I got the moon roof one as I wanted a rev 5 and I always wanted a white 2. Great car just not keen on the looks of the moon roof.
Nails

Post by Nails »

danjama wrote:None of mine have ever leaked either. [-(

All the points above are subjective and differ from car to car. My tintop never felt lighter or less creaky than any of my t-bars. Buffering is only an issue above 60mph. Literally takes 1 minute to get both sides out and stowed. And IMO it looks brilliant with the panels out, if anything makes it more interesting.

Even if theyre not leaking into the cabin they're leaking into your sills. But I'd like to see some one get both panels off and stowed and ready to go in less than a minute.
craig

Post by craig »

Nails wrote:
danjama wrote:None of mine have ever leaked either. [-(

Even if theyre not leaking into the cabin they're leaking into your sills. But I'd like to see some one get both panels off and stowed and ready to go in less than a minute.

I can have my roof off and stored in a minute, no problem. Not entirely sure why this is required though? :lol:

My sills have also been repaired where necessary, so they're both now solid. Waxoyled the inner sill cavity and rubber coated the external sills. All inner foam also removed. Next question? :mrgreen:
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Well, as it's a lovely morning in Essex today, here's reasons to go T-Top 1 to 100:

craig

Post by craig »

Gazza_DJ wrote:Well, as it's a lovely morning in Essex today, here's reasons to go T-Top 1 to 100:

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i.imgur.com/NElptvR.jpg

8)
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Nails wrote:

Even if theyre not leaking into the cabin they're leaking into your sills.

the drain tube goes to the window vents, so im not sure how anything could reach the sills??
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

Black tbar or not at all. Just got a tin top, and in white, looks tons better. Just roll the windows down!
craig

Post by craig »

My black T bar in the mountains last year, with the roof off:

Car's changed a bit since then though! :mrgreen:
James Junior

Post by James Junior »

Martin F wrote:Sometimes when the right car comes along the decision gets taken away from you, The whole thing that brought me to mr2s was the T-tops and 'yes' , I miss them a lot :(

Afternoon all,

I see this has proven a divisive thread! Thank you all for your input.

Martin's wise words have proven the case. The tin-top that was offered to me was simply too good to pass up, despite my love for T-Bars. I paid top whack for it, but the condition and history is outstanding and I am sure I would struggle to find another one like it.

The only downside is that the current (soon to be previous!) owner has removed the aircon, so I am now scavenging for parts to reinstate it.

I will post some pictures once I have taken delivery in a few weeks. Hopefully I won't feel too claustrophobic in it and won't feel obliged to drive around with my head stuck out of the window like Ace Ventura... :lol:
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

mr2nut123 wrote:Black tbar or not at all. Just got a tin top, and in white, looks tons better. Just roll the windows down!

There is another way....

:D :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”