[Mk2] [Turbo] Back end bouncing.

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

kurkjones

[Mk2] [Turbo] Back end bouncing.

Post by kurkjones »

Just got new tein lowering springs all round the car with new shockers on the front. Front feels totally fine although a lot firmer and responsive.
The rear however feels bouncier then usual but maybe it's firming but not getting dampened? I'm not sure but has anyone had the same feel or issue? If so how's it been fixed?
Toyota MR2 - 3S-GTE - 1991 Turbo - Yellow
Willenium

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Back end bouncing.

Post by Willenium »

Did you check the damping action of the rears while the springs were off? If they were not brilliant then that would have been an ideal time to replace or upgrade them.
Nic

Post by Nic »

Tein springs give a terrible ride, they are over sprung and lower the car so much that the suspension can bottom out on the bump stops, which could be what you are feeling.

Probably not what you want to hear but my advice would be to bin them and fit different springs.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
kurkjones

Post by kurkjones »

Nic wrote:Tein springs give a terrible ride, they are over sprung and lower the car so much that the suspension can bottom out on the bump stops, which could be what you are feeling.

Probably not what you want to hear but my advice would be to bin them and fit different springs.

That's pretty exact. Not had trouble bottoming out yet. But I fear the blitz exhaust is soon so scrape.
The front end just feels so good to give them up. Is there no way I can keep the fronts and replace rears with something different?
Nic

Post by Nic »

kurkjones wrote:That's pretty exact. Not had trouble bottoming out yet. But I fear the blitz exhaust is soon so scrape.

When I say bottoming out I don't mean the underneath of the car on the road. I mean that the shock absorbers and shorter Tein springs are compressing so much that the top of the shock absorber is hitting the elastomer bump stop that sits underneath the upper mounts.

In this pic imagine the spring compressing fully and the top of the shock absorber hitting the elastomer 'bumper' and squashing it against the 'suspension support' that is what you are probably experiencing.

Mine came fitted with Tein springs when I bought it and on an uneven road you could feel the suspension bottoming out, which made for a harsh, crashy ride and very dangerous handling. I now have Eibach pro springs and Bilstein shock absorbers fitted which completely transformed the ride, handling and grip levels.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
kurkjones

Post by kurkjones »

I'm with you now Nic. Sounds about right really. Maybe not the best investment then, at least they were reasonably priced. I'm not ultra keen on how much the car has been lowered either though. Do you have eibachs all round and if so is it harsh/bumpy/how low? Thanks.
Nic

Post by Nic »

kurkjones wrote:I'm with you now Nic. Sounds about right really. Maybe not the best investment then, at least they were reasonably priced. I'm not ultra keen on how much the car has been lowered either though. Do you have eibachs all round and if so is it harsh/bumpy/how low? Thanks.

Yes I have the Eibach Pro springs front and rear, they lower the car around 20-25mm (the Teins are more like 40+mm once fitted). I also fitted new black Bilstein dampers, new Toyota top mounts, bump stops, gaiters and drop links. For me the setup is perfect for fast road use, a little firmer than stock but never harsh or uncomfortable. I also ditched the ridiculously large 18" wheels the car came fitted with and fitted 16's which also transformed the ride and handling.

The Eibach springs are discontinued now so not easy to find, I've read that Apex springs are a popular choice with members and are still available but I don't have any personal experience with these, if you do a search you'll find threads about them.

I'd also recommend getting the tracking and alignment setup by someone who really knows what they are doing, this again will have a big effect on the handling and grip.

Hope that help.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
kurkjones

Post by kurkjones »

I'm with you now Nic. Sounds about right really. Maybe not the best investment then, at least they were reasonably priced. I'm not ultra keen on how much the car has been lowered either though. Do you have eibachs all round and if so is it harsh/bumpy/how low? Thanks.
kurkjones

Post by kurkjones »

I did look at the Apex springs. But heard tein had a good reputation, obviously not for street use by the sounds of things though.

I'll have a look at what I can find online and do my research then go from there.
I run 17" wheels, is there an increase in handling from 17 down to 16? I had looked at changing to a 16" setup previously.
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

kurkjones wrote:I did look at the Apex springs. But heard tein had a good reputation, obviously not for street use by the sounds of things though.

I'll have a look at what I can find online and do my research then go from there.
I run 17" wheels, is there an increase in handling from 17 down to 16? I had looked at changing to a 16" setup previously.

You'll find a lot of positives dropping down to 16's. Turn in will be better, over all ride quality will be better (bigger profile). Cheaper tyres also :thumleft:

If you do go for 16's i'd recommend rainsport 3 tyres!!! They are simply awesome in the wet and dry! Loads and i mean loads of grip in the wet which is want you want in an mr2. :thumleft:
Willenium

Post by Willenium »

Another vote for Rainsport 3's here :thumleft: I prefer 17" though.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

If ride height is a priority for you, get coilovers - as long as you don't get really xxxx ones ride height adjusts independently of suspension travel.
kurkjones

Post by kurkjones »

I wouldn't say ride height is what I'm looking for. I'm not bothered about the height really but I know lower can make the car look sleeker but comes with downsides too.
Might end up swapping around back to the stock springs for now all round as the ride is quite bouncy. Or might wait until I can afford new shockers all round too. Then look at other springs to fit when I'm doing shockers. I would leave the front as it is but uneven heights might cause another issue if I use different springs on back. Plus I'm purchasing two sets and only using half of each.
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Eibach Pro's seem to always be top no matter what car in terms of spring selection.
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

kurkjones wrote:I wouldn't say ride height is what I'm looking for. I'm not bothered about the height really but I know lower can make the car look sleeker but comes with downsides too.
Might end up swapping around back to the stock springs for now all round as the ride is quite bouncy. Or might wait until I can afford new shockers all round too. Then look at other springs to fit when I'm doing shockers. I would leave the front as it is but uneven heights might cause another issue if I use different springs on back. Plus I'm purchasing two sets and only using half of each.

Or just buy some coilovers and run them at a soft setting. I run my BC's on setting 6-8 and they ride just like standard shocks nice and comfy. Probably cheaper than new springs and shocks all round as well haha.

Height wise mine is what i would class as pretty low and i don't catch anywhere. I guess it depends on the size of your exhaust
mr2garageswindon

Post by mr2garageswindon »

Coilovers on our terrible roads makes my moobs jiggle... I don't like em. I've driven loads of customer cars with all sorts of set ups and prefer Bilstein Blacks or standard with uprated slightly lower springs... IMO it gives the best quality ride with predictable handling. I am 40 and wear slippers at home... I like comfort.

Just at thought... anyone seen air ride on SW20 before? Hmm... :-k

Return to “Modifications”