Porting wastegate

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mr299ron

Porting wastegate

Post by mr299ron »

Fitted a japspeed downpipe to my rev 2 tubby which raised the boost to 15psi due to the wastegate not being able to open properly, and now with the addition of a Berk the pressure has risen to 17/18psi because I think the wastegate can no longer take the pressure of the airflow now.

I've contacted a few garages that can port wastegates and sort out the stuck wastegate, but I'd just like to know if I'm going in the right direction.

Cheers
99ron
Willenium

Re: Porting wastegate

Post by Willenium »

I read that the problem is the flow capacity of the new downpipe. The gas will find the easiest path of escape and if that happens to be through the turbine due to lack of resistance then that's where it will go. Berk are said to make very high quality downpipes so I doubt it's a case of wastegate fouling on anything.

Going by the above logic, the best setup would be a smaller diameter downpipe with divorced wastegate section. I can't find one though.
mr299ron

Post by mr299ron »

No it's a japspeed downpipe with a berk exhaust to the back. Japspeeds are known for fouling
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

mr299ron wrote:No it's a japspeed downpipe with a berk exhaust to the back. Japspeeds are known for fouling

the problem is the downpipe. Either buy a new one or buy a flange and space it out so the wastegate flap can open fully.
mr299ron

Post by mr299ron »

It's being taken to a place who've dealt with this before, so I'll update on here what they do so anyone in future knows what to do.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Pics of my porting on this thread .. http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... 4cf9b88b8f

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”