Brake pad reccomendations Ebay bargain ideally!

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

rev3turbo

Re: Brake pad reccomendations Ebay bargain ideally!

Post by rev3turbo »

RedMR² wrote:It just really gets my back up, when cost is the number one priority. ESPECIALLY where brakes and tyres are concerned.

you run falkens or toyos or summat equally as crap, dont you?
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

So wait, because my wms calipers use the Earls linea that they were bloody designed with. They somehow arent as good as the goodridge lines because???

Surely I shouldve died already after 6 trackdays using them.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Race Idiot wrote:So wait, because my wms calipers use the Earls linea that they were bloody designed with. They somehow arent as good as the goodridge lines because???

Surely I shouldve died already after 6 trackdays using them.

Every response you get will come back to the brackets - any other angle will be skirted around. I said in my OP I wouldn't get dragged into another debate on the topic, that's not gone well!
I should have found myself 'parked' under the rear end of a lorry on a dual carriageway some time in the past 30,000 miles if you were to believe some of the comments here :lol:
markstevieandmads

Post by markstevieandmads »

Can't believe what I'm reading here tbh...

I've got matt Lewis racing braided lines. Cheapest ones on eBay and I did thorough research of these before purchasing. yes, they don't come with "specific" brackets but a simple p clip can hold these in place.

They work well and do the job on and off track.

There is a lot of peeps on here that have more money than sense.

Just do your research (and not necessarily just this forum) before you purchase.
masterbateson

Post by masterbateson »

I think as far as anything goes and relating to the diplomatic thing (and this doesn't just refer to Red MR2 but everyone) as Redmr2 does come out with some helpful comments :lol:

But, and I am getting to my point :lol: Lets all try and remember that not everyone has the deepest pockets and unlimited funds.
Just because you can buy better/more expensive items, that doesn't automatically make anything else that's more affordable a complete pile of Sh1te! or dangerous.

Considering the amount of modification/alteration from what was originally released from the factory, a P clip for a brake line is hardly that radical.

Some poor people on here (where's the crying emoticon when you need it) cant afford or justify Goodridge hoses Porterfield or carbontech pads and any other manner of auto exotica.
For those who can afford such things then good luck too you :thumleft: but please don't rub other peoples noses in it.

And finally I would like to fall back on one of my fave sayings
" opinions are like ar$e holes, every ones got one" including me and mine.

Peace and love to you all tho! :hug:
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

rev3turbo wrote:
RedMR² wrote:It just really gets my back up, when cost is the number one priority. ESPECIALLY where brakes and tyres are concerned.

you run falkens or toyos or summat equally as crap, dont you?

:lol:
masterbateson

Post by masterbateson »

Well just to maintain balance, have you personally tried either Nexen or toyo tyres?

Toyo proxies were the tyre of choice in MGTF circles and I certainly found them to be good.

Nexen I have no experience of.

I was reading a review of some Barum Bravuris tyres which I think are a budget brand and they were given very good reviews, not just from the so called professional tester/reviewer but the reviews left by joe public were very encouraging.

I'll put my neck on the line here, but I will bet more than 70% of the time when a mr2 gets crashed due to losing the back end, its more down to driver error than tyres or brakes. :-#
BTW you can all have a good laugh when you've heard I have totalled my car heading backwards thru a hedge/dry stone wall
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Yes, I have - Toyo and Falken's road tyres are an excellent compromise between performance and price. I'd recommend either to anyone who didn't want to pay a pretty significant amount more for a high end Continental, Goodyear, or similar. If RedMR2 does run a midrange tyre there's nothing wrong with that, though it's a bit hypocritical to slate a cheaper set of brake lanes on 'quality' grounds, only then to 'cheap out' on tyres.

Personally, I usually run a mid range tyre as it's my daily, and the majority of the usage is to and from work where I'm never going to reach the limits of, say, a Kumho KU31. Now that I have a few sets of wheels I am considering fitting one of the sets with AD08R's or similar for those summer weekends where I'm going to be doing some proper driving / track days.
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

RedMR² wrote:
Gazza_DJ wrote::roll: Not going to get into this argument with you again. A simple clip hardly qualifies as modification to fit. It's literally a bolt on item.

Not convinced. I would buy Goodridge over HEL anyday of the week.

I have Goodridge lines on mine. I didn't even consider HEL as an alternative.

The only reason you'd use a clip for brake lines that don't include it, is down to the fact they're cheap. Which seems to be the leading factor on everything these days. :roll:

The Goodridge ones use the same bracket as oem. Quality, not cost is the way I roll.

Each to their own I guess..

Perhaps they're 'cheaper' because they don't include the bespoke bracket therefore reducing overall production cost? I fail to see how the lack of the bracket has any impact on their quality as a brake line, oh that's right it doesn't.

RedMR² wrote:I'm done arguing, can't be bothered. I fitted Goodridge because I wanted the best quality. You go and fit cheap lines with the brackets missing. :thumleft: http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/35190691.jpg

You actually had an argument?
ashley

Post by ashley »

I had HEL lines on my last track car- they worked fine, although after 24 months the ends were rusted to s**t, and one of them had deformed and kinked.

This time round I've decided to spend a bit more and use the Goodridge lines- they don't have the plated fittings on them- they are fully stainless (so shouldn't rust out I hope!), and the quality of the braided lines themselves is higher- so hopefully I won't get any deformation again.

The fact they come with the rear brackets is just a bonus to be honest, if there were other lines out there of a similar quality without the brackets, for a better price- then I wouldn't hesitate :thumleft:
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

HEL lines are made with 303/304 Stainless, I'm very surprised they rusted. Mine still look brand new after 25,000 miles / 1 year.
ashley

Post by ashley »

Gazza_DJ wrote:HEL lines are made with 303/304 Stainless, I'm very surprised they rusted. Mine still look brand new after 25,000 miles / 1 year.

The braid itself may be, but the fittings were not (at least on the set I had)- maybe I was unlucky?
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

Gazza_DJ wrote:HEL lines are made with 303/304 Stainless, I'm very surprised they rusted. Mine still look brand new after 25,000 miles / 1 year.

Lines may be stainless but zinc plated fittings? I know some brands do zinc plated as standard and you pay extra for the stainless fittings.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Nope, they've always been fully stainless:
http://auto.helperformance.com/toyota-mr2-2-0-1989-1999

Where did you buy them from originally?
ashley

Post by ashley »

Good question- I'd have to go back and check, sure I've got a receipt somewhere :-k
masterbateson

Post by masterbateson »

I dabble in fixing tellys for a bit of extra spending money, as used to do this as my 1st job.

And I have to say, I see a lot of high end allegedly good makes such as sony failing after say 14mths often with terminal problems.

In my current work field we have a lot of supposedly high end gear in our server cabinets, they break down too :lol:

Luck of the draw sometime
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

I'm sorry but TOYO T1r's are utter crap in the wet!! Worst tyre i've used!!

Ok in the dry.

Rainsport 3 are awesome in the wet and dry and lets be fair its wet more than it's dry in the UK. :lol:
masterbateson

Post by masterbateson »

Ah you see my pet cars live in the garage and only come out when its dry :lol:
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

Race Idiot wrote:
bobhatton wrote:
Gazza_DJ wrote:I'm not trying to convince you, I'm giving the OP an alternative option.
If you want to pay a £50+ premium for two brackets, then that's fine. That's the only difference.

HEL make good quality hoses, and are a supplier for many motorsport series on two and four wheels. If they were crap like you are saying, then they wouldn't be used by various BTCC, World SBK and BSB, to name a few.

HEL are a cheap make of hoses and fittings

Goodridge hose and fitting are used on F1 cars

So wait HEL is cheap because they dont supply F1 cars and BTCC isnt good enough to put it on a roadcar? Makes no sense whatsoever #-o

HEL also supply some moto GP teams as far as I remember. Nothing wrong with them at all. But then Bob sells goodridge stuff so has a vested interest to discredit other brands.

Goodridge aren't bad by any means, I've used Hel and goodridge before, my MR2 has Japanese APP brake lines on it.

And FWIW, from personal experience I think both speedflow and EARL's AN hose ends are nicer than goodridge. Speedflow by a mile actually, they go together much nicer than any others and have a real quality feel to them.
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

But...... the brackets!! :roll: :lol:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”