Knocking / Clicking noise ( front end / brakes ) with VIDEO

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

JLW

Knocking / Clicking noise ( front end / brakes ) with VIDEO

Post by JLW »

Hi Guys

recently started getting a clicking / knocking noise from what i believe is the brake callipers, predominantly makes the sound at slow speed if i was to reverse and then drive forward, and as soon as the brake pedal is touched, even remotely softly. A loud knocking noise comes from what sounds like, only the drivers front calliper.

I'm wondering if this is just the pads sliding back and forward due to a seized pin, but haven't had the time to look at it yet, so thought i might get a heads up from you guys first.

managed to get a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjgSEXn ... e=youtu.be

let me know what you think.

cheers :D
GreddyMR2

Re: Knocking / Clicking noise ( front end / brakes ) with VIDEO

Post by GreddyMR2 »

I have the same sound at the same wheel, but only sometimes. Still didn't figure out what could it be.
mr2garageswindon

Post by mr2garageswindon »

Sound like the pads moving up and down in the pad carrier due to missing retaining clips to me. Quick look with the wheel off should shed some light on it.
markstevieandmads

Post by markstevieandmads »

Also make sure your wheel bolts are tight. I had same issue and found 4 of the 5 bolts real loose lol
JLW

Post by JLW »

mr2garageswindon wrote:Sound like the pads moving up and down in the pad carrier due to missing retaining clips to me. Quick look with the wheel off should shed some light on it.

TBH this was my first thought, I had the exact same thing happen on my GSXR turned out to be retaining clips and also that the pads hadn't been copper slipped on the back. guess ill find out tonight.
Torero

Post by Torero »

Sounds like a suspension spring has broken.
3VZ-FE V6 TRD Widebody Replica

Draven wrote "TRD dude. TRD... Can see awesomness from anywhere. "

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0
JLW

Post by JLW »

Torero wrote:Sounds like a suspension spring has broken.

thats what I'm hoping hasn't happened, but it does sound more spring based, the cars running Mesister R zebec coilovers , so maybe there is an issue with the spring rocking forward and back on the shock leg ?
Torero

Post by Torero »

JLW wrote:it does sound more spring based, the cars running Mesister R zebec coilovers , so maybe there is an issue with the spring rocking forward and back on the shock leg ?

Ouch, expensive if it is. #-o

I've never heard it on coilovers but on OEM shocks and springs, this does sound like the spring is moving within the seat and the noise is the recoil after it has been compressed and released.

I hope it's not buddy.

JLW

Post by JLW »

cheers mate, yeah I'll find out tonight as taking all the wheels off to service the callipers prior to painting them.
JLW

Post by JLW »

So, after getting the car in the air with all the wheels off I noticed that the lower suspension cup that keeps the shock leg in place was loose on the side that the noise was coming from.

I'm not sure if this was causing the noise, but now since its been tightened to be how all the other 3 were, the sound has quietened, but not disappeared, its about 4 out of ten when before it was a solid 10 if you understand the metaphor.

the shock leg which i adjusted

and the others correctly setup.

I have just completely serviced the brakes this weekend, checking everything, the lower calliper pin was a little bit stiffer then the top one, but definitely not seized.

any ideas ?
Torero

Post by Torero »

Is it happening when you're turning L or R, Jordan? Does it happen when you drive in a straight line only?

JLW

Post by JLW »

It happens with the wheel turned at all angles, the noise doesn't seem to get any louder if the wheels at an angle or vice versa.

doesn't make sense really as i have completely serviced the brakes and found no issues, the cars running camber bolts on the front and fully negative adjustable top mounts as the previous owner had it setup that way to clear wheels rubbing.

could that be a factor ?
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

sounds to me like either pad slap in the calipers, or knackered coilovers.

with the car jacked up, make sure there's no pre-load on the spring (i.e the lower spring perch/adjuster should just be tight enough to keep the spring in place)

try to move the rubber dust boot up so you can see the piston where it goes into the damper body and refit then rock the wheel as if you are checking for dead wheel bearings, if you can see the damper body moving about like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7B19kbRxMg

then they're broken, time for some new suspension.

you can also have an assistant sit in the car, with the wheel on spin it up by hand then get your assistant to hit the brakes, you can usually trace where the noise is coming from that way.
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
JLW

Post by JLW »

Rob - East Coast Imports wrote:sounds to me like either pad slap in the calipers, or knackered coilovers.

with the car jacked up, make sure there's no pre-load on the spring (i.e the lower spring perch/adjuster should just be tight enough to keep the spring in place)

try to move the rubber dust boot up so you can see the piston where it goes into the damper body and refit then rock the wheel as if you are checking for dead wheel bearings, if you can see the damper body moving about like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7B19kbRxMg

then they're broken, time for some new suspension.

you can also have an assistant sit in the car, with the wheel on spin it up by hand then get your assistant to hit the brakes, you can usually trace where the noise is coming from that way.

Cheers mate, hoping that this is not the case, but to be honest it seems
Like a likely scenario, the suspension is supposedly only 1-2,000miles
Old, so hopefully there is some kind of warranty or at least I could get
meister to service that leg if there is issues !

I'll check over the weekend and let you know.

Thanks,
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

no worries mate,

if it makes you feel any better I've had the same issue before (not on my mr2) and it's not uncommon on aftermarket coilovers.
JLW

Post by JLW »

The only thing Is, that as you can see in the video, It takes me driving forward and then having to reverse and then drive forward again to create the noise on the brake pedal.

If I was to simply drive forward then brake and then repeat It doesn't make the sound, this Is why my initial thought of the pads rocking forward and back was so strong.

I will check the shock legs as you have indicated tonight however.
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

JLW wrote:The only thing Is, that as you can see in the video, It takes me driving forward and then having to reverse and then drive forward again to create the noise on the brake pedal.

If I was to simply drive forward then brake and then repeat It doesn't make the sound, this Is why my initial thought of the pads rocking forward and back was so strong.

I will check the shock legs as you have indicated tonight however.

pad slap is a possibility, it generally only happens in (and is quite common in) calipers that don't have a separate carrier where the pads are held in place by pins - i.e brembo 4 pots etc. The mr2 obviously has a sliding caliper and a fixed carrier where the pads are physically located in the carrier so they dont (shouldn't) move back and forth at all. it is worth checking that your pads do have the retaining/anti squeal shims in place between the pad and the carrier, and that someone hasn't filed off some of the backing plate to get the pads in. you will be able to see quickly if there is a gap between the pad and the carrier as you will be able to lever the pad back and forth with a screwdriver.
MeisterR

Post by MeisterR »

We are in contact anyways, and if it is the coilovers we will help sort it out.
But judging from the sound, don't seems like the damper as it should be making that noise all the time if it is the coilovers assembly.

Jerrick
gavsdavs

Post by gavsdavs »

If you think it's brakes, have a read:
http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... highlight=

There are spring clips to hold them in place; they deteriorate; they need to be put in the calipers the right way up.
JLW

Post by JLW »

gavsdavs wrote:The pads are a different width :(

I will have a go at checking/replacing all the springs myself after its back from getting a new exhaust.

I have found there is a bit of variance around the width of front pads available for the MR2 - some are 114.0mm wide, some are 114.5mm, I haven't found/measured the exact dimensions of the carbotechs yet.

Might still be springs, but I might actually need some way of faking an increase in width in the pad to stop them from clunking in place.

Have a vid of it which I will post up later.

And the Winner is "GavsDavs"

your correct I believe buddy, after going through the list of things that Jerrick and Edwin at Meister sent me, I asked the missus to sit in the car on the jack and span the wheel back and forward whilst applying the brake.
As per the video below you can clearly see that the pad rocks forward and back in the calliper housing and creates the noise.

the Link that "GavsDavs" has above shows that the 2 axis clip / shim is supposed to be sat at the bottom to counteract the pad slipping back down as you can see in my video !

Before I bought the car in august, the previous owner serviced the front brakes. And therefore must have put the shims back incorrectly as I just followed the way I found them when servicing.

I'm going to move them to the bottom this week and will confirm if its sorted the noise :)

http://vid1252.photobucket.com/albums/h ... 2jezn6.mp4

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”