[Mk2] [Turbo] Oil Leak Help!!!!

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jonnybegoode

[Mk2] [Turbo] Oil Leak Help!!!!

Post by jonnybegoode »

Hi I am getting kinda desperate and my mechanic has hit a brick wall!

I have a MK2 Rev2 Turbo on 90,000 miles which seemed to have a blown head gasket. Although the car started and didn't misfire the engine would overheat very quickly and the AA told me that there were Hydrocarbons in the coolant so a definite leak as far as they were concerned.

So I had it towed to a performance garage and they put a new metal gasket set on and had the head skimmed.

However after the top end being rebuilt although it no longer overheated it was burning a lot of oil with lots of white smoke out of the exhaust. There was oil in the intercooler pipe and the mechanics thought it was the turbo so I put a recon CT20B on in place of the existing CT26.

However there was still smoke!!!

So the garage now seemed to think it was the valve stem seals, so next they replaced them. Still the same problem!

They have just changed the piston rings and there's still lots of smoke and it starts missfiring as soon as the engine warms up.

They are stumped.

Has anyone else seen anything like this? At the moment I feel like crying as I have spent a lot on the car and it's still not fixed!! :cry:
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Oil Leak Help!!!!

Post by Peter Gidden »

What were the leak down test results?

Were bores measured and honed when the rings were replaced?

Did the turbo come from a trusted source?

Sounds like a lot of guess work going on and very little diagnostics.

Return to “Mechanical”