[Mk2] [Generic] Plug and play brakes?

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mister two

[Mk2] [Generic] Plug and play brakes?

Post by mister two »

Before I start I have searched and read several threads regarding brakes. But everyone had different opinions and can't decide who to believe lol

So my '97 mk2 went in for a service yesterday. The mechanic wasn't happy with the brakes. Rears are binding on one side and fronts have play in them

I have read loads of times that the standard brakes are pretty poor and are prone to seizing. Iv also read others day they are the mutts nuts once refurbed

I'm not tracking the car so not looking for a bbk or anything. Just want something that will work well without requiring constant maintenance

Had considered the gt4, s14 or supra upgrade but again mixed opinions and all of them require work to fit them

Also if I end up with a combination if different parts I could have a headache sourcing parts in the future

So what is my best option? Refurb these or are there any other models where everything fits easily?

Thanks in advance
2mad

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Plug and play brakes?

Post by 2mad »

Get rebuilt .. lots of places will do it especially on ebay .. fit carbotech ax6's job done :thumleft: all the stopping power on the street you'll ever need .
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

mister two wrote:Rears are binding on one side

So either cable needs changing or a simple swap for an exchange reconditioned caliper will sort that problem. Did your mechanic diagnose the seized componet?

mister two wrote: fronts have play in them

What does that mean? :?

Brake systems need maintaining, especially as cars get older.

The Rev2-5 brakes are perfectly adequate for road use, and none of the guys on our Le Mans trips have ever complained on spirited downhill mountain descents.

Replace/refurb worn out or expired components, job done.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

A freshly refurbed set of brakes with new discs and pads works wonderfully, even with OE spec pads. As Peter said, they simply need maintaining - that means cleaning them and making sure that the rubbers are in good condition, sliders greased with the correct brake grease (NOT copper grease!).
Nic

Post by Nic »

Gazza_DJ wrote:A freshly refurbed set of brakes with new discs and pads works wonderfully, even with OE spec pads. As Peter said, they simply need maintaining - that means cleaning them and making sure that the rubbers are in good condition, sliders greased with the correct brake grease (NOT copper grease!).

Completely agree.

Get the brakes serviced and you'll see for yourself just how good they are when they are working properly.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

unlike the VAG motors or even Porsche, Toyota don't have any brake equipment you can get from the higher end models and bolt to the MR2 so anything different will require adaptors to be made up. I changed my brakes because the difference in price for the BBK versus getting refurb'd stock calipers wasn't that much (if fitting Carbotec pads to the stock brakes) but for ease of swapping regarding extra hardware requirements, go the stock refurb route.
abovetherim

Post by abovetherim »

Get you OE brakes refurbed. If you can do it yourself there are seal kits available (I chose ones from biggred, they also do cylinders for the calipers if you need those to). If you need someone to do it for you a competent mechanic should be able to do it but you could consider a full service like the one biggred offer, full strip down, coating of choice, new cylinders/seals... the lot. Now this is not as cheap as buying already refurbed like the ones off ebay but you can choose your finish!!

Also inspect and replace if necessary the slider pins and as already mentioned, DON'T USE COPPER GREASE. On the sliders use red brake grease or the like.

I refurbed my own back in spring 2011 and the car gets intermittent use but the brakes have been faultless.

No one has mentioned this already but the addition of braided hoses can improve the feel of the brakes also. Brand is up to you but be aware that only the Goodrich ones come with the same in built bracket on the rears. Hel ones are just as good and have the correct fittings for the struts but don't have the in built bracket, but this can be overcome with a p clip!
Nic

Post by Nic »

abovetherim wrote:No one has mentioned this already but the addition of braided hoses can improve the feel of the brakes also. Brand is up to you but be aware that only the Goodrich ones come with the same in built bracket on the rears. Hel ones are just as good and have the correct fittings for the struts but don't have the in built bracket, but this can be overcome with a p clip!

The Rogue brake lines also include the rear brackets.

If you don't have ABS I'd also recommend fitting a brake master cylinder stopper, this along with the braided lines significantly firm up the pedal feel.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
mister two

Post by mister two »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:

mister two wrote: fronts have play in them

What does that mean? :?

He said the pads were loose in their carriers

Thanks for the input folks. Will look into prices for refurbing these
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

mister two wrote:

He said the pads were loose in their carriers

Are all the clips in place to hold the pads?
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
kirk

Post by kirk »

Nic wrote:The Rogue brake lines also include the rear brackets.

Does anyone run these? I've been looking for info on the "weather proofing" which I presume mean's they're zinc coated.
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

kirk wrote:I've been looking for info on the "weather proofing" which I presume mean's they're zinc coated.

Correct. Much the same as any other steel product.

Not to be confused of course with stainless hose ends supplied by Goodridge.
kirk

Post by kirk »

I thought goodridge fittings were also zinc plated rather than being true stainless?

Naturally this is something I want to do on mine but I want the proper lines with the brackets and proper stainless lines rather than coated ones from previous experience.
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

kirk wrote:I thought goodridge fittings were also zinc plated rather than being true stainless?.

All quality, branded PTFE braided hose is braided with stainless steel wire.

Goodridge supply both zinc plated and stainless hose ends.
jon

Post by jon »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:Goodridge supply both zinc plated and stainless hose ends.

I didn't manage to find anywhere that sold the Goodridge hoses with stainless ends when I looked last year. Who sells them?

Edit: to clarify, I didn't find anywhere that sold hose with all stainless fittings. Only the banjos are stainless.

Return to “Mechanical”