How to reset the speedo clock?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

alan wheeldon

How to reset the speedo clock?

Post by alan wheeldon »

Is it possible to set the speedo clock back to zero without breaking it?
craig

Re: How to reset the speedo clock?

Post by craig »

alan wheeldon wrote:Is it possible to set the speedo clock back to zero without breaking it?

I take it you mean the car's total mileage?
alan wheeldon

Post by alan wheeldon »

Yes that's what I mean.

If you can't then I'm thinking of getting a new independent speedo but if you can change it then bonus :)
craig

Post by craig »

alan wheeldon wrote:Yes that's what I mean.

If you can't then I'm thinking of getting a new independent speedo but if you can change it then bonus :)

I believe they're designed so that if they're tampered with then the numbers don't line up properly. Not 100% sure on this one..
MarkDon

Post by MarkDon »

Why would you want it back to zero? That would mess with readings for mot's and insurance. Would probably put potential buyers off and i think it may be illegal as clocking the milage?

Though i want to know if it can be done as i need a new set of clocks and want to be able to adjust new set to read the same.

Some cars you can put a drill into where the speedo cable goes and set it away but i guess that could take a while.
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

RedMR² wrote:
I believe they're designed so that if they're tampered with then the numbers don't line up properly. Not 100% sure on this one..

ive read this before and whilst i cant explicitly deny it, my experience of it says that its not true. Ive clocked 3 different sets of MR2 gauges now and im pretty sure with each one ive managed to get the numbers to line up. In addition i just went and had a look at my MR2 which whilst again i cant be sure of (memory fails me as to which one of these previous sets of gauges i finally put in), i suspect the odo in it used to read 89k and now reads 141k (my doing), and the numbers line up perfectly.

The way i clocked them was as follows. unscrew the speedo from the cluster unit. you will see on the back of the gauge each digit has a cog next to it. The cog is driven in some way by the odo mechanism which turns the digits. All i did was use my fingers to jump the cog on its driving gizmo. Maybe if you rewind it in some way they dont line up but my methods worked several times now.
alan wheeldon

Post by alan wheeldon »

Ok I'll give that a try next week when I get my car back, cheers :)
DAN_REV1_TURBO

Post by DAN_REV1_TURBO »

It isnt that difficult, quite fiddly though, I did mine when I bought a new uk dial cluster and converted the mileage from KM`s to Miles and printed out a sheet to confirm it all and detailed it myself. So if an amateur like me can do it anyone can!
Steve Horrocks

Post by Steve Horrocks »

As above folks have said. I simply wound the cogs on by hand (uses small jewellers screwdriver iirc) when I swapped to a 180 speedo. All line up perfectly. Very easy to do.
476bhp & 415ft lb @ 1.9bar Magic by Ryan!
Gone, but never forgotten
Now with a mk1.5 & a NHB EP3
upoynavanje

How to reset the speedo clock

Post by upoynavanje »

Nice one trev.... this could be handy if and when i ever get mine working and installed....

Jut wondering really, is there any way to change the reading from KMs to miles??
DAN_REV1_TURBO

Post by DAN_REV1_TURBO »

Use this to work out your miles... http://www.calculateme.com/Length/Kilom ... oMiles.htm

1KM is like 0.6Miles roughly isnt it.
Last edited by DAN_REV1_TURBO on Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DAN_REV1_TURBO

Post by DAN_REV1_TURBO »

So say 80,000KM is roughly 49,709MILES as an example. Then buy yourself a uk speedo cluster like 160MPH one, and I THINK not 100 percent but doesnt the speedo sender have to be a uk one aswell so that the clocks then add up in miles aswell?

I fitted the cluster/reset the clocks to correct amount of miles myself and had a mate at a garage sort the speedo sender afterwards, it was on a mechanically driven rev1, so not entirely sure on a rev2 arent they electrically driven? But I imagine you would need uk speedo sender and uk cluster, someone will be able to give you a definite answer on here. I fitted a de-limiter to the back of my rev1 cluster whilst it was out aswell bought it with the cluster dunno if its the same principle with a rev2, but you could get that done at the same time if it is, save having the dials out twice.

Edit: Sorry upoynavanje, just realised you werent the OP, so yours might be rev1 aswell for all I know :thumleft:
madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

alan wheeldon wrote:Is it possible to set the speedo clock back to zero without breaking it?

If you remove the speedo head from the instrument cluster, look at the back of the dial face and you will see the mileage wheels sitting on a shaft, clamped at the ends into a plastic mount. This plastic mount is designed to break if you try to remove the shaft, so you have to be careful. I usually do this at the lowest mileage end as this is the end that’s driven. If you look at the end you'll see it's a U shaped plastic bracket with the shaft sticking out of it slightly (imagine two fingers flicking the Vs with a cigar in the notch lol). Take a pair of electricians pliers and apply them to the end of the shaft, put the pliers end on, with one flat face over the top of the plastic bracket and the other flat face under the end of the shaft, with the pliers in line with the shaft. When you squeeze the pliers shut it will lift the shaft out of the notch. This should give you room to spin the wheels and alter the mileage. You might have to tease the shaft up a tiny bit more, but don’t take it right out or you’ll never get it back. When you have the mileage correct, make sure all the wheels are lined up OK and gently press the shaft back in.
kennym

clocking

Post by kennym »

when I imported cars I clocked them all, I hade the trading standards down to see I did it by the book & all was well.

Its abit complicated so the brif version is,

its not ilegal to clock any vehicle, the offence come in not disclosing the fack the mileage has been changed, or to fraudulantly pass it off as corect in order to increase the value of the car.

on the deed its self assuming you have the covers off & the didgits are acsesable gently open the gap on the left hand side of the didgits with a small screwdriver this tacke some pressure off the coggs when turning the nummbers ahhh in a rush so have to go pm me if you need a better explination
pmoores

Post by pmoores »

Thanks, Old post but just completed successfully, and documented :)

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”