gaaah, first car trouble with the mr2 :( suggestions welcome!

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

2mad

Re: gaaah, first car trouble with the mr2 :( suggestions welcome!

Post by 2mad »

sheppy wrote:
2mad wrote:How you getting on shep :?: ... sorted it mate ??

well, car wouldn't start this morning so went and bought new plugs, same ones as stock, still won;t start :( not checked the spark or anything, same bother as before really except hotter (BKR6E) plugs. i'll have to make sure they're not all duds again ](*,)

oh, just to add to this, the car wouldn't run properly last night until it was up to temp. even then it was cutting in and out which I put down to the old plugs being sooted up :( brand new plugs in today and not even a cough :(

This is mental shep .. not often im out of ideas .. really hope you sort it .
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Yeah, will change rotor arm, dizzy cap etc and see how it goes, deffo an ignition to problem :( total pain!
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Hope that sorts it buddy .
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Will need to check spark first, more dud plugs is entirely possible :(
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Such a pain we live opposite ends of this island .. would love to pop by with my multimeter and lend a hand :(
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

The whole thing is just so frustrating :(
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Had a wee chat with Peter at S-Bits, He thinks it could be the MAP sensor, there's a slight possibility that ECU no.1 that had the wee black box attached could have messed with it, not likely but not impossible, I strongly suspect that this is the case as it was this ECU that stopped the car from running, nothing had changed on the car other than that. I've checked for error codes again and there's none, I was actually hoping there was some but no :(

oh, it took a while to get the car to start last night but eventually coughed into life on 3cyl. then would start no problem at all once it was up to temperature. Now it's cold again, no chance ](*,)
Quibble

Post by Quibble »

The first ecu that you tried, the one I lent you, worked ok the last time it was used, but like I told you that was 2 years ago. If it's messed up your map sensor, or whatever it turns out to be, let me know and I'll go halves with you on it. Just reading through this, you say that you tried my ecu for a couple of miles and it ran terrible so you put the blitz ecu back on and there were no issues at all. Could it be that whoever fitted the blitz re-pinned the plug slightly different to suit the blitz? Anyway, I feel terrible if it's this ecu that's caused you all this grief :( . Just let us know how you get on.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Ah don't be silly man, it's in no way shape or form your fault whatsoever, you were trying to help me out and i was just unlucky :( i did think the blitz had been repinned or something but the guy i sold it to has confirmed it works perfect on his car :)

Seriously man don't worry or feel bad about it :thumleft:
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

that's good sportsmanship for both you :thumleft:

Hope you get to the bottom of it mate, must be a nightmare. I've just tucked up my two for the winter overhaul... miss it already :pale:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

I'm not of the nature to blame somebody else for my bad luck, that really is no way to get through life, we're not Americans :) yeah i'll figure this out, was seriously praying for some error codes haha, trying a different map sensor tonight so if nothing else I can at least rule that out :)

Also, it's now snowing, I only ever seem to tinker with mr2s in the snow!!
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Map sensor fits the symptoms .. I remember years ago my dads cars map sensor failed and it ran terrible .. got my fingers crossed for you .
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

2mad wrote:Map sensor fits the symptoms .. I remember years ago my dads cars map sensor failed and it ran terrible .. got my fingers crossed for you .

yeah same here, the simplest fix (although not cheapest) there is on one of these :)
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Luke at Pacific Works also recommending changing the MAP sensor. Couple of other things too but I can do the map sensor easily tonight, praying that this solves it as I just want to get on with project GTX :(
Torero

Post by Torero »

Correct me if I'm wrong but if it's a MAP sensor wouldn't you be seeing an error code?
3VZ-FE V6 TRD Widebody Replica

Draven wrote "TRD dude. TRD... Can see awesomness from anywhere. "

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Torero wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but if it's a MAP sensor wouldn't you be seeing an error code?

Normally yeah, I believe there is an instance in which it can fail without throwing a code though :-k
jon

Post by jon »

If the voltage from the MAP sensor doesn't go outside the expected range the ECU won't throw an error code. It's not clever enough to throw an error code if the MAP sensor reading is within range but doesn't tie up with other inputs like TPS and RPM.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

jon wrote:If the voltage from the MAP sensor doesn't go outside the expected range the ECU won't throw an error code. It's not clever enough to throw an error code if the MAP sensor reading is within range but doesn't tie up with other inputs like TPS and RPM.

That's pretty much to the letter what Peter Gidden said, working map sensor going on tonight so I'll keep this updated. It would appear that the car is completely overfuelling on cold starts which is directly linked to the map sensor.

Very kind of Luke to offer to help and Peter who didn't offer but was (as always) amazingly helpful when I rang him :thumleft:

I do have another couple of things to test but I'm unsure if i'll get them done in the snow while it's dark :( Annoyingly I have a bloody garage but it's full of drumkit :(
2mad

Post by 2mad »

I know its super early .. but did it work :?:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

2mad wrote:I know its super early .. but did it work :?:

Never got a chance to do anything last night man, Will get the map sensor on tonight and see what gives :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”