Does anybody know this car?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

QUOC2008

Re: Does anybody know this car?

Post by QUOC2008 »

Any car with a catergory A,B,C,D means the insurance company will not paid out on a claim for repairs or if you write off for your car... they will only cover the other car or party for damages. I would not touch it
aussieGT

Post by aussieGT »

QUOC2008 wrote:Any car with a catergory A,B,C,D means the car will not paid out on a claim for repairs or if you write off your car... only cover the other car or party for damages. I would not touch it

If thats correct, that would be the most informative thing i've heard you say on this forum. As a new/sometimes/not at the moment resident of the UK it's all a new game for me.

Your DVLA aren't particularly helpful when asked specifics. When there I live in a little house on a privately owned road. I wanted to buy a car that was unregistered and asked if i'd have drama if I drove it on the private road. (Wanted to keep the thing turning over and moving before I re-registered it)

Girl got angry when I asked the definition of 'road' - I think the term is 'highway' there - so I could comply with the legislation. Over here a 'road' is 'means an area that is open to or used by the public and is developed for, or has as one of its main uses, the driving or riding of motor vehicles'
It also includes 'road related areas' (carparks etc) 'an area that is not a road and that is open to or used by the public for driving, riding or parking vehicles'
You have to have your vehicle registered to be in those areas, so i asked for the definition of 'road' and asked if I could drive on the private road. She said that question wasn't relevant, I said it was the most important point. She hung up.
Last edited by aussieGT on Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

I'm not sure that's true at all, i know of a bike that's been paid out on 3 times after incidents, same bike, 3 different friends had incidents on it. All 3 were paid out.

Could be different with a car but i can state the above as absolute fact. I've actually just got a hold of the bike myself, clearly it's cursed so it won't be going on the road!
doogal44

Post by doogal44 »

I can speak from experience having written off the same fiesta twice and been paid out for it twice after buying it back from the insurance company.
It wasn't harder to insure or more expensive. Car cost 1000 to buy got 800 from the first claim and brought it back for £75 then a few years later claimed and got 650.
doogal44

Post by doogal44 »

I can speak from experience having written off the same fiesta twice and been paid out for it twice after buying it back from the insurance company.
It wasn't harder to insure or more expensive. Car cost 1000 to buy got 800 from the first claim and brought it back for £75 then a few years later claimed and got 650.
Nails

Post by Nails »

Yeahs its bull xxxx. Was happens is you get a reduced figure as a category car is worth less to start with. Some where around the 20% mark.
I'd only ever buy a cheap cat car then you dont have much to loose.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Nails wrote:Yeahs its bull xxxx. Was happens is you get a reduced figure as a category car is worth less to start with. Some where around the 20% mark.
I'd only ever buy a cheap cat car then you dont have much to loose.

certainly wouldn't be spending £4400 on a Cat C!!!
aussieGT

Post by aussieGT »

aussieGT wrote:
QUOC2008 wrote:Any car with a catergory A,B,C,D means the car will not paid out on a claim for repairs or if you write off your car... only cover the other car or party for damages. I would not touch it

If thats correct, that would be the most informative thing i've heard you say on this forum

doogal44 wrote:I can speak from experience having written off the same fiesta twice and been paid out for it twice after buying it back from the insurance company

Nails wrote:Yeahs its bull xxxx. Was happens is you get a reduced figure as a category car is worth less to start with. Some where around the 20% mark.

Ok, its just another one of your posts.
Jam

Post by Jam »

QUOC2008 wrote:Any car with a catergory A,B,C,D means the insurance company will not paid out on a claim for repairs or if you write off for your car... they will only cover the other car or party for damages. I would not touch it

My Mini was listed as category D after an accident, yet the insurance company still paid to repair the damage. Did they make a mistake?
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

QUOC2008 wrote:Any car with a catergory A,B,C,D means the insurance company will not paid out on a claim for repairs or if you write off for your car... they will only cover the other car or party for damages. I would not touch it

Well, a Cat A / B wouldn't be back on the road anyway. The difference between Cat C and Cat D is purely economic - generally Cat C = repair costs exceed value of the vehicle. Cat D usually means the repair costs are a high % of the value of the car, and once other costs are taken into account it is uneconomical to repair it.

A Cat D can go back on the road straight away as long as it's road worthy (your insurer may want a new MOT done to continue insuring it). A Cat C needs a VIC check before it can go back on the road.

As others have said, it makes no difference to comprehensive insurance cover - the car is just valued accordingly.
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

Doesn't CAT D mean cosmetic damage that the insurance company deemed too costly to repair and CAT C means structural damage that requires a VIC test after repair?

I might be wrong but doesn't CAT A mean no parts are allowed to be reused and CAT B means that parts from the damaged car can be used again?
No 2 :(
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

From here: http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/tips-and-advi ... -need-know

"Category C: Cat C cars can be put back on the road, but the cost of the repair work will be more than the value of the car. Once the work is complete the car must be subject to a Vehicle Identity Check (VIC), although this only aims to ascertain that the car is legal.

Category D: Cat D cars will have sustained damage that will cost less than the value of the car to repair. Once the vehicle has been repaired, it is not subject to a Vehicle Identity Check."

And here: http://www.rac.co.uk/community/blog/rac ... write-off/

"Category C: the vehicle is repairable but the costs exceed the vehicle’s value. Can re-appear on road.

Category D: the vehicle is repairable but repair costs are significant compared to the vehicle value – including time delays to source parts. Can re-appear on road."

I have read that Cat B's can go back on the road if you can make them road worthy and pass a VIC check. No idea how much truth is in that though.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”