Does this look normal

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SuperRedMR2

Does this look normal

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

This is the state of the timing belt cog which finally came off on Wednesday night.

Sadly I damaged the front main whilst it's removal so that'll have to be replaced.

However, aside from the outer lip damage due to the way it came off, there appears to be some indents all the way around its circumference.

Are these meant to be here or have they been created whilst in use?

I did have a clattering noise at low RPM like something was rubbing on something - It was put down to low oil pressure with my new bearings but if something was rubbing against this cog it'd make the same sorts of noises...

Any ideas
SySanguinary
IMOC Committee

Re: Does this look normal

Post by SySanguinary »

Interesting. They certainly aren't supposed to be there, but I can't see what would have caused the damage in the immediate vicinity. That damage will reduce the belt life fairly quickly, so the fact you need to change it anyway is a good thing.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

A bolt dropped out of the cambelt covers when I started taking it all apart.

A bolt that had no need to be there. It was fairly mangled through heat and damage too.

The belt snapped/shredded after 1300 miles.
SySanguinary
IMOC Committee

Post by SySanguinary »

SuperRedMR2 wrote:A bolt dropped out of the cambelt covers when I started taking it all apart.

A bolt that had no need to be there. It was fairly mangled through heat and damage too.

The belt snapped/shredded after 1300 miles.

I think you've just worked it out yourself. :thumleft:
boondougal

Post by boondougal »

Doesn't fix it back how it was but i certainly think you have found the route cause of your problem.

Which is a positive thing!
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

But I originally though the noise was caused by bearing tolerances - this could have been this noise do you not think?

I had low oil pressure readings on the dash gauge, but that could be down to the sensor on the back of the block.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”