[Mk2] [Turbo] Strange engine/turbo noise? (video)

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Strange engine/turbo noise? (video)

Post by Ryan S »

video works fine on a laptop mate, I watched it on a laptop :thumleft:

It's a bit of a hassle to change that gasket, nothing a competent mechanic shouldn't be able to handle though, Just tricky accessing it all due to the Mr2s layout :thumleft:
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

it is a pain

downpipe, turbo and manifold out.
means draining coolant also.

a stud or 2 my snap on the head, prey none do!
use alot of wd40 and be gentle undoing them.

replace where needed with new studs and nuts.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

sheppy wrote:video works fine on a laptop mate, I watched it on a laptop :thumleft:

It's a bit of a hassle to change that gasket, nothing a competent mechanic shouldn't be able to handle though, Just tricky accessing it all due to the Mr2s layout :thumleft:

I just get "video corrupt" like to think i colud help better if i could hear it .

And yeah .. gasket swop you could do your self .. i would talk you through it ... even did a tread on turbo swapping .
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

jimGTS wrote:it is a pain

downpipe, turbo and manifold out.
means draining coolant also.

a stud or 2 my snap on the head, prey none do!
use alot of wd40 and be gentle undoing them.

replace where needed with new studs and nuts.

can this not be done without removing the manifold?? maybe from the bottom? exhaust off (or out the way) downpipe off, turbo off?? Just thinking out loud really, been a while since I've even looked at an mr2 engine bay which is nice (and unusual) :lol:
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

sorry i thought we was talking mani-head gasket.

reread the first post and says mani-turbo.

still requires almost the same level of work though to be honest.

yes you can remove the turbo off the manifold along with the downpipe.
to be honest, those 4 bolts on the mani-turbo are a PITA to remove. need a good 6 sided spanner, do not attempt with a generic 12sided, otherwise youll round those bolts up.

some find it alot easier to just remove the turbo attached to the manifold.
depends how well it does.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

I'd be very much inclined to leave the manifold on, as Jim said in his other post a snapped stud in the head is a total pain in the backside, Would maybe be worth applying some heat to the bolts before even attempting to remove them :thumleft:
2mad

Post by 2mad »

My way you leave the turbo where it is (balancing on the turbos metal oil feed/ return).. remove the manifold .. fit new gaskets ... and refit .. done this 6 times swopping turbos .. trust me with a bit of fetterling it works . my turbo swap thread seems to be deleted .. shame lots of how to pics .. bad imoc :cry:
2mad

Post by 2mad »

You may have to jump under the car and loosen the 2 nuts holding the turbo the the oil feed/return line .. damn you imoc deleting my how to thread :lol:
sticks

Post by sticks »

Right small update to this....

Was absolutely p1$$ing raining today so didn't get to do much but i recorded 2 slightly longer videos.Top 2 links should work with mobiles.
bottom 2 should work on a laptop.you can hear the sound i'm talking about clear in the video when i'm on boost.

http://vid422.photobucket.com/albums/pp ... 3mnh37.mp4

http://vid422.photobucket.com/albums/pp ... g4juku.mp4

http://s422.photobucket.com/user/mortyg ... sort=3&o=0

http://s422.photobucket.com/user/mortyg ... sort=3&o=1

also i got the impression a boost leak test would be simple enough like an exhaust leak test the way a few of ye were saying to do one but i don't think i'm capable of doing it myself especially seeing as i don't have the tool to test it so i'm gonna have to find someone to do it and report back then.might take me a week or two.
sticks

Post by sticks »

Hopefully now everyone can see the vids coz it's not working for me and a few others but good that some of ye can see them :D

seems like it may be even a bit complex for my mechanic.so im hoping i can find someone down my way that can do it i've the gasket ordered anyway so ill try sort that as soon as possible.

@2mad cheers for the offer but i don't think i'd trust myself to do it :mrgreen: your way of doing it does sound good tho so i might suggest that to the mechanic and see what he says.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

I listened very closely (my dj headphones) never heard that sound before (bit like a subaru sound) .. must admit i dont know .. sorry . its like its missing a cylinder .
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Very strange .. it like flutter , flutter , flutter .. chagne gear .. pish .. very odd.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

manifold to turbo gasket, I'm almost certain, also it looks like you're still making boost which was the case with mine, If you leave it to deteriorate it will eventually start to scream it's head off :thumleft:
sticks

Post by sticks »

@2mad-Ya it's strange i've never heard anything like it myself.but it's definitely not missing a cylinder it still pulls fairly well and smoothly but with that sound on boost.

@sheppy-really hope your right mate :thumleft:
will get it sorted as soon as possible anyway!Ya it's still making boost grand but only up to.5 bar.just gonna stay off boost now tho till it's sorted.it wont be doing any screaming anyway i'm driving it like a granny for the mean time :mrgreen: did you loose some boost when it happened to yours?
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Yeah you've got me , never heard a car flutter while accelerating .. very odd .. wish i could help.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

sticks wrote:@2mad-Ya it's strange i've never heard anything like it myself.but it's definitely not missing a cylinder it still pulls fairly well and smoothly but with that sound on boost.

will get it sorted as soon as possible anyway!Ya it's still making boost grand but only up to.5 bar.just gonna stay off boost now tho till it's sorted.it wont be doing any screaming anyway i'm driving it like a granny for the mean time :mrgreen: did you loose some boost when it happened to yours?

not according to the boost gauge but you could clearly hear the exhaust gasses escaping before going into the turbo, I'm almost certain that's your problem man :thumleft:
sticks

Post by sticks »

sheppy wrote:
sticks wrote:@2mad-Ya it's strange i've never heard anything like it myself.but it's definitely not missing a cylinder it still pulls fairly well and smoothly but with that sound on boost.

not according to the boost gauge but you could clearly hear the exhaust gasses escaping before going into the turbo, I'm almost certain that's your problem man :thumleft:

Ok.coz mine is definitely down on boost the gauge is showing its just over .5 bar but i'll see when the gaskets done if it helps it.could be seperate issue like something with the actuator or something as i had that happen on my old tubby.

Anyqay cheers for all the help guys it's really appreciated..i've one or two other small issues with it at the moment like the trc light flickering on sometimes but i've read thats common and it's working fine so i'm not really bothered about that.i drive with it off anyway.and some dodgy wiring i suspect as the alarm seems to bleep at random and the headunit is saying to check wiring and the electric mirrors aren't working.but i'll take things one thing at at time and try to sort this boost/gasket issue first.will get up some pics of it as soon as the weather clears up too :thumleft:

Return to “Mechanical”