[Mk2] [NA] Squeal, Smoke, Melted rubber and bad times :(

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Mikey637

[Mk2] [NA] Squeal, Smoke, Melted rubber and bad times :(

Post by Mikey637 »

So, I've been off work and out the car for a week due to back problems (I got given a load of codeine though so not too bad :P)

Thought I'd be proactive today and start weening myself off the pills in time for a spirited drive tonight to give the car a good run. Before I did this I 'fixed' the wobbly gear lever (Plastic sleeving over the spring trick) and was looking forward to having a hoon.

Anyway, on topic. I started the car to a load of squeling, alternators been doing this for a while on cold starts when it's damp so didn't think much of it and brought the revs up to about 1500rpm which normally cures it.

A few seconds later I see plumes of smoke and instantly turn the car off and open the engine bay. Still smoking and obviously still liquid I could see some of the remains of the old belt dropping off the pulley, the rest is nowhere to be seen which worries me - Especially as the engine struggled a little before I turned it off. I also noticed the cambelt was warm and slightly sticky.

So. I tried to turn the alternator by hand and it's stuck solid. Half the belt is missing and the engine struggled. Am I right in thinking the belt could be wrapped around the cam pulley and possibly the cam pulley itself is damaged?

Sorry for the long story, back started hurting again so I'm all dosed up :thumleft:

Cheers for any help guys.
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Squeal, Smoke, Melted rubber and bad times :(

Post by Peter Gidden »

Seized alternator. Needs changing.
Mikey637

Post by Mikey637 »

That's a no brainer but thanks for the input. I'm worried about other damage that might have occurred considering the struggling engine and warm/sticky cambelt.

Sod's law, my last big spend on the car before next year was going to happen in the next 2/3weeks - alternator, polybushed, clutch and 4x new brake calipers. If it had only have lasted a few more weeks ](*,)
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

Mikey637 wrote:I'm worried about other damage that might have occurred considering the struggling engine and warm/sticky cambelt.

I doubt very much there's any damage.
Mikey637

Post by Mikey637 »

New problem, I've been recommended by JDmodified (I know they're useless) that It'll be a round plug alternator, I know this is wrong because that's a Rev1 item. I've got a picture that looks like an oval/oblong but the live feed off of it it situated almost imediately below and all the alternators I can find have it on top, infact in the pictures online it almost looks like a sparkplug poking out the top of the alternator.

Can anyone help me identify which one I'd need? 70/80/90a? Uk spec Rev5 mk2 1999.

Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

You need an oval plug N/A MR2 alternator. Simples.
Mikey637

Post by Mikey637 »

So output doesn't matter? It only does 5miles each way when commuting along with a good hoon once a week, would I be better off going for the 80/90amp to make sure the battery gets a good ol' charge on the shorter journeys? Especially with winter approaching so lights on, heaters etc + my 300rms sub
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

Mikey637 wrote:So output doesn't matter?

Not within the choices you have.

The MR2 never had a 70A alternator fitted.
Mikey637

Post by Mikey637 »

Cheers Peter :thumleft: It was when I was looking at pictures of alternators on google trying to work out which one I needed a few of them were listed as 70a, no wonder they looked nothing like the MR2 alternator :whistle:

Return to “Mechanical”