Cheaper alternative to AD08?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Marmalade

Re: Cheaper alternative to AD08?

Post by Marmalade »

Eagle F1's are fine f you never take your car on track, but they overheat very quickly on trackdays.

I run Kumho V70's (Hard) on my trackcar, decent even in the wet and have lasted all year, will put on another set for next years trackdays.
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

shinny wrote:I'm a little surprised people are touting the discontinuned T1Rs as a substitute for AD08s... they're in different leagues!

pistol pete wrote:I want these.. but tring to find track tyres in mr2 sizes is very hard..
r888 s

Im after track tyre (no road use) in 205 16s, 225 16s

Track tyres are tricky to find one model that will do both front and back. But I'd be tempted to go 205/45/16 front and back with the Nankangs... or I was while I thought they were £60 from Camskill... when I realised that was the 205/55/16 price, and the 45 profile was £100 a corner, I was a little disappointed.

gotta keep the stagger really..
Its competative use so need as much grip as i can get...
shinny

Post by shinny »

pistol pete wrote:gotta keep the stagger really..

Fair enough.

Personally I wouldn't be too bothered by lack or stagger for occasional-use track day tyres because the compound will give you far more grip than any properly staggered road tyre setup. I can see you taking it all more seriously if you're talking about competition.
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Wouldnt it be a bit rubbish due to stretching a narrower tyre over the wider rear wheels. Maybe if you had non staggered wheels but a slightly lower offset rear that would be ok.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

shinny wrote:
pistol pete wrote:gotta keep the stagger really..

Fair enough.

Personally I wouldn't be too bothered by lack or stagger for occasional-use track day tyres because the compound will give you far more grip than any properly staggered road tyre setup. I can see you taking it all more seriously if you're talking about competition.

Isn't it more to do with relative grip front to rear than absolute grip, so it's more of a balance thing? So even with sticky TD tyres, you're best off keeping a stagger?
shinny

Post by shinny »

Bear in mind my comments were in the context of a "cheaper alternative to AD08" (AD08 being a sticky fastroad / track tyre), not "what's the best track tyre setup". A cheap non-staggered set of track tyres will still easily out-perform a set of staggered normal road tyres. What I am NOT saying is "stagger is useless", so keep your collective, metaphorical hats on!

Gazza_DJ wrote:Isn't it more to do with relative grip front to rear than absolute grip, so it's more of a balance thing? So even with sticky TD tyres, you're best off keeping a stagger?

That assumes that tyre width equals grip... compound and pressure are more important IMHO. Oh, and we can get into damper and ARB settings too, if your car is equipped to change those (mine is).

Yes, the stagger will be there for a reason, but for the occasional bit of track time, the vastly superior grip of track rubber compared to road tyres negates a minor shift in balance due to the loss of stagger. If you use sticky rubber on the public road and regularly start exceeding the limits of grip so that you care about the balance between the axles then you deserve to have your license taken away!

Of course competition is a different matter...
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

Anyone know if AD08's are close to the width stated? I had experience of tyres in the past bulging where another brand tyre of the same width would be slightly stretched on the same wheel :roll:

Just want to be sure 205 and 225 will be ideal for my TE37's before spending £470 :lol:
2mad

Post by 2mad »

afennell wrote:I fitted Eagle F1s on the rear, they are better than the old T1r's i used to run, especially in the wet.

I liked t1r's in the wet till the day I didnt :oops: that was the end of my car :(

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”