How much more is a T-bar worth?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

dazzz

Re: How much more is a T-bar worth?

Post by dazzz »

laze wrote:I always thought the tin top was considerably rarer?

Correct, they are.

Can you guess why?
2mad

Post by 2mad »

dazzz wrote:
Danbob wrote:

I've got a t-bar, and I'm going to delete it. But I also don't want to ruin the resale value of my car (although I have no plans to ever sell it)

Cheers
Dan

It won't have a resale value as a classic example.

If you're gonna build a track car, go for it, build it properly and it'll be worth something as a track car if it's a good one.

If you scrimp on the parts for a track car, guess what, it'll be a xxxx track car and not worth anything. A 2nd hand roll age is worth x amount. It'll still be worth x amount in 5 years time, maybe more.

Forget about resale, just enjoy the car. Rag it hard, win the races.

Totally agree with this ^^ buy a role-cage and enjoy your racing :D

Heres someone who didn't buy a rolecage http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmfzl3KvqD8 don't be like them :pale:
dazzz

Post by dazzz »

http://youtu.be/irLUgThKTIg

Where's you're kill switch?
Danbob

Post by Danbob »

2mad wrote:
dazzz wrote:
Danbob wrote:

I've got a t-bar, and I'm going to delete it. But I also don't want to ruin the resale value of my car (although I have no plans to ever sell it)

Cheers
Dan

It won't have a resale value as a classic example.

If you're gonna build a track car, go for it, build it properly and it'll be worth something as a track car if it's a good one.

If you scrimp on the parts for a track car, guess what, it'll be a xxxx track car and not worth anything. A 2nd hand roll age is worth x amount. It'll still be worth x amount in 5 years time, maybe more.

Totally agree with this ^^ buy a role-cage and enjoy your racing :D

Heres someone who didn't buy a rolecage http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmfzl3KvqD8 don't be like them :pale:

I agree with most of this, but many people spend huge amounts of money on expensive parts and end up with a crap track car. - The key is to spend money where it is most effective and get as much seat time in the car as possible (I've been driving other cars while my 2 has been out of action) - I also find that patience and waiting for a 2nd hand bargain works well.

Regarding the roll cage, I probably will end up fitting one in the future as/if things get more serious, but right now it's not the most cost effective next step for me.

Regarding the video, stage rallying is a million miles away from sprinting in terms of risk of rolling/hitting trees, Sprinting in my opinion is the safest form of motorsport

Dazzz wrote:http://youtu.be/irLUgThKTIg

Where's you're kill switch?

Are you asking me?
My kill switch is the ignition switch - All that is required for MSA and TSS is to have a clearly marked sticker next to the ignition switch

Also regarding that video, again hill climbing, or road racing or whatever it is he's doing is all more dangerous than sprinting. If I was planning on doing that I think a cage would be much higher up my priority list.

The car will continue to evolve, one day it'll probably be caged, but even if it's caged the t45 bars weigh less than the T-Bar locking mechanisms and serve a structural purpose, so it's still worthwhile fitting them.

Dazzz wrote:

This sums it up perfectly and is exactly what I'm going to do :thumleft:

Cheers
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Danbob wrote:The key is to spend money where it is most effective and get as much seat time in the car as possible . I also find that patience and waiting for a 2nd hand bargain works well.

Absolutely, My car was pretty much built from parts other people didnt want :D and I loved it :mrgreen:

Kev.
Danbob

Post by Danbob »

Yeah - It's amazing how much the value can drop from new to 500 miles old - and most of the time the parts are just as good as they were!

Think the only new part on my car is the harness and the steering wheel and they were Christmas presents :D

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”