alternator/battery failure now won't start?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

willay88

alternator/battery failure now won't start?

Post by willay88 »

Hi, hope someone can help. 2.0 na mk2, I was driving and the battery light, oil light and the red engine which looks like a fan came on. Parked up went to start and just starter solenoid was clicking. Left for 10 mins and battery must have recovered just enough to start it, drove 2 mins and dumped it on my parents drive. Been on a trickle charger over night, went to start it today to do a bit of investigating and it now won't start. Got a spark at all 4 plugs and smells like the fuel pump is running. Is there a way to audibly check the pump? And bmw other suggestions welcomed!

Apologies for the state of the message, all done in a hurry on my phone.

Will
gavsdavs

Re: alternator/battery failure now won't start?

Post by gavsdavs »

Earthing straps okay ?
willay88

Post by willay88 »

Yeah, seem to be. Connected another battery with jump leads and it started so although the battery showed over 12v I think the alternator has failed and kippered the battery. Managed to get the alternator off this eve and going to get it checked out tomorrow.
willay88

Post by willay88 »

Managed to get the alternator off (not very fun), got it checked out and it was knackered. Got a new alternator and battery fitted this morning but now the coolant temp is showing no reading. Any ideas anybody?

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”