[Mk2] [Turbo] Twin Turbo/Twin Charging

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Twin charging/Twin Turboing is.....

A waste of time!
No votes
A waste of money!
No votes
A waste of time and money!
29%
Greeeatt!
21%
Interesting, but probably not worth it.
36%
Not possible.
No votes
A brilliant idea, and I can help you do it for cheap.
14%

Total votes: 14

Shmed

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Twin Turbo/Twin Charging

Post by Shmed »

I have a GT3076r 0.63 ar sat on my garage shelf. I only used it up to 1.2 bar on my old car, but found that I preferred the earlier spool. Would that be better than the 35r? I like the option of 550hp which I would lose with the gt30, but if I upped the boost on the gt30, I should get close to 500hp.

What are the new Borg Warner turbos like for comparison?
January 2014
..the only thing I can promise for sure is slow progress.

May 2015
just have this niggling thought that if I rip out the wiring, then the car will never get out of the garage again.

Still in the garage...
ashley

Post by ashley »

Take a look at the GTX range, or the HTA compressor wheel upgrades...you could get your GT35 upgraded to an HTA, that would give you better spool and more power...

I've heard really good things about the BW range as well, they are quite large and internally gated though, but now you get water cooling as an option with the ceramic ball bearing units they look a very attractive option 8)
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

I've been looking at the EFR range but can't work out if it's a waste of money?!
January 2014

May 2015
just have this niggling thought that if I rip out the wiring, then the car will never get out of the garage again.

Still in the garage...
ashley

Post by ashley »

Off the top of my head I can only think of two UK two's with them on, and neither have been fully mapped or pushed to their potential yet...so hard to say...

My guess is that once a few folk have started using them in anger on this side of the pond and proven the potential, we'll all be thinking of swapping :lol:
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

GTX30 at 2bar 👌

Problem solved 😊

Edit: stay clear of the EFR series... Seems a lot like overhype with a lot of potential to go Pete tong. That's why I walked away from them anyways. Each to their own though :)
'98 Rev5 Turbo (GEO 1S)

TOTB13 RWD 1/4mile 1st place
TOTB14 RWD 1/4mile 3rd place (Misfiring)
TOTB15 RWD 1/4mile 2nd place (HG Failure)
TOTB16 RWD 1/4mile 1st place
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

From delving a bit into the BW, I think you're right George. Also as they are significantly different in dimensions, they are not really a viable option.
January 2014

May 2015

Still in the garage...
Rosssco

Post by Rosssco »

There's a compound charged Lotus Exige that won its class in the UK Time Attack series last year IIRC.

It basically uses a Honda K20a engine / gearbox (heavily modified) with a Eaton M62 providing low rpm torque, and a large turbo GT35-something to provide ~600bhp and plenty torque. This is a track / race car remember.

Since you already have tubby running gear, and an S6 ECU, you might be better overall looking at a built Toyota V6. With some improved internal componets, these engines are capable of handling 500+ bhp.

A correctly sized turbo unit running off both (check JohnnyG's old set-up) cylinder banks, and all properly mapped, should provide a flexible engine without the complication of compound charging.

Return to “Modifications”