Where have all the Rev3(+) Turbos gone?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

muckyman

Where have all the Rev3(+) Turbos gone?

Post by muckyman »

So, I sold my last motor about a month ago and have been looking for a Rev3 Turbo since then. Virtually nothing is coming up for sale (even Rev 1 & 2s are thin on the ground but I'm specifically after a rev3)
Had a few emails from a member on here (Chris) about his maybe for sale but in the last few weeks he's gone off the radar, and my last PM to him is still waiting to be read.
How come the availability has suddenly dropped off?
I'm getting a bit tired of driving the uncomfortable track day car (MX-5) to and from work every day :-(
craig

Re: Where have all the Rev3(+) Turbos gone?

Post by craig »

Tin worm has taken a firm hold on the MK2 MR2s sills, and so a lot of them are being scrapped or broken for parts.

I looked for ages for a T bar to replace my tintop, and couldn't find anything worth buying.

As I had my complete tintop rev3 turbo, I ended up buying a T bar shell, and building a complete car from a bare shell! Thread here:

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=173618

Even that had a rather large hole in the sill, which was cut out and a piece of new sill welded in.

Best of luck with your search mate, although the ones worth having are all owned by enthusiasts etc. They are out there, but be prepared to shell out some cash making it mint.
danjama

Post by danjama »

Have you tried the several facebook groups?
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

If you didnt mind paying a bit more you could import one, which is what I would do if I didnt already have one. Less likely to be rotten then due to no road salt in japan.

Although it could be that less people are selling up and just enjoying their 2's in the good weather! :lol:
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

I wouldn't describe waiting nearly a month as a long time to find a decent mr2, lol.
Some look for months.

You've picked wrong time of year, everyone who has one is probably driving it in the sun!
muckyman

Post by muckyman »

jimGTS wrote:I wouldn't describe waiting nearly a month as a long time to find a decent mr2, lol.
Some look for months.

You've picked wrong time of year, everyone who has one is probably driving it in the sun!

Agreed, not a long time to wait for a decent one - but there's very few around, even crap ones.
I know, wrong time of year :-(
Hez

Post by Hez »

best thing to do is keep checking imoc, pistonheads, ebay and don't rush into it there is plenty around, took me 12 months of looking then 3 popped up at once got beaten to one then went to look at another on the off chance and turned out to be a very clean rev3.
As said before there seems to be a few companies importing at the moment and selling for 5k if your willing to stretch.
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

muckyman wrote:
jimGTS wrote:I wouldn't describe waiting nearly a month as a long time to find a decent mr2, lol.
Some look for months.

Agreed, not a long time to wait for a decent one - but there's very few around, even crap ones.
I know, wrong time of year :-(

Took me 4months to find a crapish one :roll:
That being said im seeing a few with mods cheaper than what i paid for my stock one just now, im guessing you are on a budget like i was??
Draven

Post by Draven »

:thumleft: I've got a solid one sat on my driveway.

But its staying there.
muckyman

Post by muckyman »

jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

its this guys, no idea why out the blue he's selling though given all the recent work and activity on the forums.

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=179860
Mr Bognor

Post by Mr Bognor »

Yes its me :)

new job so now my 20 mile trip is now 82 .

Was thinking i could still do this but fuel cost will be too much .

I might give it a try tho and see .

Alan

jimGTS wrote:its this guys, no idea why out the blue he's selling though given all the recent work and activity on the forums.

:)
muckyman

Post by muckyman »

Mr Bognor wrote:Yes its me :)

new job so now my 20 mile trip is now 82 .

Was thinking i could still do this but fuel cost will be too much .

I might give it a try tho and see .

...or you might sell it on Sunday Alan - its me thats coming to see it :-)
androo007

Post by androo007 »

I got mine about a month ago, and managed to find a garaged, stored rot free rev 3 that's done about 6k in 8 years or something. Very lucky, not been messed with, ruined or full of rot, but was hard to find.

Bar wanting to put a bov on I want to keep it completely and utterly standard - and spend my cash keeping it perfect instead.
tubby_tony

Post by tubby_tony »

I got mine just over 12 years ago and later than usual she is coming out the garage on Tuesday 1st July. I cant wait to drive her again, if only for 4 months, but as an owner I must admit that it is worth waiting for the right one and then pampering her for ever. (Treat your woman that way also and you will never have a problem. #-o . No! don't lock her in the garage).

There are not many good cars for sale because people are realising they are becoming classics and when you have owned one for 12 years it is very difficult to let her go. (Trust me, I tried a year ago and it ended in tears). I expect to spend a few £K on mine over the next year or 2 because parts age even though they don't get used. I dont think of that money as an expense, just as more years of enjoyment. My only regret, I should have got her out the garage a couple of months ago.

Be patient. The right car is worth the wait. Best of luck on your search mate.
muckyman

Post by muckyman »

still looking.....
mrturbotom

Post by mrturbotom »

I too found them scarce, bought a modified body kitted one that I'm going to make more stock, seems a good base
muckyman

Post by muckyman »

mrturbotom wrote:I too found them scarce, bought a modified body kitted one that I'm going to make more stock, seems a good base

I'm hoping not to have to go down a route like that, although it may be the only option if nothing turns up this summer.
Its frustrating to have the cash lying there but nothing to spend it on.
Maybe my perseverance will pay off in a while. Still scouring all the usual suspect sites several times a day....
Draven

Post by Draven »

muckyman wrote:
mrturbotom wrote:I too found them scarce, bought a modified body kitted one that I'm going to make more stock, seems a good base

I'm hoping not to have to go down a route like that, although it may be the only option if nothing turns up this summer.
Its frustrating to have the cash lying there but nothing to spend it on.
Maybe my perseverance will pay off in a while. Still scouring all the usual suspect sites several times a day....

Patience is your key here. Just need to keep looking i'm sure you'll find one.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Like this one alot .. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-MR2-GT ... 4182788c3d

But yeah, patience is key if your looking for a good unmolested example =P~ .

Kev.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”