Rev3 MR2 with custom bodywork & V6 swap

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

OwenK

Re: Rev3 MR2 with custom bodywork & V6 swap

Post by OwenK »

Well, just over a year later (almost to the day!), and here we finally are - just shot a couple of seconds of footage this evening:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlbJ0J0E45I

Interesting twists on the car in the last year. Put it on the dyno in Feb and the results were disappointing - it turned out to be THIRTY horsepower down from what it should be (at the wheels!). It had always felt swift low down but not earth-shattering at the top, but I had assumed that was just because it's not significantly more powerful than the original 3SGE. I finally got around to having Rogue look at it, and the poor buggers had the car for over two weeks trying to unearth the fault. After a full mechanical and electrical checkover with nothing apparently wrong, I came to pick the car back up again and that afternoon Patrick had been slaving away over the wiring one last time and found two obscure issues to do with incorrect wiring diagrams etc. Excitedly I took the car around the block and... nothing. No difference. Patrick had one last ace up his sleeve, and temporarily removed the air filter - and BAM, just like that it's a different car! The engine is more eager all the way through the range, it's stronger low down AND just keeps on pulling all the way to the redline. Feels like it's gained over 50hp, not just 30! You can feel the ACIS switchover much more strongly, and there's even now a nice rasp in the last 500rpm to encourage you to wring it all the way out... The difference was really night and day. Can't believe it's the same car I've been driving round in for the last year, the poor thing was just strangled! Rogue sorted me out a replacement filter which is much bigger and we threw it on the car earlier this week, I've been flat to the floor ever since \:D/

Upcoming plans include another Wales run - finally, after months of poverty. A RWYB drag for laughs in August, and then in the winter I'll hopefully be throwing the car into bodyshops and such again to kick off Phase III of the car, which may make me initially unpopular... hopefully I'll prove everyone wrong!
philmr2

Post by philmr2 »

Nice write up.... :thumleft:

Love this car like what you have done to it,sounds awesome in the video footage.
mattm117

Post by mattm117 »

I really like the rear tail lights and centre panel, how did you achieve that effect, is it a standard centre panel resprayed and the indicators tinted?
OwenK

Post by OwenK »

Thanks guys. Yes you're bang on with the rear lamps - black centre panel, tinted everything else except the red circles.

Return to “Member Profiles”