Window motor gearbox.

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

cogrog

Window motor gearbox.

Post by cogrog »

Hi anyone know if the motor gearbox assembly is the same for the passenger and drivers door.
My drivers door window goes down about half way and stops with a clonk then wont come back up unless you lift the the window glass.
I know the plastic gogs are a weak point but not sure this is the problem.
i am reluctant to pull the assembly out without some spares to hand and thought a passenger side assembly may be useful, as they do not get quite as much use. any thoughts.
feral4mr2

Re: Window motor gearbox.

Post by feral4mr2 »

I'm sure last time I had both sides out together they were different, but only because of the way they mount each side. even a different colour tape on the wiring harness.
I've only ever seen the cog on the motor fail, they are reasonably easy to change. just a bit fiddly 1st time round. a pair of small vice grips are your friend.
cogrog

Post by cogrog »

I think you are right they are possibly handed, so with that in mind i have just bought a new cog off Peter Giddings.
I'll see how it goes when it arrives. Hopefully it will fix it.
feral4mr2

Post by feral4mr2 »

1st time I did it I pulled the whole lot from the door. now days I just remove the motor.

hope you fix it, is a PIA the clunkity clunk window!
mario308

Post by mario308 »

I hope you have better luck than I did when doing it. I had some difficulty in getting a screw driver on to the 3 screws holding the motor to the door frame. I ended up in cutting some small access holes in the door skin so a decent tool could line up with them and eventually replaced the 3 original screws with 3 nice new Allen bolts.
On my car the plastic cog wheel was stripped of a few teeth and had the same clonk- clonk symptoms you describe. I had to put the whole assembly in a vice to squeeze the new cog on to the gear wheel – now as good as new.

Cheers,
Mario
feral4mr2

Post by feral4mr2 »

mario308

Post by mario308 »

No I didn't need one of those tools.

Just a good quality cross head / Phillips drive, some plusgas to loosen up 26 years worth of metal on metal corrosion etc and a dremel type tool to open up some small holes in the inner door skin. I found you just couldn't get the torque on to the 3 screws of the motor assembly with the unit suspended within the door and then holding it by hand.
ufer

Power motor gear

Post by ufer »

I've got 2 gears for the both doors from Peter Gidden but I changed only my drivers door gear (left door in continental Europe). Both gears are the same but I think they have an universal construction and that should be not a problem for the both doors. There was a little difference only at the original gear from the inner side and I suppose only the original gears are different for the left and right doors. You should ask better Peter. Meanwhile I got out only the motor and it was not very easy - for such small work one needs small hands and special bit - Torx for the 3 bolts. With this way of assembly I didn't need to regulate the window. It past perfect but I needed almost 3 hours - very jewellery job!!! ](*,)
cogrog

Post by cogrog »

Well the short answer is the cog fixed it :D
But not without hassle cog replaced but still jammed.
Cog removed had two teeth missing this allowed some slack in the cable which jumped the rollers plus the outer sleeve on the cable came out of its fixing ,so i removed the lot and re-assembled it all then refitted it result! dont ask how long it took #-o
mario308

Post by mario308 »

Here my old broken cog, 4 to 5 teeth missing.

Imagegear wheel by exigev6, on Flickr

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”