Idle Screw

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

James2593

Idle Screw

Post by James2593 »

When I got my '2 over a month ago there was no idle screw which caused the throttle to jam shut and the pedal would stick at the top. This was discovered to be the butterfly valve wedging itself against the throttle body because there was no screw to hold it open a little.

I've tried all sorts of screws with lock nuts and nothing stays in place, they all fall out. The engine vibrations must be rattling them out.

I'm going to try another bolt with thread lock tomorrow but i'm wondering if anyone has any ideas?

It's a UK Rev 3 NA.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Re: Idle Screw

Post by toxo »

From memory (this is going back a bit) they don't have an idle screw. They have an idle control valve underneath the throttle body which opens when the ECU detects an idle condition.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
James2593

Post by James2593 »

Hmm, mine does. It is a screw on the top of the throttle body that pushes the 'metal bit' that the throttle cable attaches to.

I don't have a pic but a quick google bring up this: thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/maMU749lZM1PCiPcnWuSSqw.jpg

It's the little bit towards the top left that's sticking out towards the top.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Yeah, but you're not supposed to use that to adjust idle speed. If you set that such that the butterfly never closes, the IDL switch in the throttle position sensor will never close and the ECU will never know you're idling. The ECU controls idle speed, not a screw.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
James2593

Post by James2593 »

It's not to adjust the idle speed, it idles fine on 800rpm with the throttle open a little. I need to use that screw to stop the butterfly closing completely as it jams closed.

(I know that's the exact same as what you just said, but it's got to be done as the throttle sticks closed if the butterfly closes completely.)

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”