[Mk2] [Turbo] Suspenion issues

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

basch32

[Mk2] [Turbo] Suspenion issues

Post by basch32 »

Hi guys

I am having a weird issue with my mr2 turbo rev 3 where if I am going around a corner to the left the weight seems to shift left to right during cornering and the settles. It never seems to effect grip but the unsettled feelings is concerning.

Have had it alligned to spec and has the following upgrades: whitline Arbs, TRD diff, coilovers, roll centre adjusters, uprated tension rods and tie end rods.

Any help greatly appreciated.

UPDATE:

Right so more symptoms I think, there is now a rocking from side to side while going at low speed 5mph so just coasting along in gear.

Also when sowing down at around 30mph to 20mph there is a groaning noise and a bit of a clunking noise (i think).

Does this all spell the doom of my diff? Its a TRD clutch type differential.

Regards
Baz
Last edited by basch32 on Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Marf

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Suspenion issues

Post by Marf »

Bushes perhaps?

Never heard of whiteline Arabs, is that a new product line? :wink:
basch32

Post by basch32 »

Haha oops stupid auto correct :oops:

All the bushing seem to be solid out were replaced by poly ones. Its confusing the hell out of me to the extent I am thinking of getting rid of said car!
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

Have you ever replaced the front lower ball joints?

Sounds like the issue I have just had/cured. All the steering felt fine and car tracked straight etc however if you accelerated whilst turning there was a chatter out of the suspension. Also, if the car wnt over anything bigger than a catseye there would be a bit of skittishness.
basch32

Post by basch32 »

Do you have a part number for these or a recommended brand might just replace all the ball joints and wheel bearings shouldn't be too expensive.
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

Front ball joint. Id try Toyota part# 43330-19025 as IIRC they arnt very expensive and come with a new locknut and split pin.

To replace jack up both sides of the front (to take pressure off the ARB) and after cleaning the rust off with a wire brush give a quick squirt of WD40 or similar to the locking nut on bottom plus the 2 bolt heads either side

Using a long arm on your socket gently "crack off" the nut and 2 bolts but dont undo fully

To seperate the ball joint the manual recommends a 'C' shaped ball joint remover which I tried at first

To make life easier put the nut on just enough to make a socket for the bal in the clamp otherwise it gies everywhere

Maybe because its not the most high quality of clamps but reverted to the other type of ball joint remover which before long gave the charaistic "crack" signifying the ball joint had come loose.

Once done undo the bolts either side then using a piece of wood as a lever the suspension down and just reach in and pull the joint out.

source of my problem :-(

Refitting is reversal of pulling apart pretty much. Use the piece of wood to lever it down to insert the joint. The bolts either side are 80Nm and the main nut 78Nm but if you have a proper Toyota one youll have to adjust the castle nut so the split pin fits thtough.

The other side (forgot to take photo) but gives the idea of when everything is back in place.

Hope this helps! :-)
basch32

Post by basch32 »

Have updated original thread with extra details... thanks
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

basch32 wrote:Hi guys

I am having a weird issue with my mr2 turbo rev 3 where if I am going around a corner to the left the weight seems to shift left to right during cornering and the settles. It never seems to effect grip but the unsettled feelings is concerning.

Have had it alligned to spec and has the following upgrades: whitline Arbs, TRD diff, coilovers, roll centre adjusters, uprated tension rods and tie end rods.

Any help greatly appreciated.

UPDATE:

Right so more symptoms I think, there is now a rocking from side to side while going at low speed 5mph so just coasting along in gear.

Also when sowing down at around 30mph to 20mph there is a groaning noise and a bit of a clunking noise (i think).

Does this all spell the doom of my diff? Its a TRD clutch type differential.

Regards
Baz

The TRD lock both wheels together, so you handling will not be good with too much understeer and lots of clonking of the drive shafts as the wheels are forced to slip at low speed.
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
basch32

Post by basch32 »

Thanks for the feedback, still not sure how this would cause the weird shaking on left hand turns.... :/

Return to “Mechanical”