MK2 NA Track Day Project and MK2 Turbo build

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Keljon

MK2 NA Track Day Project and MK2 Turbo build

Post by Keljon »

am going to start this thread to record what i am upto but updates will be irregular to say the least lol
Keljon

Re: MK2 NA Track Day Project and MK2 Turbo build

Post by Keljon »

ok so i have had performance cars nearly all of my adult life, passed test at 18 and started with an MG Metro (no sniggering at the back) followed by AX GT, 205 GTI, Renault 5 Turbo, 309 GTI, Astra GTE 16v, 200sx, MR2 Turbo, MG ZR160 then got a fireblade then back into a MG ZS180, followed by RX8, Merc Kompressor, 205 GTI6, Evo3 + some i have forgotten and then this which i swapped for the rx8

its a UK spec impreza 2000 turbo, late model so has the 4 pot brakes, better engine, revised interior etc. it had a bit of a dubious history but came with coilovers, braided hoses and the usual dump valve and noisy exhaust, i did loads of work getting it back to its former glory and went through a few different turbos, i started reading up on engine mapping and mapped this myself on the road with a power fc, datalogit and innovate lc1. with teh coilovers and a stiffer rear ARB from whiteline, it made a brilliant B road blaster
Last edited by Keljon on Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Keljon

Post by Keljon »

anyway i decided to return it to almost standard before the 150k mile engine went pop and sell the bits off and then the car as my daily 40 mile round trip commute was costing me a fortune in petrol, so i replaced it with this
Image[/img]

Renaultsport clio 197 cup
this thing is almost as fast xcountry as the tuned impreza believe it or not, amazing handling and a great daily drive as reasonable on fuel. usual xxxx renault build quality
Keljon

Post by Keljon »

ok so as usual i start browsing ebay for bargains and i find this for sale locally
Rev3 Tintop NA that has been used for hillclimbs, came with 6 wheels with trackday tyres and 2 spare tyres.

The sills are ropey (will patch them up for now) and it needs a gearbox which i have but still haven't fitted but will be fitting very soon as i want to get some trackday action this year. it has been recently serviced and has yellow bilsteins with lowering springs, new disks, pads and fluid, aftermarket air filter and exhaust, i have also removed the air con compresser, bought a seat and harness and started stripping the interior and anything else i can to save some weight
Last edited by Keljon on Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
craig

Post by craig »

That's a hell of a list of 1980's pocket rockets! 8)

That Clio and Scoob look smart.

MR2 looks a fun project.
Last edited by craig on Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keljon

Post by Keljon »

sorry updated the MR2 post now
Keljon

Post by Keljon »

anyway just before xmas, looking through gumtree i see a rev3 mr2 turbo for sale with a knackered turbo, i didnt really have the money TBH but i managed to get it at such a good price that it literally owes me nothing after sending the tax back and selling the genuine volks te37's and Gizmo boost controller fitted.
i stupidly havent taken any decent pics of it but this gives you an idea

so as it stands the turbo is knackered, suspension is knocking and it has yellow bilsteins on the back and black ones on the front, wiper linkage is worn, handbrake cables are seized, gearbox leaking and a half finished repair to the sill but its not all bad.
the engine has just been rebuilt, head rebuilt with brand new valves, LSD gearbox is good, braided hoses with decent disks and pads, raybrig headlights, uprated clutch, HKS filter, japspeed Exhaust, Toyosports Intercooler, poly bushes, engine lid fan, samco hoses and list goes on

anyway turns out its an imported NA with a Rev2 engine fitted

Image[/img]
Last edited by Keljon on Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keljon

Post by Keljon »

so at this point I'm thinking break it and make some money, i had just broken a genuine 500hp + classic impreza for a friend and a 205 GTI with GTI6 engine for myself.
but i managed to talk myself into keeping it, sorting out a few problems and perhaps turn into into a budget weekend b road and trackday weapon.

so i whip the turbo off and the exhaust wheel is missing, it has a turbo techics plaque stating its an s148, result nice Hybrid turbo so i send if off to turborebuild.co.uk with a quote for £300 ish

slight problem, after lots and lots of emails back and forth, turns out the CHRA has been replaced with a standard ct26 item, meaning ceramic turbine (explains why it was missing) so turborebuild.co.uk were really helpful but TurboTechnics dont publish specs of their turbos so while all this has been going on this comes up on eBay
Image[/img]
Greddy td0518g full kit for rev2 3sgte so had to have it, i rebuilt the turbo myself with new bearings and seals and turns out the actuator is knackered (always test them before fitting now) so negotiate some money off with the seller and order a new actuator from ebay.
Actuator turns up and its the wrong one so waiting on correct bracket to be sent over from China
have also ordered a 1.5 bar spring (1 bar fitted)
Keljon

Post by Keljon »

and that almost brings me up to date, been lurking round the forums buying parts of various people and have the following stock piled for the turbo

Link G1 v14 with 3sgte adaptor loom for Rev1 (now re-pinned for Rev2)
IAT sensor with adaptor
Boost solenoid
Bored Fuel Rail
Supra 550 injectors (sent for cleaning and testing)
Aftermarket FPR
Catch tank (cheap ebay Greddy copy filled with wire scouring pads, although going to keep a careful eye on these in case they break up)
Yellow bilsteins for the front
GT4 chargecooler core and pump
Forge Dump valve
Innovate LC1 wide band
Buddy club single exit exhaust (no silencers so will look to fit some for trackdays)
Wiper motor and linkage
Carbon bonnet (bit of an impulse purchase but it was brand new never fitted and cheap plus the original one weighs a lot)
Last edited by Keljon on Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Keljon

Post by Keljon »

so will be self tuning on the road again but am thinking i might buy some rolling road time to do the ignition map properly at some point,

I'm on stock pistons but have ARP rod bolts and metal head gasket and all new bearings, rings etc. Td0518g looks to be an ideal fast road turbo for a 2l and the Link ECU has loads of features which i am looking forward to playing with, hope the chargecooler is up to the job and i plan to bump the base fuel pressure up a bit so i can get the most from my injectors.

Hopefully get it all setup and tuned this summer but doubt it will be driven much as have the white car for track days and wanted to start off with something that has more grip than power. Blue car has some rust so that will likely be my winter project before its driven in anger next year.
Keljon

Post by Keljon »

picked this up for the NA track day warrior
Keljon

Post by Keljon »

fitted my carbon bonnet
3 bar map sensor fitted
catch tank fitted
team dynamics rims on with trackday rubber
linkplus it almost finished
turbo and oil lines, downpipe etc fitted
IAT sensor fitted
engine was recently rebuilt so nice to see it all looks good in here
had some red crackle paint from a previous project so sprayed up the cam cover
Last edited by Keljon on Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keljon

Post by Keljon »

found some pics of my old mr2 turbo

Return to “Member Profiles”