Drop link removal and other MOT fun and games.

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Red Wedge

Drop link removal and other MOT fun and games.

Post by Red Wedge »

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been discussed before but a search didn't turn up much that was useful.

Anyway, it failed it's MOT on 2 drop links so I thought it best to just replace all four along with the ARB bushes.

The problem is I am having a hard time getting the top nuts undone on the front ones as it is very difficult to get any purchase on the allen key to stop the locknut from spinning.

I am losing patience and wondered if anyone had any top tips?

Otherwise I will persevere, no matter how frustrating it is.

On a separate subject, another MOT failure point was 'Parking brake lever has no reserve travel'

Is this as simple as it sounds? I can't understand as the handbrake is solid and doesn't have to be levered right back to get it to stay on.

What do the testers want from me?!?
Tedtiler

Re: Drop link removal and other MOT fun and games.

Post by Tedtiler »

No reserve travel. Tester had to pull it right back to achieve a pass. Adjust cable mechanism and/or Check calipers and grease sliders if needed. Check smooth operation of handbrake cables themselves too. Usually calipers tho.

Some drop links unfortunately require the grinder but see if you can get the inside of the bolt part held in place with a spanner or slim vice grips before you resort to cutting as you may damage the end of the anti roll bar.
Red Wedge

Post by Red Wedge »

That's the thing with the handbrake, it doesn't need to be pulled all the way to the extent of its travel to work. Might just need a minor adjustment as I recently changed the rear calipers.

As for the drop links, it's the top nut that is giving me problems so no danger of damaging the roll bar itself but I could damage the mounting bracket on the shock if not careful.
Tedtiler

Post by Tedtiler »

If the bottom one is easier then take the shock off. Will affect your alignment settings though.
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

To be honest, droplinks can be bought for around £10 a pair on ebay if you happy to change them fairly frequently. If so, then grind off the old ones and fit them.

Once you got no grip with the allen key you are pretty much stuffed unless you want to spend ALOT of time getting them sorted.
I am going to live forever, or die trying!
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Some droplinks come with an area infront of the rubber boot which you can hold with a spanner instead of the allen key.

Or failing that, just hold any meat that you can in this area with some mole grips while you undo the nut.

I found this on the fiesta drop links I bought.
Red Wedge

Post by Red Wedge »

Did as suggested and dropped the shock from its top mount then ground/cut the nut off.

Now I need to replace the wing and sill on one side, I found this site: http://www.mr2mk1sills.co.uk/

Has anyone used them before?
jimzzr

Post by jimzzr »

Tiamat wrote:To be honest, droplinks can be bought for around £10 a pair on ebay if you happy to change them fairly frequently. If so, then grind off the old ones and fit them.

Once you got no grip with the allen key you are pretty much stuffed unless you want to spend ALOT of time getting them sorted.

Some drop links on ebay have a clear pvc? dust boot and more importantly in my case were 15mm too long and would foul at full suspension travel.

Seller was uncommunicative, but I somehow managed to simulatneously get the credit card transaction refunded and a payment from the ebay resolution centre (not a refund from the seller). If anyone wants a slightly too long drop link I've still got it somewhere.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”