Car feels strange after new subframe ( pic if geometry results added)

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

glen n

Car feels strange after new subframe ( pic if geometry results added)

Post by glen n »

I recently replaced the rear subframe on my car,while I was at it I replaced the control arms and arb bushes. Up front I replaced the outer tie rods and arb for a trd one. I had the car in for geometry setup which couldn't be completed due to the inner front tie rods having damaged threads. The guy said there's only very minor adjustments needing done but the car feels all over the place at times,the back end seems to snake about,and almost feels like the back of the car is steering at times. That coupled with shaking steering wheel at 70mph makes me think that it's more than just minor adjustments needing done.

In the last year or so I've replaced

All top mounts
Fitted yellow billies
Drop links
Front ball joints
Front arb and bushes
Front outer tie rods
Rear arb bushed
Replaced subframe
Rear control arms
Fitted tein springs
New wheels and had them balanced

Has anyone had a similar experience? The car is going in for the inner tie rods on Monday and geo setup again so want to make sure it's sorted this time
Last edited by glen n on Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aussieGT

Re: Car feels strange after new subframe ( pic if geometry results added)

Post by aussieGT »

Check that your rear control arms are attached properly. One of mine was ready to fall out, gave a very unnerving (and dangerous) drive.

heres a us thread discussing similar problems.

http://www.mr2.com/forums/threads/64063 ... post933343
glen n

Post by glen n »

When the guy was attempting to sort the geometry we had a check over everything,one bolt that attatches the control arm to the subframe took a turn to tighten it fully. I'm sure I checked everything while swapping the subframe but it also may have come loose. That's tightened up and still getting the same feel from the car. It does feel as described in the link though.
aussieGT

Post by aussieGT »

Jack it up so the rears are free before you try the control arm bolts - the fist mech that looked over my car to find the problem totally missed the loose bolt as he raised it on a four post lift.

With the rear wheels in the air you should be able to see if thats the drama pretty quick.
glen n

Post by glen n »

I checked the control arms and all seems fine,there's movement on the bearings but not what I'd say was excessive and these arms are far newer the ones I just removed.
al/c

Post by al/c »

check you haven,t lost any wheel weights as that can cause problems
glen n

Post by glen n »

I had the wheels balanced recently to try to eliminate the wobble,I'll have them checked again when it goes back for geometry on Thursday
Rob

Post by Rob »

I've got similar issues and have also bought a replacement sub frame as I'm hoping it's the captive nut in the sub frame for the control arms that's come loose...
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

You see the bearing on the end of the long arm on this sw20 hub....

They wear and start to move under stress. Not necessarily obvious when checking with a bar etc but under road driving loads they move. They have to be pressed out and new one pressed in... or new hub. It might be this causing your problem.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”