[Mk2] [NA] Sensible aftermarket exhaust...

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

TheLepresean

[Mk2] [NA] Sensible aftermarket exhaust...

Post by TheLepresean »

Whilst I'm aware that this is a thread topic that has come up time and again (there's one on this very page pertaining to a similar question for tubbies), I have a few of questions...

Firstly, I've always liked the fact the turbo exhausts have the two back boxes, and the only NA exhaust I'm aware of that has a similar thing is the Japspeed, an exhaust system that appears to be only appropriate if you are either already deaf or simply don't care about your hearing. My question is, are there any quieter double box exhausts for the NA, or is it possible to get some kind removable baffle so when I'm on the motorway or whatever I don't give myself a haemorrhage?

Secondly, failing the double box idea... which exhaust is best/most sensible for an NA? My old Rev4 had a slash cut Mongoose, an exhaust I'm given to believe is the most sensible of the aftermarket exhausts, and even that was a bit drone-y on the motorway. I currently have the stock exhaust on my Rev5 and want something that will be lovely and burbly around town, epic on WOT, but controlled at motorway speeds so I can actually hear my music/the other half...

Finally, getting an exhaust fabricated at an exhaust shop is my final resort... how expensive is this likely to get? I realise to fully comply with my above criteria, all kinds of butterfly valves and bypasses etc etc could be used, things I presume would make the price go sky high... but how much is it likely to cost to have someone make a quieter version of a Japspeed style exhaust?

Many thanks!
Nic

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Sensible aftermarket exhaust...

Post by Nic »

Getting an exhaust custom fabricated would give you what you want. It would probably work out cheaper if they had an existing exhaust to work from, perhaps get hold of a cheap 2nd hand Japspeed exhaust, then sell it on afterwards.

Another option would be to get an exhaust fabricator to modify the Japspeed exhaust, it may be possible to open the silencers and get them packed out so they are quieter. Saying that the Japspeed silencers are quite small so probably wouldn't make a big difference.

Alternatively the fabricator could cut out the 2 silencers and weld in bigger oval ones (similar to the Berk ones pictured) this should help noticeably reduce the noise levels.

Japspeed Exhaust

Berk Technology Exhaust
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
TheLepresean

Post by TheLepresean »

Thank you Nic, do Berk do an exhaust for NAs? I've seen them recommended in similar threads to this one for tubbies, but never for an NA? Would it be quieter than a Japspeed then with those bigger silencers?

Also, how much do you reckon that kind of work would cost at a fabricators? The modification to an existing Japspeed/the construction of a similar system?
Nic

Post by Nic »

Sorry no idea on fabrication prices.

MR2-Ben does this twin box exhaust for the 3SGE http://www.mr2-ben.co.uk/products/view/ ... -1989-1999

I've recently welded an additional silencer into my Blitz NUR R exhaust (thread HERE), I used a small round stainless steel Jetex silencer as space was tight. If you can pick up a cheap NA Japspeed exhaust it may be possible to cut out the standard silencers and replace them with a couple of these 2.5" oval Jetex silencers which should help reduce the noise level a fair bit. https://www.jetex.co.uk/jetex/store/ind ... uctId=2937

I'd contact some online exhaust fabricators and see what your best option would be.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
Nic

Post by Nic »

Had an ask around and Powerflow were recommended if you wanted to go the custom exhaust route.

http://www.powerflowexhausts.co.uk/

They also sell silencers and other parts separately

http://www.powerflowexhausts.co.uk/products/silencers/
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
TheLepresean

Post by TheLepresean »

My quick bit of Googling wasn't exactly extolling them as high quality, apparently fairly inferior steel is used etc etc?

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/ ... -any-good/

http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic. ... 5&p=395074

Still, for £10 (depending on what the "small bit of work needed" is) I surely can't go too wrong!
Nic

Post by Nic »

Fujitsubo do a version of the Legalis R for the 3SGE which has twin back boxes and according to the details on their website is similar to stock in terms of noise levels.

http://www.fujitsubo.co.jp/prods/detail ... 6/00000388

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6nOLylsi5Y
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
TheLepresean

Post by TheLepresean »

Certainly sounds nice enough (though something appears to come flying out of the near side exhaust at some point!), the boxes seem to fit quite low, and on a slant though? There are a lot of speed bumps around where I live and I worry they'd ground out... the Powerflow being offered on my other thread looks nice, and I'm sure very pretty given a bit of elbow grease. Tempted to give it a go.
TheLepresean

Post by TheLepresean »

Certainly sounds nice enough (though something appears to come flying out of the near side exhaust at some point!), the boxes seem to fit quite low, and on a slant though? There are a lot of speed bumps around where I live and I worry they'd ground out... the Powerflow being offered on my other thread looks nice, and I'm sure very pretty given a bit of elbow grease. Tempted to give it a go.
Nic

Post by Nic »

TheLepresean wrote:the Powerflow being offered on my other thread looks nice, and I'm sure very pretty given a bit of elbow grease. Tempted to give it a go.

Just seen that thread, can't really go wrong for £10 if it is fully stainless.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
dexter

Post by dexter »

+1 powerflow exhausts

I had a custom powerflow fitted in St Albans, great exhaust and the sound is amazing over 3500 revs but subtle for cruising :thumleft: Cost me £240 all in for them to fabricate from scratch.
"Got me some of those HSBC coilovers..." / "You mean HSD right..."
TheLepresean

Post by TheLepresean »

Sorry Nic, I presumed you'd seen the thread as you mentioned Powerflow shortly after he offered his! He doesn't seem convinced it's all stainless steel, though for the sake of £20 or whatever I'm tempted to give it a try.

And thanks Dexter, not as expensive as I was expecting! What do you do, just go in with a picture or something and say "make me that"? Or do they have set designs that you pick from? St Albans isn't that far from me (otherwise of the M25), so I'm equally tempted to go up and investigate! It'd be cool to have an exhaust that I'd designed myself!
Nic

Post by Nic »

TheLepresean wrote:Sorry Nic, I presumed you'd seen the thread as you mentioned Powerflow shortly after he offered his! He doesn't seem convinced it's all stainless steel, though for the sake of £20 or whatever I'm tempted to give it a try.

Stainless steel (definitely the type used in exhausts) tends not to be magnetic, it could be a combination of stainless and mild steel so test the pipes and the silencers with a magnet.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
dexter

Post by dexter »

They're experts and will make anything you ask as long as it fits but the more custom it is the more expensive the bill so remember that. I chose a can they had in stock and tips etc and how i wanted it angled, tucked etc.

shops called EMP performance, amazing customer service and they're waiting area upstairs is unbelievable, it's like a mini museum of can engines :thumleft:

Worth a ring imo
"Got me some of those HSBC coilovers..." / "You mean HSD right..."
TheLepresean

Post by TheLepresean »

Will do, thanks Nic. And I might just pop in when I'm feeling a bit richer, thanks Dexter :thumleft:

Return to “Modifications”