Do insurers charge more for NA to Turbo conversions anymore?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

bluesmoke

Do insurers charge more for NA to Turbo conversions anymore?

Post by bluesmoke »

As opposed to factory turbo cars I mean. Once they are modified etc. surely it's all much the same, so is there any real downside to using an NA as a project base if a suitable turbo can't be found?

I have been talking to a couple of people about turbo shells but haven't made much progress on them yet, hence my mind wandering somewhat.... :D
CalMac

Re: Do insurers charge more for NA to Turbo conversions anymore?

Post by CalMac »

This is what I'm worried about when I've finished my turbo conversion. I get the impression they're going to take the biscuit with insurance ](*,)
Krish

Post by Krish »

When I was with A-plan they charged me £75 more when my Rev 5 was converted to turbo with charge cooler and all other mods declared including engine bay spray job.

I was very happy :thumleft:

Best to call your insurer and get a price before conversion. That's what I did
RST

Post by RST »

This is what I'm worried about when I've finished my turbo conversion. I get the impression they're going to take the biscuit with insurance [Brick wall]

...Brave man, a check with the insurers first is usually what I do with any mod. Not the first time a cars been up for sale because can't get insured after buying (I've bought a few that way cheap also).

I think you need to ask your insurers -there's so many variables, half of which how attractive and "nickable" the car is depending on your postcode.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Definitely cheaper than an original turbo as it's still classified as the slower car. Great reason for turbo conversions.
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

Rob wrote:Definitely cheaper than an original turbo as it's still classified as the slower car. Great reason for turbo conversions.

I call BS on that, many insurers will not cover engine conversions, a factory turbo is likely to be cheaper than a conversion as it's not a "modified" car..

however what is cheap to insure for one person may not be for another.. only way to find out is to get quotes
Rob

Post by Rob »

Rob85 wrote:
Rob wrote:Definitely cheaper than an original turbo as it's still classified as the slower car. Great reason for turbo conversions.

I call BS on that, many insurers will not cover engine conversions, a factory turbo is likely to be cheaper than a conversion as it's not a "modified" car..

however what is cheap to insure for one person may not be for another.. only way to find out is to get quotes

Call it BS if you want - I've been paying peanuts for my rev3 turbo converted uk Rev2 since it was converted in 2007.

Whenever I start a new insurance period they ask about modifications and I say about the engine and they just put it down as a performance modification.

That has been with A-plan, Sky and now Classic line.

Currently paying £230 for 3000 miles limited cover fully comp. including commuting with a list of chassis and engine mods as long as your arm.
RST

Post by RST »

Rob85 wrote:
Rob wrote:
Definitely cheaper than an original turbo as it's still classified as the slower car. Great reason for turbo conversions.

Call it BS if you want - I've been paying peanuts for my rev3 turbo converted uk Rev2 since it was converted in 2007.

Whenever I start a new insurance period they ask about modifications and I say about the engine and they just put it down as a performance modification.

That has been with A-plan, Sky and now Classic line.

Currently paying £230 for 3000 miles limited cover fully comp. including commuting with a list of chassis and engine mods as long as your arm.

I call BS also -BUT it depends on your insurer. It's a major mod on your original car which racks up. It depends on too many things. Only way to check -phone round first!
Rob

Post by Rob »

Enjoy your premiums then guys :whistle:
RST

Post by RST »

Sorry Rob, what's your age, post code, car history please. Might help. :thumleft:
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

That made me laugh. :lol:
Rob

Post by Rob »

RST wrote:Sorry Rob, what's your age, post code, car history please. Might help. :thumleft:

Back when I had the work done:

RG19 3SY
Parked on the road outside the house

Mods at the time:

Alloys
Coilovers
Strut braces
Exhaust and decat
Interior swapped out to recaro optional seats / door cards, steering wheel, Gear knob
Clear lights
Rev3 rears
Air filter
Dump valve

(loads more now but not relevant to price below)

Fully comprehensive insurance including commuting - 3000 miles limited policy - 9 years NCB when converted

Car history:

0.5 year in a Citroen Visa 1.1,
3.5 years in a VW Jetta 1.6,
5 years in the MR2 with regular 2l n/a engine

Cost me £480. Before the conversion the same cost me £430 with Sky.

Lots has changed - loads more mods, moved house - on drive now, married and have kids and more NCB - paying £230 for same policy.
Last edited by Rob on Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:

That made me laugh. :lol:

When I say great reason, I mean if you have a very solid car that you trust - it makes sense to keep it and upgrade the engine which is reasonably straight forward.

If my car wasn't as solid I wouldn't have converted, I would have sought a good Rev3 Turbo - ultimately the original Turbo's are more desirable and will be worth more in future.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”