Average Price for a full re-spray?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Jaz-MR21991

Average Price for a full re-spray?

Post by Jaz-MR21991 »

Hey,

I understand that it will vary due to rust, dents and scratches. But from experience how much have you paid for a full re-spray on your mr2?

thanks
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Re: Average Price for a full re-spray?

Post by Peter Gidden »

Depends on quality.

If you want no lacquer lines, then screen, weatherstrips, 1/4 lights, front and rear lights, rub strips etc. will all need removing. Plus all panels like frunk, engine lid, boot, rear wing etc. will need removing.

Then all refitted when painted. That is how Craig's T Bar project is being done.

For the above, expect to pay about £3K.
glen n

Post by glen n »

The only way to keep costs a bit lower is to remove parts yourself. I stripped my car which took ages and then put it all together again. Costs vary hugely though,it depends if your replacing the windscreen,any of the seals that need replaced. your side vent fixings may break upon removal as with rub strips. I didn't pay a huge amount for my spray job but it looks nice enough,whereas others on here have spent a lot more and their jobs will be mint.
glen n

Post by glen n »

One thing I will say,if there's any bubbles on the sills address it now. I had my passenger side replaced and now the drivers one has bubbled. They are solid but there's obviously moisture inside. I'll need to have the drivers side done 6 months after having the car painted
Rory

Post by Rory »

Yep - A decent job is going to cost the best part of 3k. Having said that you will always find someone to do it for 1k. Check out the respray videos on youtube. Makes me laugh when they respray cars without taking even the lights out, let along bumpers, glass, doors etc. There's so much prep that its not even funny. Lots of labour and the cost of materials/paint isn't exactly cheap.
Rory

Post by Rory »

3k on a respray then you sell it for 4.5k lol :pale:
Rory

Post by Rory »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqS1J2Hx4eM

Here's an example of a cheap job. Doesnt even look primed. Bumpers etc still on. You get what you pay for!
RST

Post by RST »

I paid just short of £4k on mine once, but that included new trim also-which was well worth it if you're going to the hassle of a strip down. £3k otherwise for a decent job. Only thing I would say is 5 years ago water based paints were all I could get a commercial spray painter to do (against my gut feeling) -and I still believe water based is just crap and has proved on several cars not hard wearing enough. If you can find someone who will spray 2K, or cellulose -go for it. It's well worth it.
Torero

Post by Torero »

£3k for a good job, without a doubt. Checkout my TRD build thread. I saved by doing the rubbing down myself.

Rubbing down from primer by hand took 3 days as youo have to include all the components such as engine lid, light covers, engine cover, rear screen garnish etc. not just the chassis, bumpers, doors, bonnet and boot lid

To remove trim including quarter lights another day and to replace well at least a day (as I need to sort all the screws/bolts out :oops:) .

That's 5 days minimum which you need to pay to get a decent job done. Work it out at say an average of £50 an hour and you can see where the cost is, it's all in the preparation and not just the ability of the sprayer. Mind you, the effort was worth it.

3VZ-FE V6 TRD Widebody Replica

Draven wrote "TRD dude. TRD... Can see awesomness from anywhere. "

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0
Poker Face

Post by Poker Face »

I have been uming and r'ing about getting a respray but f I did I'd want to get a decent body kit fitted first.
I've also been toying with the idea of a body wrap (Thanks Topgear). Has anyone ever had a wrap done on a MR2 and was it any good? I get that it might not be as long term as a full respray but taking into account the value a respray would add( sweet fa ) how long you may own the cat etc, I can't help but think a wrap might be a good financial option and if it's pants you can peel it off.
Any thoughts, experience on this welcomed?
craig

Post by craig »

Poker Face wrote:but taking into account the value a respray would add( sweet fa )

Why would a full respray add nothing to the value of the car?
Poker Face

Post by Poker Face »

So a 3k car has a 3-4k respray is it worth 6k? No it's not that's all I meant. Whatever you spend on a car, mods etc it doesn't add that much value in comparison to what you have spent. It will just look nicer or drive quicker and is all in the pride of ownership. If you are looking to sell it in 12 months then it's a lot of money for little added value.

Please feel free to be picky and if you find the time maybe you can say something constructive.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

this is my old car, sprayed in a shed with a 70 year old compressor. i couldnt afford a spray job at the time but the paint was so faded that painting it myself was my only option, let it be known, i'm no painter. it never had the bodykit or wing when i had it though.

it cost the price of paint and filler. less than £100 in total.
craig

Post by craig »

Poker Face wrote:So a 3k car has a 3-4k respray is it worth 6k? No it's not that's all I meant. Whatever you spend on a car, mods etc it doesn't add that much value in comparison to what you have spent. It will just look nicer or drive quicker and is all in the pride of ownership. If you are looking to sell it in 12 months then it's a lot of money for little added value.

Please feel free to be picky and if you find the time maybe you can say something constructive.

Get out of the wrong side of the bed this morning fella? :lol:

I never said that the cost of the respray will be added onto the market value of the car, but it certainly will add value if the car has had a full strip down respray to a high standard.

Now, put that dummy back in. Image
Poker Face

Post by Poker Face »

RedMR² wrote:
Poker Face wrote:So a 3k car has a 3-4k respray is it worth 6k? No it's not that's all I meant. Whatever you spend on a car, mods etc it doesn't add that much value in comparison to what you have spent. It will just look nicer or drive quicker and is all in the pride of ownership. If you are looking to sell it in 12 months then it's a lot of money for little added value.

Get out of the wrong side of the bed this morning fella? :lol:

I never said that the cost of the respray will be added onto the market value of the car, but it certainly will add value if the car has had a full strip down respray to a high standard.

Now, put that dummy back in. Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://www.jonrb.com/emoticons/pathead.gif

Lol yeah okay I agree with that and if you spend good money on a bodykit and respray you can end up with a sexy looking car as good looking if not better than some current cars. My wife however does not agree with this. She thinks my tubby is a waste of money mid life crisis car.
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Poker Face wrote:My wife however does not agree with this. She thinks my tubby is a waste of money mid life crisis car.

Jaz-MR21991

Post by Jaz-MR21991 »

Thanks for all the information you lot! I know the only way to get the best result is to just have it done properly, and believe me if I had the money I'd do it straight away! I just hoped that someone would say that they had a great job done for around 1500 lol! I can dream.

Saying that Sheppys DIY job looks amazing!, my boyfriend has a spray gun and we stripped his rx7 and had a go at spraying his engine bay together - looks amazing but yes it was loads of prep even just for the engine bay! and with my 2 being my daily drive.... :-k.. saying that I managed an engine conversion :oldtongue:.

O well great info guys atleast I have an idea now... the saving continues :)
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

it's not about how the paint goes on (well, not all about that) once the paint's on, you can polish it up really well to get a smooth finish, there are decent painters who will do it for under 1k, you won't get the same attention to detail though, it'd just be a mask up job and paint, rather than taking out windows etc....mine was a mask job, done in a few hours (minus prep), my mindset was "well, it HAS too look better than it does now" :) the paint was really bad and faded and stuff.

if you have a compressor and somewhere to paint, give it a go yourself. if you mask it up properly, what's the worst that can happen?? runs etc will buff out.
al/c

spray job

Post by al/c »

i,ve always done my own, the prep work is the most important thing!..but also i have found places that will rent you a proper spray booth for around £150 a day so your time + paint , laquer will be a lot cheaper than 3K......mind you i,ve been spraying bikes & cars for a long time :)
Jaz-MR21991

Post by Jaz-MR21991 »

Your exactly right. Funnily enough me and my bf are currently spraying a small section of the rear bumper on his dad's merc! We are just using a rattle can but the smoothing is bringin it up really well. And to be honest there's only certain panels of my car that need attention. I could get away with a mask up job and just smooth it in myself because yes it can only look better that what it does now lol. Thanks :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”